I-Wayne

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Jeff Chang posted the following on his blog in a discussion of Sizzla's signing to Dame Dash.

-------------------------

And now everyone is supposedly talking about roots again. But forgive me, because this is my sound, but I gotta say this: I Wayne is not the real thing, Jah Cure can't tour for another decade, the Marleys (even those whose mother is not named Rita) always get a free pass from foreign, and all of these dudes have women problems. How long will this last?

-------------------------

Putting aside the issue of woman problems :), I wondered what prompted the statement about I-Wayne, and asked, getting the following answer via a comment response (I don't suppose there's a problem with posting this here given that it's already in the public domain).

------------------------

He's not the next Sizzla. I just think Satisfy is not that satisfying. One trick pony.

-----------------------

What do people think of this in light of the new album? I haven't heard it yet, but have high expectations. And given the quality of IW's recent singles: Living in Love etc. I think J is being a little hard on the man.

Clubberlang

Elephant Man and Vybz have albums coming out this year. I can believe (given the right song and the right promotion) either one of those guys having a hit single stateside (I have no idea what Sean Paul is doing though.) On the roots-ier end, yeah, I like I-Wayne (what I've heard--three or four songs) well enough, but he doesn't exactly have crossover hit stamped on his forehead or anything (neither does Sizzla actually, but the Foxy stuff is good signs I can see an interesting Roc album coming out of this, but it probably won't sell well.) Actually other than Damien (who obviously already has) I can't see any of this stuff breaking above-ground here.

clappa

Aka Skrewface
Unfortunatly, I-Wayne does not have the right people behind him (production wise). Loyal Soldiers being from Portmore i.e. not "ghetto", they have likkle change and they got the equipment still I-Wayne is attached or more likely tied up to the weak Loyal Soldier productions. He showed us he can still shine on other producers hands, just listen to the great song called Living In Love which is produced by Joe Gibbs son.

I got a hold of the I-Wayne album the 12th this month and was listening to it on my way home. The album itself is somehow unbalanced, what I mean is that they could do without a lot of tunes but then who would buy a 4 track album? :eek: