Astro Black

Jim Daze

I picked up a vg copy of this in Reckless yesterday for 30 boys after doing some trade. It is a fantastic album and kinda fits into that whole Langquidity area of Ra's output, can't believe it has not be re-issued (correct me if I'm wrong). Also it has the best cover ever !!!!! and great liner notes.

theve got loads down there at the mo, all the saturn ones are 135 but they have one more astro black for 25. :D

Woebot

Jim Daze said:
I picked up a vg copy of this in Reckless yesterday for 30 boys after doing some trade. It is a fantastic album and kinda fits into that whole Langquidity area of Ra's output, can't believe it has not be re-issued (correct me if I'm wrong). Also it has the best cover ever !!!!! and great liner notes.

theve got loads down there at the mo, all the saturn ones are 135 but they have one more astro black for 25. :D
ive got astro-black too. i think the reason it missed the reissue programme is that it came out on impulse (is your copy marked "promotional item not for resale"? weirdly most of them are...) evidence did the saturn reissues didnt they...

i had to give up buying ra lps (i have in the region of 30) it became too expensive :-( though weirdly i sold a few, i sold a saturn original of 'media dream' that has just been reissued by art yard, i never thought that was much cop that record.

Jim Daze

Must admit i was a bit underwhelmed by 'Media Dreams' myself after what i had read about it. That Disco 3000 is much more immediately astounding though, if only for the intrigueing 'techno' flavour of it all.
Yes my Impulse copy of Astro Black has a promo only not for resale sticker on it.
The mystique with Ra is so strong it can often cloud ones judgement as to what is a good record

or even simply

what is ? :D

Woebot

Jim Daze said:
Yes my Impulse copy of Astro Black has a promo only not for resale sticker on it.
i think what happened was that impulse didnt actually put them out in the end, so its only promos in circulation, though i'll have to check szwed. would be very happy to be corrected/admonished (if that doesnt sound too masochistic
wink.gif
)

hey jim, i got an email out of the blue from the ra authority harmut geerken after that un ra thing i did !!!!

"We like it, be sure. A challenge for those who learnt English in school, like me, Hartmut´s wife.
Thanks for answering, we´ll keep the article in our Sun Ra archive, now with your name on it.
Sigi (Sigrid Hauff)"

biggrin.gif

Last edited:

DavidD

can't be stopped
Lanquidity is my favorite Ra LP, I also have the double-disc singles collection which is fun but not what I was expecting - there's a lot of R&B and blues in there! Its great of course.

I would kill to hear a copy of Disco 3000...or Astro Black for that matter.

My favorite track on Lanquidity is, I think, "That's How I Feel," the one with the bent bass note going on in the background and the repetitive vamp, sort of beautifully drippy funk, rubbery bass and hypnotic vibe, with Ra's keyboards sort of swirling and spiraling around the music, the saxophone simultaneously dissonant and relaxed, calming. "There are Other Worlds They have Not Told You Of" is impressive, but also incredibly frightening at parts...I was falling asleep while listening to it on headphones, and at the end it ebbs and flows and it was bringing me to sleep and suddenly there was this huge synth-chopping sound and I woke up scared out of my mind, like when you're just falling asleep and you dream that you've tripped.

Anyway, who wants to hook me up w some of that Sun Ra love?

Last edited:

Woebot

DavidD said:
I would kill to hear a copy of Disco 3000...or Astro Black for that matter.
You can get Disco 3000 at the moment, i think.

I'll sort you out with some stuff DavidD. I have a CD i made for a friend last year of my favourite Ra tracks, it's ace. Private message me.

DavidD

can't be stopped
PM'd, but I'm going to bed so i won't get your response til tomorrow probably. Its 5 AM here! I need some sleep.
Thanks again

Jim Daze

Whats the best book about Ra to read, anyone got any reccomendations.
I'm doing a powerpoint presentation at college about him, it's great no ones heard of him and they all think I'm dead obscure, the guy who runs a internet course had not even heard of blogging !!! can you believe that, inexcusable in late 04 when it's over already :D

DavidD

can't be stopped
John F Szwed's biography is terrific. There are also great pieces/interviews w/ him in the Wire's archives, if you browse around I'm sure youd find them.