Cover Versions That Mess With The DNA

Loki

On the way to work John Cale's version of 'Heartbreak Hotel' came on and it struck me that there are very few cover versions that attempt to really reconfigure the original; very few that end up like an evil twin. Cale's version looks like it's been interpreted by a hostage victim or Searle's Chinese Room.

Any others? Maybe The Slits "Heard it Through the Grapevine?"

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Nico-my funny valentine
Michael mayer-love is stronger than pride
Most VVM stuff (one joke/5 years)
That Mad World Donnie Darko thing (still not seen that film but my impeccable intuition tells me not to)

There was a SHITTY trend in the late 80's for indie bands to cover soul/dance things in a shouty
/aggressive manner (eg; Age of Chance -Kiss - toss was not the word)

zhao

there are no accidents
Senior Coconut - Autobahn (and a bunch of others)

labrat said:
Donnie Darko thing (still not seen that film but my impeccable intuition tells me not to)

impeccable as your intuition may have proven to be through the years, it is very much mistaken in this instance.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
labrat said:
There was a SHITTY trend in the late 80's for indie bands to cover soul/dance things in a shouty
/aggressive manner (eg; Age of Chance -Kiss - toss was not the word)
I'm not sure I agree, and in any event, their version of Disco Inferno was fantastic.

See also: World Domination Enterprises, I can't live without my radio.

Last edited by a moderator:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
confucius said:
impeccable as your intuition may have proven to be through the years, it is very much mistaken in this instance.
my buddy tells me its great BUT the ending ruins it.

then there's Soft Cell/Coil/ Marilyn manson all havin' a pop at tainted love.

mms

sometimes
2stepfan said:
I'm not sure I agree, and in any event, their version of Disco Inferno was fantastic.

See also: World Domination Enterprises, I can't live without my radio.

what a weird band are they from sheffield = they recorded that track at fon

unchained melody by human league

Loki

yeah the Coil tainted love might be seen as a reconfiguration, especially when you add that weird video they did for it into the mix...

What about Psychic TV doing: "Santa Claus is checking his list..." (forget the title) on Dreams Les Sweet.... still feel a little sordid putting that on my 4 year old girls mix CD alongside The Banana Splits and the kids from The Sound of Music (mind you, there's also a number of songs from The Wicker Man on there that she loves...)

And I liked the Age of Chance, didn't I?

Loki

yeah, you're right - I hated them; knew I felt strongly about them one way or another, just picked the wrong bile duct.... God, how I loathed Age of Fucking Chancers!!

Just thought of another... I can't believe I forgot Laibach's Life is Life and, well pretty much everything they ever covered...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
mms said:
what a weird band are they from sheffield = they recorded that track at fon
Nah, Leeds. Hung out with them when Swans played Leeds.
Did a great album, 1000 Years of Trouble.
When the poppies did Love Missile F1-11 at Fon the engineer walked out cos of the "666" references. Wasn't anyone I knew...
mms said:
unchained melody by human league
You've lost that loving feeling by human league

Oh yeah -- Travis do a cracking version of "Hit Me Baby One More Time".

I quite like NiN's version of Joy Divison's Dead Souls, but I guess that puts me beyond the pale :eek:

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Loki said:
Just thought of another... I can't believe I forgot Laibach's Life is Life and, well pretty much everything they ever covered...
Geburt Einer Nation (Queen's One Vision) was always a favourite.

Anyone else see em at QEH in, what, 1987?

"Santa Claus is checking his list" on Dreams Less Sweet? [Furrows brow] No, that doesn't ring a bell... John?

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Laibach'

saw them at the RNCM in Manchester 'bout then (exceedingly bad choice for a first date)

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
labrat said:
Laibach: saw them at the RNCM in Manchester 'bout then (exceedingly bad choice for a first date)
Didn't get to fuck, huh?

Actually there's another thread there -- worst possible first date gigs / clubs ...

I always thought Cassandra Complex were pretty awful, though Rodney Orpheus was a good bloke.

Now, Digvisdrill -- well under-appreciated.

Last edited:

martin

----
I love Slaughter and the Dogs' cover of "Waiting for My Man" - ditches any semblance of bohemian cool and makes it sound like a Status Quo-style lighter-waving pub rock anthem, brilliant!

mms

sometimes
sapstra said:
i always liked the laibach covers:

accross the univese : the beatles song sung by a girls choir
leben heist leben : "life is life" by scandinavian rockers europe made into some militaristic march
geburt einer nation : queen's "one nation" in german. In that language, the following lyrics

"One flesh one bone,
One true religion,
One voice one hope,
One real decision,
Wowowowo gimme one vision "

become quite reminiscient of darker times in '30s/40's germany. Remind, these are queen's lyrics

that europe track is actually by a band called opus - its always quite fascinating how massive tracks in really bad soft rock cliches become
whitesnake and also with additonal appauling engish roxette

my fave sort of cover is bucanners version of enyas orinoco flow called fade away - 'gwan gal gwan gwan'

labrat

hot on the heels of love
johnny cash-personal jesus is ;

a) very good
b)portentious
c) not as good as the original

blunt

shot by both sides
labrat said:
johnny cash-personal jesus

He also did a great cover of U2's "One" - which is definitely better than the original :)

Other great covers that spring to mind include:

- "Somewhere" (the one from "West Side Story") by Tom Waits

- "Come as You Are" by Dani Siciliano

- "Califronia Dreamin'" by Jose Feliciano (more light gene therapy than full blown DNA-fuck, but still...)

- pretty much every track on the "Givin' It Back" LP by the Isley Brothers

Also, anyone here heard the "Soft Pink Truth" <a href="http://www.magicandaccident.com/the_soft_pink_truth_discography.htm" target="_blank">album</a> that came out late last year? It kind of loses its drive towards the end, but I think it rocks.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Nouvelle Vague yet... bit overground for serious mention on this forum nowadays, but I loved what they did to "Too Drunk To Fuck" :)

Oh, I love covers, me... but, yes, only if they fuck with the original. Otherwise you're just Will Young, and what's the point of that (or him, in fact)..?

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Regarding Personal Jesus I think it's wonderful, I heard it after a funeral once- you've heard the expression "not a dry eye in the house"......

mms

sometimes
labrat said:
Regarding Personal Jesus I think it's wonderful, I heard it after a funeral once- you've heard the expression "not a dry eye in the house"......

my personal faves off that lp are ' first time ' his voice sounds like the first moon landing would sound if it was cnverted into music

and also nin 'hurt' which is truly lovely in his hands and almost unlistenable at times it's so moving.