exclusive skream interview and mix

mms

sometimes
just read it - ace mate .
its interesting to see to read his personal history/entry points and influences other other people who are making garage/grime etc.

are you going to interview terrah danjah again at all ?
he seems to be a producers producer , an incredible innovator but in this kind of almost timbaland linage in his approach with all the trademarks and ticks, and the way he works with girl singers and mcs.
he almost straddles grime and croydon garage as well, in that dubstep people are big into him and his productions are far from basic.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
mms said:
are you going to interview terrah danjah again at all ?
he seems to be a producers producer , an incredible innovator but in this kind of almost timbaland linage in his approach with all the trademarks and ticks, and the way he works with girl singers and mcs.
he almost straddles grime and croydon garage as well, in that dubstep people are big into him and his productions are far from basic.

hmm. i dunno. i spoke to terror at length a couple of months ago for the first time in ages. i do rate him, and i know Kode 9 particularly feels his tunes, but right now i'm not sure you could single him out over say Wiley, Ruff Sqwad, Mizz Beats, Target, Shotz, DaVinche, Danny Weed or Footsie in terms of production ideas right now. that said i suspect he may be coming with some more dancefloor riddims after the r&g thing.

also you mention timbaland but to me what's unique about terror v say target's beats is not the influence of timbaland but the influence of jungle.

mms

sometimes
Blackdown said:
hmm. i dunno. i spoke to terror at length a couple of months ago for the first time in ages. i do rate him, and i know Kode 9 particularly feels his tunes, but right now i'm not sure you could single him out over say Wiley, Ruff Sqwad, Mizz Beats, Target, Shotz, DaVinche, Danny Weed or Footsie in terms of production ideas right now. that said i suspect he may be coming with some more dancefloor riddims after the r&g thing.

also you mention timbaland but to me what's unique about terror v say target's beats is not the influence of timbaland but the influence of jungle.

yeah i'm not singling him out over anyone and i get what you are saying about jungle - the way he layers beats over each other and places the bass etc, the timbaland thing comes from his trade use of sounds and the cackling noise etc, its not like he's been influenced by timbaland as a producer ,you hear that more in say underground in the use of space and noise and the almost electro thing its the working manner.
that jungle thing is the interesting axis tho - as skreamz was saying and i know alot of the croydon lot were big junglists .

that was actually a good, well informed and......

.....balanced (I guess lol) read. Well done man. 800 tunes?!?!?!?!?!? F*** man.

echevarian

babylon sister
I think its really interesting how all the post jungle/ post garage scenes tend to trade their musical make up back and forth. I didn't get into dubstep until it started incorporating more melodic elements ie synths with chord changes. Early Dubstep of the Mark One variety just bored me shitless, no offense to the man, he's done a lot for the music just by getting it into IDM fan's hands.

I always liked the Plasticman dark techsteppy grime, especially when it got more ambient.

Londons just this huge multicultural stew of influences, it keeps kicking out all these different mutations.

I love it when dubstep and grime producers trade ideas, personally I think its the future of both sounds.

Y'know FWD and all that.

Just can't seem to get that into breakstep or broken beat for some reason.

Toasty Boys alright I guess.

But Yeah, major ups to Skream, and Blackdown.

DJ-Distinction

Big up Martin Clark and massive shout going out to Skream absolute legend!

Will never ever forget that bus journey from Brixton to Croyden after DMZ guy almost seriously killed me with laughter.

Big up once again !

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
He was so hot. He looked like he was wearing a scuba diving outfit.

I GET IT!

BENGA = SCUBA!

big interview. big mix. amazing.

mms

sometimes
minikomi said:
He was so hot. He looked like he was wearing a scuba diving outfit.

I GET IT!

BENGA = SCUBA!

blimey do you read those bible code books and believe their significance too ;)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Great interview.

Just wanna say, just before I left London, when 2step was winding down, the sound I always went big for was Hatcha's DJ sets on Upfront... just so deep, so dubby, really abstract but focused on the bass. Music that took its "pop" reference point from Groove Chronicles' Black Puppet and went darkside from there.

Hatcha's a hero, really vital node in the scene.

One moment I'll never forget, parking the car outside the house in Brixton, dark, Hatcha on the radio, the waves of bass rolling down the street, this amazing sense of huge forces in perfect balance, perfect peace...