whatever happened to Mark Hollis?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
It's been nearly 10 years since his fantastic solo album came out, and since then...Ziiip!

whats happned to this 'Elvis' of UK post-rock?

soundslike1981

Weirdly, I think there was a thread here about this within the last couple weeks. Apparently, he's become a mystic Christian and has given up music. Very sad.

Just got a copy of the O'Rang CD for $7 today, in a semi-related useless note.

dHarry

jed_ said:
Bark Psychosis = most overrated underrated band ever.

mmm... loved 'hex' when it came out. I lost the cassette in a house move recently and realised I hadn't really listened to it that often. Even so I was mildly dismayed to hear Simon R. here admit that he hadn't even heard it since his original rave review in Melody Maker!!

How many other LPs has he convinced me to buy and love that he abandoned with such impunity and callousness?! Most other reviewers I would take with a pinch of salt, but Reynolds always had me running to the record shops.

I have to confess I never really loved AR Kane's LPs either despite Simon's eulogising - always sounded half-baked, under-produced, better ideas than music. Then there was his beloved Bass-o-matic "Set the controls for the heart of the bass", which was nice in parts but a little cheesy for my tastes - Ladytron recently quoted it as a big influence, along with 10 City, War of the Worlds and Bob Dylan?! (Ladytron (like Portishead), maybe the most underrated overrated band ever. They never seem to put a foot wrong - not a drop in quality anywhere over 2 albums, brimming over with affecting melodies and lyrical mystery, synth riffs and digital organ drones that seem to flow directly into the bloodstream and caress the nervous systems's peasure centres, punishing drum-box beats, delirious details - Joy Division doom-bass guitar, atonal violin squall, phased guitar chords - pop pleasure overload in a post-industrial dystopia...)

henry s

Street Fighting Man
"Reynolds always had me running to the record shops. " (hmmm...can't fgure out that quote thing)

surely this is another potential thread (i.e. which music writers are responsible for the most records in your collection?)...seems I can link pretty much every other entity in my collection to some piece of writing or another (Reynolds in MM, Penman in The Wire, Bob Stanley in Uncut, etc.)...not sure if I should be embarassed by that or not...

on another note, I was disappointed by that Boymerang album...thought that Sutton took on Jungle on its terms, not his...sounded very pedestrian at the time...

D84

Sutton / Boymerang detour

henry s said:
on another note, I was disappointed by that Boymerang album...thought that Sutton took on Jungle on its terms, not his...sounded very pedestrian at the time...

Yeah there were a couple of average tracks on it which I thought would be typical of first albums, but some good ones that justified the purchase price: erm Acid, The River, and the first track appeal to me.

I'll have to try to find some of his other remixes.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
D84 said:
Here's a picture of him getting an award last year for that No Doubt cover:

http://bmi.com/musicworld/musicpeople/200410/mhollis.asp

What do people think of that last Bark Psychosis album? The Talk Talk influence there is unmistakable (yeah, I know a couple of guys from Talk Talk are on it). Maybe I'm just more of a Boymerang person.

CRICKEY! He looks like an old accountant! Shame how geniuses lose their marbles or get snubbed by the motherfuckers in the industry (suits and slackers alike) and turn to conservastive religions and whatnot. I guess when you make something so pure and real and true and unglamorous it doesn't translate to the materialism of glam+dollar+capatilist bullshit 'entertainment' paradigm.

jed_

Buick6 said:
Shame how geniuses lose their marbles or get snubbed by the motherfuckers in the industry (suits and slackers alike) and turn to conservastive religions and whatnot.

T.S.Eliot to thread!