Max/Msp/Jitter

I'm thinking of picking these up. Student licenses come in at £250 thanks to the weak $$. ;)

So, any Max users here? I'm particularly interested in Jitter but sure, music is nice too.

I'm wondering how the cheaper/open source alternatives measure up (pd users etc speak up!). Let me know what i should be looking up.

I'm a programmer looking to do some abstract audiovisual work in the next couple of years.

Heiko

abstract audiovisual work

I found max/msp/jitter much too complex to begin with. Until now never got the approach. But that may change, since these packages really seem to be advanced stuff...

If you really are planning to do "abstract audiovisual work in the next couple of years" I can recommend you "vizkit", an open source, OpenGL based iTunes visualizer seedwork. You can grab a copy of vizkit at http://www.imagomat.de/vizkit/.

The recommendation of course has nothing to do with that I happen to be the author of the vizkit work. No, honestly, iTunes visualizer work can be a great introduction to doing digital signal processing (DSP as they said in the old days, or VJ'ing as you say these days). It's not difficult to keep oneself occupied a couple of years with it.

shudder

I took a course last semester where we did a whole bunch of just Max/MSP work (I didn't dabble in the jitter), and it was AWESOME. It really makes you believe that there's a future for this sort of interactive live electronics music stuff (something which I'm usually quite skeptical of). There was definitely a little learning hump, but everyone in the class ended up making soemthing (or trying to make something) pretty cool. There is a free 30-day demo which you should definitely check out...

polystyle

Max , MSP, Jitter NYC

Hey Joan

While i do not (yet ?) use Max/MSP/ Jitter myself ,
I sit on the Board of Directors of a Not For Profit here that includes David Z of Cycling 74 who makes them and last night we jut had a Board meeting so all this Max stuff is fresh in my brain this AM .
If you like, ck out www.harvestworks.org , or if you have specific questions on your own project ,
you can call Hans there @212 431 1130 and tell him Stuart sent you .
Cheers

polystyle

Pluggo

Now the same people who make MAX and Jitter have an audio plug in called ... Pluggo .
On our last sessions we used it on some Game type music and it added some crazy sounds that we would had to work on for minutes > hours to get - if we would have imagined them at all !
Recommended ...