Russell Hoban

Tweak Head

Looking for some tips on which of Russell Hoban's books is his best. I read Riddley Walker, which is an astonishing book, well worth the effort of getting used to the language he uses. I then read Amaryllis Night and Day, because it looked interesting in the bookshop. It was OK, good in parts but disappointing in some ways, but I still want to explore more of his work. Any suggestions on what to read next? I'm going on holiday next week so will actually have some time to read.

Cheers.

polystyle

This here is mosly jus places ive tol of in this writing.

Every London dweller should read Riddley Walker ...
but sorry didn't rd anything else by Hoban ,
Riddley may well remain THE one

Tweak Head

Well, so far it is ... I've now read Amaryllis Night and Day and Kleinzeit and neither of them comes anywhere close. Anyone read Kleinzeit? WTF is that about?

Riddley Walker is in a league of its own. I wouldn't really bother with anything else by RH apart from 'The Mouse and his Child' and 'Turtle Diary' - and 'how Tom beat Captain Najork and his hired sportsmen' if you're 7 years old, of course

personally I loved Kleinzeit

I was just trying to think of someone else you'd read after RH and I simply can't come up with anyone; that is, someone who can combine being utterly transparent about his sources with such originality.

Last edited: