tripwire- the new scene is finally here

S

simon silverdollar

regular dissensus people might remember a while back that Martin wrote of the tripwire scene (ukrainian punk-rave) and urged all to check it out and spread the word.

well, finally, i've managed to track down a tripwire mp3 (rarer than bloody hen's teeth) so here you go:

dj cuntfinger- she got da beef

all bloggers and board-posters, please spread the word on tripwire (and also post any mp3s you find!). let's get this one into the Observer Music Magazine before the year is out...

S

simon silverdollar

oh, and silverdollarcircle.blogspot.com has a psot on it, if you can be bothered...

what the fuck??!! don't like the trance bits much, but the breakbeat bits sound nasty, esp. when the guitar stabs come in. sounds like fun, though i'll need to hear a bit more before i get converted...it's a bit old skool, innit?

mpc

wasteman
i've been into tripwire for a year or two now.

not really a fan of some of the more commercial stuff being released, but tripwire IS the new grime.

I WILL BE THE SIMON REYNOLDS OF TRIPWIRE.

Simon SDC, you can be the chantelle fiddy of tripwire.

I've told jack he can be tiny prancer, but i'm not sure he's got the bars.

nomos

Administrator
Tripwire's getting pretty stale though isn't it. I mean I went to a couple of parties when I was over there in 2001 and it was pretty intense (the amyl thing is true, btw, and it's a completely psychotic experience). But I'd peg the comparison closer to something like speed garage. As near as I could tell, when I was over a few months back, the real millenial, post-industrial, slavo-futurist business is coming from Belarus. It was spurred on in large part by a surplus of locally manufactured electronics and people's dissatisfaction with the country's quasi-feudal leadership. The region's obscene climate also contributes to the feel. They were calling it sabaka. It means dirty dog or something similar. Very hard to describe, but it involved a lot of raw sine waves and some militaristic beats. Lots of rhythmic moans in the rapping. I had a CD-R but a Belarussian customs officer took it from my bag at the airport.

Rambler

Awanturnik
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
difficult to tell from the filthy sound quality mind...

That's part of the sound innit - the distortion is a comment on the rotten core of the post-rave, post-communist dystopia. Vodka-bloodshot eyes opening on the violently fractured capitalist West. Reminds me of Viktor Pelevin - ex soldiers running around Moscow with a load of guns and a biscuit tin full of cocaine.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Problem with tripwire is that it's just too damn dangerous for journalists to go over there and check the scene out themselves. Outsiders are treated with disdain if not outright hostility.

If some enterprising/brave journo could go over there and even delve a little bit into the scene, well, I think there'd be an exclusive that they could sell to the highest bidder.

martin

----
I did an interview with several of the key players back in May, but the scene's getting a bit too homophobic for my liking now - after Imants Ikaunieks (of Defenestration Records) was shot while leaving Violent Armpit Fuck's 19th birthday bash, I want little to do with it anymore - though, I must say, 4-Trip sounds like a nice, mellow, intellectual, studentised, sanitised, Andi Peters-ised alternative

S

simon silverdollar

Diggedy Derek said:
Problem with tripwire is that it's just too damn dangerous for journalists to go over there and check the scene out themselves. Outsiders are treated with disdain if not outright hostility.

If some enterprising/brave journo could go over there and even delve a little bit into the scene, well, I think there'd be an exclusive that they could sell to the highest bidder.

i reckon tiny prancer should do it. he gets love on road anywhere, anytime.

john eden

male pale and stale
simon silverdollar said:
i reckon tiny prancer should do it. he gets love on road anywhere, anytime.

roadlove.jpg

mms

sometimes
personally i'm a bigger fan of the russian tape djing scene - a craze started up by those guys who clear peoples houses when they die -
a small clan of russian house clearers started taking booty of one cassette per house from the houses they were clearing and have since been djing with them using hand made mixers. a true soundtrack of dead russia.
since then the scene has grown beyond house clearers but there are growing fears that some fans of the scene are starting to rob the homes of the living in the search for new music weakening the originators outlook.

Last edited:

tryptych

waiting for a time
autonomicforthepeople said:
Tripwire's getting pretty stale though isn't it. I mean I went to a couple of parties when I was over there in 2001 and it was pretty intense (the amyl thing is true, btw, and it's a completely psychotic experience). .

What amyl thing....?

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
The problem with Tripwire is that, unless you're willing to risk completely fucking up your life by using ephedrone, you're missing out on a significant part of the equation. It's like going to a huge rave circa 1992 and deciding to skip the E. You'll pick up on some of the vibe, but the chances of attaining that epiphanic "fucking hell, so this is what its all about" moment is drastically reduced. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I find the 4-Trip stuff to be a lot more accessible without requiring that I destroy my brain. Shit is still well hard to find though.