Kanye West - Late Registration

Soooooooooooooooooo what's the Dissensus opinion?

Me? Im like the brotha is borderline genius....but that's me?

You?

Dubquixote

Submariner
You said it. First hip hop full length worth listening to since... His last one. But anyway that was the first since I can't remember when. Clipse probably. Kanye is just so right at the moment. His flows have come a long way since College Dropout, Jon Brion adds an extra level of refinement and complexity to Kanye's already dope production. The collabs are ace. This is just a quality record.

devilsbroth

chunky meat chunx
kanye

Really enjoyed the college dropout.
eye remember hearing 'through the wire' and thinking what the fuck is this, with the speeded up soul? vocal and how weird it was, but now has become a sort of hiphop staple
awesome!!!
l

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Jon Brion! :D That's really odd, but hopefully in a good way.

Aimee Mann, Fiona Apple... soundtracks for Punch Drunk Love, Magnolia, Eternal Sunshine, I Heart Huckabees... then Kanye West. Logical progression, I'm sure. ;)

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
In general I'm kinda ambivalent about Kanye. Obviously he's a quality producer and good MC, but somehow College Dropout wasn't good enough to keep for me. Some fantastic tracks, then some quite mediocre poppy ones.

But I do respect him for what he said yesterday on TV-
“I hate the way they portray us in the media.

“If you see a black family it says they are looting if you see a white family it says they are looking for food.

“And you know that it’s been 5 days because most of the people are black and even for me to complain … I would be a hypocrite because I would turn away from the TV because it’s too hard to watch. I’ve even been shopping before giving a donation and so right now I’m calling my business manager right to to see what is the biggest amount I can give.

“And just to imagine if I was down there, those are my people down there. So anybody out there who wants to help with the set up, the way that America is set up to help … The poor, the black people, the less well off as slow as possible. I mean, Red Cross is doing everything they can.

“We already realize alot of the people that could help are at war right now fighting another way and they’ve given them permission to go down and shoot us.”

(Mike Meyers tries to get back on prompter, reads from script and then camera cuts back to Kanye. He pauses before...)

Kanye West: “George Bush doesn’t care about black people.”

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I haven't heard his albums but I was really turned off from him after I saw caught a little bit of him on an HBO show. I think it is called "Def Poetry". Basically MCs rhyme without any music. He was just so smug and the whole thing is so pretentious.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
George Bush doesn't care about people generally, but I'm sure he IS a racist.

On a lighter note... check this thread from DJ D-STYLES' forum... its got a link to a 3 minute "in the studio" with Kanye thing where he's talking about music production while he's making some new beats... kinda interesting. Say's he was inspired by Portishead's take on hip hop... http://66.166.122.93/djdstyles/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008054 and while you're there, check out the posts by "funky b-style cut" for some laughs... i'd almost like to see the reaction if he posted on this board.

10:02am

Kanye West's unscripted statement was exhilerating, yes. However... while an on-air deviation might be one of the few places to get a clear anti-Bush statement across, it was potentially misplaced to do so on a charity event for victims. West ran the risk of turning people off of the cause, associating the fundraiser with his comments.

dominic

Beast of Burden
dsp13 said:
George Bush doesn't care about people generally, but I'm sure he IS a racist.

i think he's a closet classist -- as in the natural-born ruling class of the usa -- to the nth degree

whether he's a racist, i don't know

he tries to come off as a west texas populist and born-again xian -- and maybe he is a true-believer in xianity, as he does seem awfully sincere in his faith (to ward off misunderstanding, i'm an atheist, i.e., i believe in music, not gods) -- but there's been enough "inside accounts" of the bush family's belief in their right to rule (especially when they had to take a back seat to the commoner ronald reagan), that there can be no denying his class-ism

dominic

Beast of Burden
i'm actually more impressed by kanye's remarks about homophobia in the hip hop community and his efforts to combat it than his criticism of bush, if only b/c lots of people are outraged by the bush administration's response to new orleans crisis, but few rap stars have taken kanye's approach to issues of "masculinity"

D84

10:02am said:
Kanye West's unscripted statement was exhilerating, yes. However... while an on-air deviation might be one of the few places to get a clear anti-Bush statement across, it was potentially misplaced to do so on a charity event for victims. West ran the risk of turning people off of the cause, associating the fundraiser with his comments.

Yeah I dunno... I think Americans should get used to people execising their 1st amendment right on national TV. But then again I've never been to the US and probably never will.

Kanye West is a hero. Good on him for questioning "masculinity" too.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
dominic said:
i'm actually more impressed by kanye's remarks about homophobia in the hip hop community and his efforts to combat it than his criticism of bush, if only b/c lots of people are outraged by the bush administration's response to new orleans crisis, but few rap stars have taken kanye's approach to issues of "masculinity"

Word.

Haven't heard the album yet however. Loved the last one tho, so I will be checking it out.

Edit: whoops, George Bush doesn't care about black people.

Rambler

Awanturnik
10:02am said:

I've read this argument in a few places and don't buy it - there can't be many people (outside the administration ;) ) who don't see NO for the disaster it is; you're either gonna give your money or not. I can't imagine anyone just about to call the Red Cross, then seeing Kanye's bit and thinking 'Well I'm damn well not gonna give 'em my money now, let 'em rot...'

DJ PIMP

dominic said:
i think he's a closet classist -- as in the natural-born ruling class of the usa -- to the nth degree
Closet?
Bush had raised eyebrows on his first trip by, among other things, picking Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss. - instead of the thousands of mostly poor and black storm victims - as an example of loss. "Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house - he's lost his entire house - there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch," Bush said with a laugh from an airplane hangar in Mobile, Ala.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/12573970.htm

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Rambler said:
I've read this argument in a few places and don't buy it - there can't be many people (outside the administration ;) ) who don't see NO for the disaster it is; you're either gonna give your money or not. I can't imagine anyone just about to call the Red Cross, then seeing Kanye's bit and thinking 'Well I'm damn well not gonna give 'em my money now, let 'em rot...'

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1476904/posts

And numerous other threads on the Free Republic site. Lots of people saying that they'll give to their church. the Salvos etc rather than the Red Cross.

Not uite what you're saying. Regardless, it needed to be said.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Anyway, listened to this yesterday. Oh, the standouts are so good, but it is so poliched. The last album sounded sorta rough, and at the moment, I probably prefer the College Dropout.

But it's really, really good.