Grime Spam

Do you like Grime Spam?

• I really like Grime Spam. It's really great.

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Yeah I agree with you Woebizzle. Its pissing me off.

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters

Woebot

Seriously. How does everyone feel about this. To be honest, I'll have to admit, even though its occasionally coming from impeccable sources, its pissing me off.

Should we make a Grime Spam sub category in the Miscellaneous Forum

nomos

Administrator
What are you defining as spam/not spam?

I've long been in favour of sub-fora but, honestly, I see the excess of grime-related threads as an inevitable by-product of a board that is disproportionately obsessed with the genre. I ignore them if I'm not in the mood to read them.

It should be a sub-forum of Music though, not Misc.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yeah, could you be a bit more specific?

Do you mean Rossi B and Luca's threads (on which you just posted :)). Cos I'm grateful to get a chance to hear their shows via Dissensus, and it generates good threads...

Do you mean DJL telling us about the mixes he's done, which are generally really worth hearing?

Do you mean Tactics or Forensics telling us about grime tunes they've done?

I don't recall too much in the way of "Roll up to this Grime night" (and these threads have often been fascinating -- especially hearing about the US shows) or "download Grime ringtones!!" posts.

Be interested to hear just what stuff is bothering you, Matt :).

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
This topic is infinitely more useless than rossi B and Luca posting up their playlist, or someone upping their latest mix.

Especially considering there is a perfectly good discussion already underway regarding excess grime posts.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
I don't think any of the grime threds have been spam. And, as you know Matt, I'm in favour of fewer fora, not more subfora.

Woebot

Logan Sama said:
This topic is infinitely more useless than rossi B and Luca posting up their playlist, or someone upping their latest mix.

Especially considering there is a perfectly good discussion already underway regarding excess grime posts.

Lets just say you WOULD say that Logan ;)

micmack

My Little Pony
I've only beem using Dissensus for a short time, but I haven't seen anything I'd consider spam, be it Grime or other.

D

droid

Things are grand as is... compared to nearly every other forum I frequent Dissenus is virtually spam and conflict free... the only incident that Ive seen that was verging on spam was dealt with fairly swiftly.

Im with Melchoir - fewer fora not more...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Maybe Matt's in a bad mood cos he didn't want to come back from holiday...

The poll says 21 people like Grime Spam!

"LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE! FOUR ROOMS OF HOUSE AND GARAGE PLUS AN MC FREE ZONE PLAYING OLD SKOOL AND R&B...."

Woebot

2stepfan said:
Maybe Matt's in a bad mood cos he didn't want to come back from holiday...

The poll says 21 people like Grime Spam!

"LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE! FOUR ROOMS OF HOUSE AND GARAGE PLUS AN MC FREE ZONE PLAYING OLD SKOOL AND R&B...."

OK fine. But I have asked a couple of people if they wouldnt mind posting mixes in Miscellaneous. Miscellaneous is, as far as I'm concerned a good forum anyway.

I'll tell you, what I dont like about it is the feeling that these posts are being made on about 15 different fora. Just precisely the same thing cut and pasted in the name of promotion. That remark I made on Luca's thread for instance 2stepfan, I wanted to know what that track was, and did Luca reply (well its not like its obligatory or anything!!!) but no. And I reckon thats because he'll mainly drop by to post a mix off. I havent seen him engaging on other threads (NOT THAT I'VE LOOKED INTO IT MUCH i would add)

Anyway. Lets leave it like that. Logan and Luca as far as I'm concerned can keep on posting in music because its relatively rare that they post mixes (and Logan is a great contributor all round), but this is supposed to be Discussion Forum.

DJL

i'm joking
I think there is a problem with forums and promotion so putting all that kind of stuff in Misc is a good idea and it still means your stuff is going to be on Dissensus. Hopefully will encourage people to explore the other forums as well. Maybe a sticky thread in the music section could direct people there if they are after mixes, information on nights etc?

Last edited:

gabriel

The Heatwave
how about just having one sticky where people post mixes? then they'll all be in one place innit and easy to find..

D

droid

xiquet said:
how about just having one sticky where people post mixes? then they'll all be in one place innit and easy to find..

The problem with stickies, is that its not immediately obvious if anything new has been posted, so regular users tend to ignore them. Plus, youll end up with a 50 page stickie on a forum that averages about 2 pages per thread...

Woebot said:
I'll tell you, what I dont like about it is the feeling that these posts are being made on about 15 different fora. Just precisely the same thing cut and pasted in the name of promotion. That remark I made on Luca's thread for instance 2stepfan, I wanted to know what that track was, and did Luca reply (well its not like its obligatory or anything!!!) but no.

But there isnt really a deluge of mixes or anything... and Im quite appreciative of the fact that Rossi B and Luca (and others) 'drop by' with their mixes now and again, as its the only way ill get to hear them. Mixes are music, and, as was mentioned in the 'before you post another' thread, they perform a dual function of being both self-promotional and altruistic - plus they can also stimulate discussion - putting them in misc seems a bit of an OTT solution to something that isnt really much of a problem at the moment.

And I reckon thats because he'll mainly drop by to post a mix off. I havent seen him engaging on other threads (NOT THAT I'VE LOOKED INTO IT MUCH i would add)

But what about the likes of 2stepfan/John Eden/Stelfox/Minikomi etc who engage and post mixes? Ive got about 150 posts and Ive put (I think) 2 mixes up here (both of which were posted on only 2 other fora)... is there a ratio I should know about before I post anymore? 50 posts per mix or something? ;)

Your doing a good job here. Theres no real need to tinker. The best way to wipe 'unwanted threads off the forum is to post more of the kind of threads you want to read... :cool:

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
The reason i came here in the first place was to try & persuade that bassnation bloke to repost those dj godfather mixes... but i stayed for the interesting discourses, and cute waitresses. I like this board, and i think it's rolling along nicely...

recent threads i've dug:

the ambient/drones/modern classical thread
droids dancehall mix & subsequent fallout
getting in stelfox's hair for not posting that damn mix
cover versions
logans recent giveaways
and of course, tripwire.

bassnation

the abyss
minikomi said:
The reason i came here in the first place was to try & persuade that bassnation bloke to repost those dj godfather mixes... but i stayed for the interesting discourses, and cute waitresses. I like this board, and i think it's rolling along nicely... .

arrgghh, sorry, i was supposed to reupload them and then i forgot. i will do it tonight, if i manage to get of work before 9pm!

finding it frustrating not being able to keep up with dissensus to be honest :(