so it's antony and the jonsons then

mms

sometimes
big croaking guy, his piano and his tender fragile songs makes good at the merkery prize.
according to the editor the nme aren't sure about a cover as they don't think their readers will be into it cos he's so weird.. wot no geetars ..

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
I must admit, I was quite impressed.... loved the fact that that twelve-year old little fellow that the NME allow to edit it now said that Anthony and the Jonsons were both more weird AND more Radio 2 than anything that would get in that rag... further evidence that the NME worldview is trad meat and potatoes pub (or student union) rock-orientated, as if we didn't know...

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Antonio and the Johnsons is just a more politically-correct version of Boy George/Marilyn, or Jeff Buckley with a Rainbow-flag.

mms

sometimes
Buick6 said:
Antonio and the Johnsons is just a more politically-correct version of Boy George/Marilyn, or Jeff Buckley with a Rainbow-flag.

do you mean he's gay and a feminine dresser or do you mean he's gay and is of the same calibre as jeff buckley ?
how is ohe politically correct?

AshRa

Buick6 said:
Antonio and the Johnsons is just a more politically-correct version of Boy George/Marilyn,

Is that because he's the first gay singer since the two-headed queer-hydra, 'Boy George/Marilyn' or something?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i wanted the magic numbers to win because they seem like nice, jolly, overweight people and like they'd spend £20,000 wisely, on gourmet dining for instance. i actually put money on mia to win and lost for the 1st time in 6 years. of course, it's a shitty record, but i thought it might win 1) as a result of the general hegemonic pressure to think she's any good 2) to boost her APPALLING record sales (3,000 albums to date in the uk, folks?). the antony record is quite revolting.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I said years ago that Coldplay is tosh, and I put Antony in the same category.

He might be weird, he might be a trannie, he might be able to sing the vibrato(r) - but the music ain't no good. I hate that "feelie" operatic stuff ... (I have the same thing with Janis Joplin - just because someone can scream their lungs out doesn't make them good. Overrated rubbish).

I saw a documentary on the late great jazz singer Monica Zetterlund recently. She explained how she restricted herself (not using vibrato and other "tricks") and made everything simple (and mostly in one take) when doing her "Waltz for Debby" [recommended] album with Bill Evans in the early 60s.

A lot of these young torch singers could learn from Zetterlund's approach.

Giving a price to someone just because they are a bit different is not right is it?
Antony IS the PC choice.

Last edited:

gumdrops

perhaps she escaped to her mud hut, which she couldnt stop blathering on about in the interview segment.

gumdrops

why should i? i thought she was pushing her 'shanty-house cred' a bit too forcefully in that interview.

i liked her speech when she said britain is a good place to live if someone like her can still get nominated, especially in light of whats happening these days. that was good.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Rambler said:
MIA walked out in disgust apparently. (cue Dissensus cheers ;) )

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/article310873.ece

MIA didn't win coz she's not 4REAL. she's been outed as a middle class kid of colour not some recent refugee scarred from a war. But also her music is pretty ordinary after the initial 'Bliss Rush': it's just a Pommy version of Missy Elliot with a faux 'politique' edge, along the same lines of the Sex Pistols etc..etc..

Rambler said:
do you mean he's gay and a feminine dresser or do you mean he's gay and is of the same calibre as jeff buckley ?
how is ohe politically correct?

Yes. Which isn't saying much about either, but I think ANTONY is turning into like ALISON MOYET in some bizarre post-Michael-Jackson pop-trasmutation. ANTONY's voice is a one trick pony, it's original and compelling, but it's a good trick. I'm already laying bets for a Jimmy Sommerville duet, but in a perfect world it would be Willie Nelson...

ANTONY is G.A.Y and 4REAL. Any proudly OUT GAY man is pretty much 4REAL and gets the red carpet treatment critically (and to an extent commercially) in todays' cultural climate no matter the quality of work. I mean Elton John is treated as frucking deity these days more because of his gay politique rather the the fact he hasn't made a "reasonable" album since 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'.

Since all post-modern 'art' is ultimately 'representational' it's a become a new 'artistic' dogma, and hence the reason why art now is so shit and instantaneous.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Buick6 said:
I mean Elton John is treated as frucking deity these days more because of his gay politique rather the the fact he hasn't made a "reasonable" album since 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'.

well he's brilliant value for money and a real nutter which is why he's well loved as much as for his music.

i think antony and the jonsons are judged on their musical merits really.
it's quite an original sound in comparison to the rockers but less original compared to the day glo mashup kids (go team and m.i.a)

blissblogger

Rambler said:
MIA walked out in disgust apparently. (cue Dissensus cheers ;) )

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/article310873.ece

well i thought i couldn't be anymore chuffed about Anthony (even though i find his vocal mannerisms a tad grating) winning it instead of a certain young lady, but that story of her stomping out in a fit of pique is the icing on the cake!

and then to hear the record's only shifted 3 thousand! i guess if your fanbase is mostly bloggerati then they'll all have been downloading it gratis

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Buick6 said:
treatment critically (and to an extent commercially) in todays' cultural climate no matter the quality of work. I mean Elton John is treated as frucking deity these days more because of his gay politique rather the the fact he hasn't made a "reasonable" album since 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'.

goodbye yellow brick road isn't resonable. it's an absolutely terrific record. also, elton is far from deified in the uk. the reason it's canonical is because it's bloody good. he looks like a big, flamboyant alan bennet, has the piss taken out of him mercilessly by the media and still manages to be pretty well loved. i think this is down to him being a resonable bloke with a fair grip on reality and an ability to laugh at himself a bit, not because he's queer and people think they have to like him.

re mia: she's sold more in the states - about 57,000, i think.

Last edited:

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
gumdrops said:
perhaps she escaped to her mud hut, which she couldnt stop blathering on about in the interview segment.

just watching the repeat, see what you mean... intolerable sanctimonious posh brat.... (born in Hounslow)....

(I like the record, but I think of it as like an update of the Belle Stars or something... not at all street....)