Vince Guaraldi

Woebot

Repeatedly watching episodes of Snoopy with Lulu and Sam. Guaraldi's music just lovely. Somehow comforting but never cloying, always undercut with humour.

http://www.vinceguaraldi.com/biography.htm

Always struck how the best bits of Don Cherry's music (like Mu Part 2 fr'instance) seem to owe a debt to Guaraldi.

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
Repeatedly watching episodes of Snoopy with Lulu and Sam. Guaraldi's music just lovely. Somehow comforting but never cloying, always undercut with humour.

http://www.vinceguaraldi.com/biography.htm

Always struck how the best bits of Don Cherry's music (like Mu Part 2 fr'instance) seem to owe a debt to Guaraldi.

spot on - just wonderful even in isolation .

blissblogger

there's this one bit of really lyrical Peanuts backing music that i'm really aching to find, it's mostly just guitar i think, as a kid i found it unbearably poignant -- but never found it on any of the records

Woebot

blissblogger said:
there's this one bit of really lyrical Peanuts backing music that i'm really aching to find, it's mostly just guitar i think, as a kid i found it unbearably poignant -- but never found it on any of the records

can you remember the episode?

i just last week oredered a copy of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SNOOPYS-STORY-5...6429920871QQcategoryZ2292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And maybe its in there somewhere.

And I reckon I'm gonna have to get some of the Guaraldi CDs, theres lots of the music he did for Snoopy available.

"poignant" nails it.

AshRa

The US import vinyl of Charlie Brown Xmas album is usually dirt cheap - sometimes comes with funny 70s stickers on the cover too!

mms

sometimes
AshRa said:
The US import vinyl of Charlie Brown Xmas album is usually dirt cheap - sometimes comes with funny 70s stickers on the cover too!

the one i like is good grief charlie brown

Dubquixote

Submariner
that sad christmas song with the children's choir that vince wrote for the peanuts was brilliantly resurrected for the royal tenenbaums soundtrack.

blissblogger

WOEBOT said:
can you remember the episode?

i .

it's one of those 'mood-sequence' type bits of music they used repeatedly on different episodes, usually at least once an episode -- but i'm not thinking of that famous incidental theme,t he one which is piano-led and sort of comping in feel .... the one i'm struggling to remember, it's something they would use in sort of inbetweeny bits, Linus going for a walk, a character on his way somewhere, ... when there's no dialogue -- golden jazz guitar , kind of summery in feel, halycon with a tinge of wistful to it -- also kind of feel of temporal suspension -- a moment in time-- this doesn't really help to narrow things down though!

Woebot

blissblogger said:
it's one of those 'mood-sequence' type bits of music they used repeatedly on different episodes, usually at least once an episode -- but i'm not thinking of that famous incidental theme,t he one which is piano-led and sort of comping in feel .... the one i'm struggling to remember, it's something they would use in sort of inbetweeny bits, Linus going for a walk, a character on his way somewhere, ... when there's no dialogue -- golden jazz guitar , kind of summery in feel, halycon with a tinge of wistful to it -- also kind of feel of temporal suspension -- a moment in time-- this doesn't really help to narrow things down though!

Hmm. I think I know which one you mean.

Been watching the DVDS pretty much continously, though we've started to noticed we're ever so slightly more gripped than the kids. Back to The Wiggles! (sighs)