Put Your Ass In It?

Woebot

This is a great, again "Urban" track (probably massive) I heard on Kiss 100 (sometimes it bleaches out Rinse ha ha!).

What is it?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
No, no, no!

Absolutely the worst sort of tired, exploitative nonsense that's made "urban" a bit of a dirty word...

hint

party record with a siren
You can do it,
Put your ass into it

???

Ice Cube - You Can Do It

It was number one in the hit parade a few months ago.

gumdrops

this song first came out in the late 90s.

its weird hearing ice cube do party tracks. but then he hasnt been the rapper he was for about a decade.

Last edited:

gumdrops

ice cube has a new album with seven tracks produced by lil jon. hes a farce now though, his performance on lil jon's real nigga roll call made me wince.

Tim F

Why do tracks like this come out so weirdly late in the UK? This track and "Be Faithful" were absolutely huge in Australia - IN NINETEEN NINETY NINE!

hint

party record with a siren
Tim F said:
Why do tracks like this come out so weirdly late in the UK? This track and "Be Faithful" were absolutely huge in Australia - IN NINETEEN NINETY NINE!

The Ice Cube track got big thanks to its inclusion in a film, I think. So it got re-released.

"Be Faithful" was originally a bootleg that bubbled away on the semi-underground before someone realised that they could pay to clear the samples, give it a big push, and sell shedloads (thereby covering the costs of licensing).

blissblogger

jam rock

was listening to Hot 97 and ambushed, amid slick r'n-beee and 50 cent, by pressure drop roots reggae. ah this must be the 'jamrock' of which i've read. what do we think then people? it may be a roots-reproductioin-antique but it sounded pretty might to me and all the more enjoyable for its utter incongruity in the mersh-hip hop context.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it's a great track, totally in tune with what's going on in ragga/reggae at the moment (massive reassertion of roots riddims) and there's killer crunk mix of it with lil jon bellowing like a nutcase all over it, too.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
blissblogger said:
ah this must be the 'jamrock' of which i've read
I love it to bits. Second best record of the year - in any genre - after Notorious. There's an ace boot with Biggie, there are a heap of pretty good hiphop versions (I like Busta's one), there's a fabulous grime re-rub (by Dissensians, would you believe)... though I'm told the jungle mix isn't as good as we hoped.

Eden has the 12 of the original Ini Kamoze tune, but we haven't put it in a mix yet...

Are there a lot of one drop tunes about at the moment?

C

captain easychord

the one drop riddims are definitely re-asserting themselves this year. the popularity of jam rock aka world jam, cry baby, seasons etc. is notable, the more uptempo stuff hasn't really bee moving the same way.

that grime booty of jamrock is serious!

Woebot

ice cube! ha! how deliciously untrendy! very lil jon influenced i thought.

vis tims comments about it coming out ages ago, its quite possible.