Truckstop Gondelero

Woebot

33736663.jpg

Came across the "Ruckzack" Bootleg of Kraftwerks.

Turns out it's essentially a Neu! record.

Here's Julian Cope on it:

"Neu! was born in a royal shitstorm, live on German TV, on a bizarre night in August 1971. And in true keeping with their convoluted history soon to come, that incredible performance on Beatclub, including the delicate and chillingly beautiful snatches of their forthcoming classics "Im Gluck" and "Weissensee", was not even played under the nbanner of Neu!, but of Kraftwerk. That truly incredible Klang they called "Truckstop Gondolero" was played by a Neu! phoenix rising out of a Kraftwerk funeral pyre."

He goes on:

"Temporarily reduced to a duo, Ralf Hutter and Florian Schneider asked Michael Rother (pronounced 'rota') to play guitar and Klaus Dinger to drum for them. Rother and Dinger were good friends and extremeley confident musicians, and they very quickly carved a path out within Kraftwerk tat was at once Impressionist and Meditational at the smae moment, expressionist and Ur-punk the next - taking the sound in a direction that neither Ralf or Florian had intended. But their live TV appearance was already booked, and a frantic Ralf Hutter freaked out and left the group. "Kraftwerk without Ralf" played Beatclub amidst huge orange German traffic cones, though it would be more correct to call the group "Neu! with Florian".

Except Florian is almost completely drowned out. This is a great great bootleg. "Truckstop Gondelero" is fabulous, but the 22 minute-long version of "Ruckzack" Rother with those crisp violently harsh licks and Dinger in fine fettle is astonishing. Even if the truly appalling quality of the recording slightly marrs the memento.

owen

I have this, thanks to sister ray in berwick st's flagrant ordering in of kraftwerk bootlegs...

Ruckstoss Gondolero is very cool (would love to see the tv footage) but the rest is a little stodgy and sludgy, no? actually much less fleet of foot and neu! metronomic than the first track on kraftwerk 1 (which is surely THE ur-motorik track) its ok, but the sound quality makes my fall bootlegs sound good...

i read once that you have to pitch up the LP bootleg of this...which would make it sound less like blue cheer anyway ;)

MiltonParker

WOEBOT said:
33736663.jpg

Even if the truly appalling quality of the recording slightly marrs the memento.

the original master of this has emerged and is making the rounds as a CDR boot called 'kraftwerk - K4'

earlier bootlegs sound like and undoubtedly were recorded by fans off the radio, the songs have fades & the tape speed is slow. I think someone finally made a run on the Radio Bremen shelves for this though -- 25th anniversary special.

running with the 'Iron Man' reference in the opening moments, the bootleg's cover is a reference to Black Sabbath 4

'heavy metal kids' - 7:53
'K1' - 15:39
'K2 (ruckzuck)' - 19:20
'K3' - 15:20
'K4' - 11:30

69:44

bruno

est malade
there is mention elwewhere of this being from a performance "in front of a small but enthusiastic audience.. broadcast on Bremen Radio in 1971". but on emule there is a video called 'truckstop gondolero', recorded live at beat club, may 1971. which one is it?

oh, and i want this bootleg!

MiltonParker

the "Ruckzuck" vinyl bootleg Woebot mentions starts with the entirety of the Beat Club TV performance, a ~15 minute piece originally called "Rückstoss-Gondoliere", a title which was telephoned into "Truckstop Gondelero" by english speaking bootleggers. Then it moves to three songs (45 minutes at slow tape speed) of the Köln concert, which was taped and rebroadcast later by Radio Bremen. This lo-fi version of the tape has been on tape trading circles for years, I first heard it in the early 90's.

"Kraftwerk - K4" doesn't include "Rückstoss-Gondoliere" -- no room for it -- it does have all 70 minutes of the Köln gig, in crystal clear, german engineered high fidelity, you are there.

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
that makes sense, thank you milton.

ktruck2.jpg

how florian must hate this image

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
the original master of this has emerged and is making the rounds as a CDR boot called 'kraftwerk - K4'

earlier bootlegs sound like and undoubtedly were recorded by fans off the radio, the songs have fades & the tape speed is slow. I think someone finally made a run on the Radio Bremen shelves for this though -- 25th anniversary special.

running with the 'Iron Man' reference in the opening moments, the bootleg's cover is a reference to Black Sabbath 4

'heavy metal kids' - 7:53
'K1' - 15:39
'K2 (ruckzuck)' - 19:20
'K3' - 15:20
'K4' - 11:30

69:44

Woah!

Can't remember where I picked up this link, but anyway, for your downloading pleasure:

http://www.bigozine2.com/archive/ARrarities06/ARkwbremen.html

How good? :D