sabres of paradise wilmott

mms

sometimes
this songs melody and some of the horns are a reworking of an old trinidad folk song - i used to knw what it was and had a copy of it - does anyone have this and know what it is - if they have mp3 i will be truly greatful .

jed_

i have it, it's a calypso song by Wimoth Houdini and it's called "uncle jo, gimme mo!". saying that it's "an old trinidad folk song " kinda gives the impression that it's a traditional song, which isn't really the case ( and maybe you didn't mean that anyway). it's wonderful! give me half an hour or so and i will upload it to yousendit.

mms

sometimes
wow

jed_ said:
i have it, it's a calypso song by Wimoth Houdini and it's called "uncle jo, gimme mo!". saying that it's "an old trinidad folk song " kinda gives the impression that it's a traditional song, which isn't really the case ( and maybe you didn't mean that anyway). it's wonderful! give me half an hour or so and i will upload it to yousendit.

wow nice one .
yeah i didn't think it was a trad but thats very very cool of you.
i had this once but somehow it's gone somewhere else now.

nonseq

you're big jed_
videotaped wilmot from mtv party zone at the time
the melody still pops up in my head once in a while, its one of those magic melodies to me
great to hear the original!

lovin the melody as well... (big up jed_ for the info)

there are two other re-interpretations i know of: one by norman cook under his pizzaman moniker (you surely know this one - "magic carpet ride (son of wilmot mix)" - kinda dub meets acid meets spaghetti western style), the other one is shantel's "bucovina". the weird thing about the shantel version is that a romanian village band played the melody for the recording, giving the impression it is a traditional romanian/gypsy tune...