John Eden and Paul Meme on Radio Lancashire

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
We're finally breaking cover on this after keeping it quiet for a loooooong time....

Myself and John Eden have been asked to provide a mix for the renowned On The Wire radio show on BBC Radio Lancashire. I'm announcing this now because our mix is due to be broadcast this coming Saturday, 17th September. It's possible the broadcast won't happen on the date we've been told and if it changes I will keep you posted.

On The Wire has been going for over 20 years, offering an eclectic mix of reggae, electronics, world and experimental music and it's fair to say it's gained an excellent, world-wide reputation for quality. It's run by Steve Barker, who writes the Dub column in The Wire and used to be in On-U Sound. We're proud to have had the opportunity to work with On the Wire.

Our selection goes from mellow, rootsy eighties dancehall, through tough DJ tunes and JA bouncers into rough ragga, breakcore and noise.

On the Wire is broadcast on Saturdays at 10pm on BBC Radio Lancashire 103.9, 95.5 and 104.5 FM. A download of the show should be available from the On the Wire website. I hope to host a high quality mp3 of the show on my site once it's gone out.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it's great news and i don't see why yr in a state of disbelief, yr mixes are easily good enought to be heard by a much wider audience.

john eden

male pale and stale
stelfox said:
it's great news and i don't see why yr in a state of disbelief, yr mixes are easily good enought to be heard by a much wider audience.

Well of course you are right but how often does that happen to people we know? :D

Did the Resonance thing go ok? I was in Cardiff. :(

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
john eden said:
I have to keep pinching myself when I remember this is actually happening. :)

more the poverty of UK radio, frankly , it's only in the last few years that people are finally getting access to the airwaves (community radio bill) and then what happens, the internet takes over :confused:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
scottdisco said:
can i cross post this information to a livejournal community i'm a member of, i know some ppl there would welcome getting into new sounds (lot of indie fans but some curious fans)?
Thanks Scott, yeah let people know!

labrat

hot on the heels of love
On The Wire is an absolute institution round these parts.
Sneaky tip for the Lancashire massive- enter their compititions you'll win no-one seems to enter them.
I once won a shitload of danchall comps just for being arsed to call.
Ditto my buddy won a Ceramic Hobs flexi.
(this is back in the day when it used to be on Sunday lunchtime-Ceramic Hobs with your roast dinner !!)

john eden

male pale and stale
stelfox said:
did this go to air on saturday? did john or paul record it? can they host it?

Yeah it went out! :)

There was some weirdness with the streaming though which meant it was all silence until 10:30 and then straight into the mix with no preamble.

It looks like there is already an mp3 linked from the OTW site but it seems to keep timing out right now. We will sort out our own hosting of it as soon as we can manage it, oh yes. :cool:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
john eden said:
YWe will sort out our own hosting of it as soon as we can manage it, oh yes. :cool:
On the wire, 17th September 2005: 21st Birthday Edition mix by John Eden and Paul Meme.

The file is up at http://www.grievousangel.net/OnTheWire.zip .

It's a 192k mp3 of the master tape which weighs 82.5mb. I can put up mp3s of what the DJ said later if anyone is bothered.

You can't stream this file, you can only download it. It's not a ZIP file so don't try to unzip it -- just change the ".zip" extension to ".mp3" and you'll be able to play it. (Ummm, I haven't had time to test this, so it if doesn't work, let me know!).

More comments and notes on the music when I have time... for now I just want to say that LFO Demon's Rave for Communism is one of the four or five most important recordings of the last 50 years.

1. Delroy Wilson. Keep on Trying. Music Lab
2. Carlton Livingstone. You Make Your Mistake. Black Joy
3. Lone Ranger. Collie Dub. Black Joy
4. Yellowman. Soldier Take Over. Sonic Sounds
5. Welton Irie. Army Life. Pressure Sounds
6. King Kong. Don't Touch My Boops. Unity Sounds
7. Admiral Bailey and Chaka Demus. One Scotch. Unity Sounds
8. Shabban Rankin. Roots and Cultue. 1989. Digital B
9. Pinchers. Bandolero. 1991. Jammy$ Records
10. Frankie Paul. Tu Shung Peng. Greensleeves
11. Frisco Kid. It's OK. Jammy$ Records
12. Trevor Sparks. Bye Bye Love. Jammy$ Records
13. Admiral Bailey. No Wey Better Than Yard. 1988. Live & Love
14. Pinchers. Agony. Live & Love
15. Admiral Bailey. Big Belly Man. 1987. Live & Love
16. Shabba Ranks. Trailer Load of Girls. Shang
17. Cobra. Yush. 1991. Penthouse
18. Cutty Ranks. Dominate. Penthouse
19. Killamanmachine. Amen. Clash
20. Bong Ra. 666MPH (FFF vs Dionysos Remix). Supertracks Records
21. LFO Demon. Utterly Wipeout (Rave for Communism). 2003. Sprengstoff
22. Prince Jammy. Jammin for Survival (Grievous Angel's Jammin' on Distortion Mix). 1979 / 2005. Attack / Morwell Esq?
23. Initial T. Tricks and Trade. 2005. Tree House Cannabis Music
24. Turbulence. Notorious. 2005. Tree House Cannabis Music

Enjoy...

Last edited:

orson

2stepfan said:
On the wire, 17th September 2005: 21st Birthday Edition mix by John Eden and Paul Meme.

The file is up at http://www.grievousangel.net/OnTheWire.zip .

It's a 192k mp3 of the master tape which weighs 82.5mb. I can put up mp3s of what the DJ said later if anyone is bothered.

You can't stream this file, you can only download it. It's not a ZIP file so don't try to unzip it -- just change the ".zip" extension to ".mp3" and you'll be able to play it. (Ummm, I haven't had time to test this, so it if doesn't work, let me know!).

More comments and notes on the music when I have time... for now I just want to say that LFO Demon's Rave for Communism is one of the four or five most important recordings of the last 50 years.

1. Delroy Wilson. Keep on Trying. Music Lab
2. Carlton Livingstone. You Make Your Mistake. Black Joy
3. Lone Ranger. Collie Dub. Black Joy
4. Yellowman. Soldier Take Over. Sonic Sounds
5. Welton Irie. Army Life. Pressure Sounds
6. King Kong. Don't Touch My Boops. Unity Sounds
7. Admiral Bailey and Chaka Demus. One Scotch. Unity Sounds
8. Shabban Rankin. Roots and Cultue. 1989. Digital B
9. Pinchers. Bandolero. 1991. Jammy$ Records
10. Frankie Paul. Tu Shung Peng. Greensleeves
11. Frisco Kid. It's OK. Jammy$ Records
12. Trevor Sparks. Bye Bye Love. Jammy$ Records
13. Admiral Bailey. No Wey Better Than Yard. 1988. Live & Love
14. Pinchers. Agony. Live & Love
15. Admiral Bailey. Big Belly Man. 1987. Live & Love
16. Shabba Ranks. Trailer Load of Girls. Shang
17. Cobra. Yush. 1991. Penthouse
18. Cutty Ranks. Dominate. Penthouse
19. Killamanmachine. Amen. Clash
20. Bong Ra. 666MPH (FFF vs Dionysos Remix). Supertracks Records
21. LFO Demon. Utterly Wipeout (Rave for Communism). 2003. Sprengstoff
22. Prince Jammy. Jammin for Survival (Grievous Angel's Jammin' on Distortion Mix). 1979 / 2005. Attack / Morwell Esq?
23. Initial T. Tricks and Trade. 2005. Tree House Cannabis Music
24. Turbulence. Notorious. 2005. Tree House Cannabis Music

Enjoy...

nice will def chek the mix .. funny i just saw pinchers performing this sat :)

orson

xiquet said:
where was that? how was he?

duesseldorf germany :) .. he was cool changin his oufit every other tune .. he did champion bubbler , your eyes only, bandalero and lots more .. it was a fun night !!

gabriel

The Heatwave
orson said:
duesseldorf germany :) .. he was cool changin his oufit every other tune .. he did champion bubbler , your eyes only, bandalero and lots more .. it was a fun night !!

man, the germans get high calibre dancehall gigs all the time. i bet it cost like €5 as well... not fair! :mad: