Budapest

run_time

heading to Budapest for a long w/end wondering if anyone has been and would care to share any experiences, first hand or otherwise

thx

blunt

shot by both sides
Budapest is beautiful! Kind of like a cross between Berlin and Paris, but with an Islamic taste for the decorative - tho the locals won't thank you for pointing that out ;)

I went a couple of times late last year; it was great. For my money, it's almost uncannily like mid-90s Berlin, both architecturally and atmospherically. Lots of cheap accomodation in grand old tenement blocks, great warehouse parties and impromptu bars that are there one minute and gone the next. Really great restaurants too, all dead cheap.

Club: Kultiplex, Kiniszi utca 28

Bar: Szoda, VII. Wesselényi utca 18

Restaurant: Leroy Cafe Leroy Cafe, Szent István tér 7. (by the Basilica)

The Time Out guide is pretty good for all the sites. And if you're up early enough on the Sunday morning, the flea market in the central park is worth a look; all good fun.

Be aware that minicabs tend to charge tourists thru the nose and take the most outrageously circuitous routes - try and makes some Hungarian friends...

Rambler

Awanturnik
One of my favourite cities; been twice and will go again. If you get a chance, spend your last afternoon at one of the big bath houses; Gellert is the famous one, but I always go to the Szechenyi baths in the middle of the city park (Varosliget). This is the one with a giant outdoor hot spa where the Budapest old boys stay all day and play chess. Perfect preparation for travelling home.

gabriel

The Heatwave
i was in budapest in april, loved it, great city. there's some turkish baths in a big park that has an outdoor heated pool that is very very cool, definitely recommend that.

also went to a nice dancehall night at a place called trafo bar tango on liliom utca (utca = street i think). more info on http://www.dancehall.hu/ including lots of other dates for nights and concerts.

a trip up the danube is recommended too

EDIT - exactly, the szechenyi one is what i mean. i didn't like gellert, found it a bit decrepit and sleazy...

owen

Budapest is lovely, if a little hm well culturally nondescript (ducks)- certainly liked it more than my blog post on it would imply. I particularly recommend going into random bars off the grimier bit of Andrassy Ut, and avoiding the Victorian follies like the castle and so forth...

I'm very, very impressed you manages to find a dancehall night there, seeing as all I heard over there was either sub-MTV base or terrifying twee/militaristic turbofolk...my radar obviously isn't all that...

WHATVER you do, do not go be lured by the name into going into 'Beckett's'- there I was expecting walking into a place with Krapp's Last Tape on in the corner or summat, and it is not not not good

Last edited:

gabriel

The Heatwave
owen said:
I'm very, very impressed you manages to find a dancehall night there, seeing as all I heard over there was either sub-MTV base or terrifying twee/militaristic turbofolk...my radar obviously isn't all that...

the wonder of the internet innit - did a search before i went, hit up the guys who run the dancehall website/record shop and played at their weekly event as well :)

run_time

would have to add my recommendation for the city...does the whole 'faded grandeur' thing pretty well although i get the feeling that the city is changing fast. i definitely see the Berlin comparison although things are changing there at such a rate that i'm not sure how long these comparisons will hold. amazing architecture if your into older buildings.

things i would recommend are some of the courtyard bars (obviously more a summer thing) which made for an exciting change from London alternatives (one included an outdoor cinema) and the baths with my favourite being the Gellert Baths which were v elaborate and felt more like a Turkish bath and less like a swimming pool

jenks

thread death
without sounding melodaramatic but i was never happier than the two weeks i spent in budapest

it was 1990 though, but i sense that the inviolate budapesteness of the city is indestrucible, a rather wild speculation i know but i feel solid in my supposition.

really mustn't drink in the afternoon :eek:

Badmarsh

most beautiful women on this planet. mad up for it party crowd (ive djed there) some wicked underground vibes in hungary

john eden

male pale and stale
Any more recent thoughts or recommendations? Am headed there Tuesday en familie... (so not bovvered about clubs)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd love to be of service but I spent my whole time there drinking beer and being fleeced in a strip club. Its a beautiful city though, I'd love to go back there for longer (only went for a few days on the way to Exit festival). One thing we only discovered on the way home was these outside bars they have in the courtyards of some buildings. Apparently there's loads of them around and they stay open until very late.

The hill overlooking Budapest must be climbed too.

That's all, soz. :eek:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Any more recent thoughts or recommendations? Am headed there Tuesday en familie... (so not bovvered about clubs)

Yep, lived there for six months way back when. Testing the memory banks, but....

Check out the 8th quarter, I think it is, where there's Budapet's Chinese population, loads of atmosphere and the train station that went to Auschwitz for gravitas.

Heroes' Square is very beautiful, as is the park behind it.

Go to Buda. I lived there, and it's very calming compared to Pest. In winter just beautiful, but obv that's not strictly relevant.

The food can be stellar. If there's still a kebab shop called Three Kings (whatever that is in Hungarian), go, for I do recall it being the best kebab in the world.

Marxim's in Pest is a cute Communist-themed cafe with great pizza breads that we used to frequent. May be gone now, but that's progress...

All the World Heritage stuff (castle etc) is overrated to my mind. But the river view is mindblowing.

john eden

male pale and stale
Thanks folks. All good, if only to remind myself not to get fleeced in a stripclub :p

I think wandering around is the order of the day, but we'll see - it's pissing it down apparently.

Still looking forward though :cool:

sufi

lala
just popped up in the in box - interesting tho probably less useful...:D
ERRC_errcepressno1_65.jpg

ERRC SEEKS INTERNS

The European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) invites applications for its full-time internship programme. The ERRC offers interns a dynamic, fast-paced, international human rights environment, based in Budapest, Hungary. Romani and non-Romani interns are chosen for this programme through a competitive bi-annual selection process. In line with its Equal Opportunity Policy, ERRC offers a limited number of stipends for full-time internships to Romani individuals. The ERRC is currently accepting applications from persons wishing to intern at the ERRC for 3-6 months between September 2011 and February 2012.

Task description

All interns will receive professional guidance and be directly supervised by the Human Rights Trainer. Interns will also work together with the other ERRC programmes, including research and advocacy, legal, media and communications, as well as finance, operations and executive management. Activities and tasks of interns shall include both theoretical learning and practical skills development components, including but not limited to:
  • Researching Roma rights related topics;
  • Monitoring of stakeholders, policy-makers, think tanks, etc.;
  • Drafting reports on human rights abuse or legal documents;
  • Detailed monitoring of news and information on Roma rights;
  • Conducting legal research and assisting in preparing cases for strategic litigation in domestic courts and international tribunals;
  • Attending meetings and events related to the mission of ERRC and producing briefing documents;
  • Engaging in advocacy efforts and supporting human rights training courses;
  • Assisting in ERRC activities and projects, including logistically/administratively;
  • Updating and developing materials for the ERRC website;
  • Helping maintain ERRC information databases;
  • Editing and translating texts;
  • Other tasks to be determined together with the Human Rights Trainer and the project-related supervisor.
Applicant profile

Applicants should have:
  • Extensive experience living and working in Romani communities;
  • Good command of English, both written and spoken, is essential. Preference will be give to applicants who are able to work in the following languages: Romani, Romanian, Slovak, Czech, Serbian, Macedonian, Italian, French, Portuguese, Russian and Ukrainian;
  • At minimum, completed secondary education; university level studies preferred;
  • The ability to working a diverse, multicultural environment in a proper, timely fashion with supervision;
  • Good organisational and communication skills, commitment and enthusiasm;
  • Flexibility and the ability to work independently as well as in a team;
  • A proven track of activism in the Romani movement or human rights movement;
  • Knowledge of Microsoft Office; and
  • Be a minimum of 20 years of age.
The ERRC encourages applications representing all segments of society (women, LGBT, disabled people, etc).

Romani individuals are strongly encouraged to apply for an internship stipend. For stipend recipients, the programme includes an in-country follow-up component. The ERRC and selected interns will work together to implement jointly community-based human rights initiatives (small research, advocacy or other related projects) in a Romani community as follow up to the time spent at the ERRC office. This component is optional but applicants expressing interest in the follow-up will be given priority in the programme.

The ERRC can provide relevant letters of support for prospective interns seeking to secure outside funding for the internship. Students may be able to arrange academic credit for their internship and should check with their academic institutions for requirements.

All interns are responsible for their own travel, subsistence and insurance arrangements; the ERRC can provide advice as necessary.

How to Apply

Interested persons should submit all of the following materials to be considered for placement:
  • A fully completed application form, available at: View it (Word format)!
  • A brief, unedited writing sample, preferably human rights’ focused (maximum 2 A4 pages).
Only complete application packages will be considered; please submit both documents together. No telephone or email inquiries. Completed application packages should be submitted to Ms Dora Eke:

Subject heading: ERRC Intern Search
Email: dora.eke@errc.org
Fax: + 36.1.413.2201

The deadline for applications is 1 July at midnight CET time Applications received after this date will not be considered. Only short-listed applicants will be notified. If you have not been contacted within five weeks of the deadline, consider that your application was not successful in this round. A new call for internships will be issued in October 2011; please check our website regularly.

The ERRC is an equal opportunity organisation and does not discriminate on any ground. Romani candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.

30 May 2011
© ERRC 2011. All rights reserved

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just found this thread again, so a few restaurant tips, albeit a bit late for You's trip:

http://everythingbudapest.eu/Budapest_-_Restaurants/Budapest_Restaurant_Roundup.html

found this when I went last year. Some stunning places listed there - I ate as well as I've ever eaten on holiday.

Will try to remember which ones I ended up going to....

ah yes - one of them was Kanaan (Csanadi ut) and that was pretty sublime.

Not from that site:
Cafe Kor (Sas utca) was extremely good, little bit more expensive as I remember, but that's only in Budapest terms.
Kadar (Klauzal ter) - Jewish restaurant, again excellent.
I think it was Millennium da Pippo (on Andrassy ut) where they serve the most divine ricotta and pear cake in the entire world. The Italian food can be fantastic in Budapest.
And I had pizza in a random pub that was good as any I've had in my life (and that includes Sicilian pizza) - it's pretty mental how good the standard of food is, tbh.
And if you're in Buda, Marxims is still one of my favourite places to get breakfast/lunch, but that's also mixed in with nostalgia on my part maybe.

As to bars - for early evening drinks, some lovely little non-touristy bars with outside tables in the pedestrianised area in the VI district, around Hollan ut (I think it is), around the corner from the restaurant Kanaan i mentioned. Apart from that, the same website as above - http://everythingbudapest.eu/Budapest_-_Restaurants/Budapest_Bars_&_Ruin_Pubs.html - has tons of recommendations that I didn't have the chance to test out...

Last edited: