Marijuana smack

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Last night here on '60 minutes' we had quite a disturbing peice on the dangers of 'skunk' or hydroponically grown pot. Now '60 minutes' is a populist more centre-right type show, BUT previous to this we had our more leftist show '4 Corners' with a no less damning expose on the dangers of 'skunk'. The fear is with 'skunks' increased THC contents, it's addictive qualities, and it's profound effect on the onset of mental illness, which ironically would lead to a dependance on 'prescribed' medication. One psychologists came out and said that 'skunk' is more dangerous than (smoking) heroin!

NOW I've been smoking pot since about that age of 15, and I can admit that it HAS affected my mood, if not provoked a minor depression/melancholia I've had since. BY the same token it's inspired me endlessly, been a great leveller/bonder with people, and works as a great aphrodesiac in the right circumstances. It was my risk.

But I CAn see what these 'experts' are saying about the danger of 'skunk'. I have little doubt about it's addictive nature.

I find the high really intense, but it wears off quickly, and then you dip into yr bag for more, and there's stuff-all effect on the next spliff - all perfect indicators for addictive quality.

The half-lifes are longer. I tend to have bad fuzzy brain for at least 2-3 days and then narky mood shfts 3-5 days later.

No SEEDS. This i find a worry. Basically becuase I'm really sick of smoking this skunk as desire to 'grown my own' in soil, assisted by my worm-bin fertilizer. I find it interesting that the only way to get seeds is to buy them, and then again they're genetically modified and fucked with. I remember the days when peepz would complain about having too many seeds in their mix these days zippo.

I'm very conscious on my inner well-being, and despite the dangers, actually enjoy a good smoke in moderation. But I find today's pot to be far too 'functional' than the fractal nature of ye-olde school pot. I did some work with the local 'hiphop' scene, and while I was getting paid in pot, I found that people in the scene are pretty much well addicted, with one bloke equating his smokes to 'an after work tinny (or pint)'.

As a result I smoke less and less these days, but I do find it disturbing that what was once a 'soft' drug is turning into anything but that.

Last edited:

withnail

I find it's not to hard to buy bush or hydro here, bush being the gear that's grown in, well, the bush. It tends to be more mild and orders of degree less powerful than hydro. I do share your concerns about high THC pot and it's ability to effect pre-existing tendencies to mental illness, especially amongst younger people. I remember the 4 Corners show and it made the point that there is no evidence that pot causes mental illness, however, it appears it can be dangerous if you have pre-existing tendencies to mental illness, such as schizophrenia.

Last edited:

Jesse D Serrins

I definitely knew a dude once who went WAY out of his mind every time he smoked. Predisposition to be sure. And I've definitely had my moments of extreme paranoia. I do think people downplay the addictive qualities... I find when I get high it's basically just an exaggeration of what my mindset was going into it- so I should know when to smoke and when not to, but I don't usually obey that sense 'cause of the basic allure of the drug... but I do the same thing with coffee, for example, but of course coffee doesn't have the same effect on my emotions.

In Moll

Marijuana is an absolute nightmare for me, akin to what as a teenager i percieved a 'bad trip' to be (though I've never had any problems with LSD). I get really stoned, out of my head. I wouldn't say I become paranoid, as I'm not duct-taping the heating vents or anything, rather I'd call it something closer to a very vivid and terrifying objectivity.

Anyway, I think THC can be dangerous for certain folks. I have a cousin who suffered Schizophrenia, and while I'm otherwise a very balanced individual, marijuana is one substance I can't and won't fuck with. :confused:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Equating skunk with smack is ignorant scare mongering of the worst kind.

It implies a lack of pharmacological insight into the properties of the two substances which is staggering.

Last edited:

Buick6

too punk to drunk
2stepfan said:
Equating skunk with smack is ignorant scare mongering of the worst kind.

It implies a lack of pharmacological insight into the properties of the two substances which is staggering.

NO. She said the modern day skunk is worse for you than SMOKING heroin or opium, not shooting it up.

They are both plants that are smoked. Skunk has been modified and refined so much, it's more a more refined, dangerous drug.

Besides I always thought of bonging to be like shooting up heroin, and just as addictive. With the addictive qualities and faster wearing-off rate off current day skunk, the analogy is more telling.

bassnation

the abyss
Buick6 said:
NO. She said the modern day skunk is worse for you than SMOKING heroin or opium, not shooting it up.

They are both plants that are smoked. Skunk has been modified and refined so much, it's more a more refined, dangerous drug.

Besides I always thought of bonging to be like shooting up heroin, and just as addictive. With the addictive qualities and faster wearing-off rate off current day skunk, the analogy is more telling.

skunk has been refined through selective breeding, something we have been doing with animals and plants for at least a thousand years if not much much longer. its hardly genetic engineering as people understand it these days. and opium crops would have been through the same process with their growers maximising yield and quality etc.

the fact remains though, as much as cannabis is habit forming, opium and its derivatives are highly physically additive in the true sense. your body will literally hurt when you stop doing them. no-one can say that of dope, no matter how much of a smoker they are. as far as drugs go, smack is infinitely more dangerous whether you smoke or shoot it.

luka

You have to be such a weak willed piece of shit not to be able to give up skunk. i smoke for about 4 months then stop for about 4 months and i don't find it particularly hard. when i smoke i smoke every day, about 10 zoots a day, only skunk, usually something like jack, or ak47, much better than what you lot get and then i stop dead. easy. be a bit harder on yourself.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Buick6 said:

This is just nonsense. Skunk has not been GMed, just bred selectively, as mentioned above, like pretty much every crop consumed by man. Why does selecting a plants characteristics make it more dangerous? It's the nature of the actual drugs involved - i.e. THC vs dimorphine that determine how addictive or dangerous they are.

There is precisely zero scientific evidence that cannabis of any kind is addicitive. There was a bit of a stir a few years back when it was reported that spider monkeys had finally been hooked on cannabis in the laboratory. How did they manage this? First they trained the spider monkeys on IV cocaine, then took away their cocaine, offering them cannabis instead... :rolleyes:

The reason that there are no seeds in skunk is that they've been bred that way, because most smokers prefer it.

Last edited:

Jesse D Serrins

luka said:
You have to be such a weak willed piece of shit not to be able to give up skunk. i smoke for about 4 months then stop for about 4 months and i don't find it particularly hard. when i smoke i smoke every day, about 10 zoots a day, only skunk, usually something like jack, or ak47, much better than what you lot get and then i stop dead. easy. be a bit harder on yourself.

Ha! Actually, I think you're right, but I must admit my gears get a bit gummy, always takes me a few days to make the switch.