Votes: 30 65.2%
  • Cale

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Moby

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I'm just finding how similar their trajectories are. OK. Cale was a Velvet, Eno was the first to 'mainstreamise' the Velvet's sound. both are seminal producers or seminal albums. Both are incredibly influential muscians who never had a hit. Both played on each others albums.

Personally I pick Eno. He's funkier and trippier.

D84

Buick6 said:
I'm just finding how similar their trajectories are. OK. Cale was a Velvet, Eno was the first to 'mainstreamise' the Velvet's sound. both are seminal producers or seminal albums. Both are incredibly influential muscians who never had a hit. Both played on each others albums.

Personally I pick Eno. He's funkier and trippier.

Yeah ditto. And he hasn't really been repackaged as a rock n roll "icon" or "life-style" if that makes any sense.

Kuma

The Konspirator
Both.
Even with their tendencies towards producing classics for other people, I have never really thought of their trajectories as being close enoungh to each other to warrant sameyness. Now were this Lou and Eno...

Octopus?

Kuma said:
Both.
Even with their tendencies towards producing classics for other people, I have never really thought of their trajectories as being close enoungh to each other to warrant sameyness. Now were this Lou and Eno...

...then Eno would win, if only for not having inflicted The Raven on an unsuspecting public.

"These are the stories of Edgar Allan Poe,
Not exactly the boy next door"

labrat

hot on the heels of love
I chose Eno for
1. the "song " albums
2. on land
3. plataux of mirror
4. Roxy apearance on Whistle Test
5. the cover of No Pussyfooting

BUT
Don't ignrore the New York in the 60's CD'S. that Table of the Elements put out a while back.
PROPER Sunblindnessmusic.

labrat said:
Don't ignrore the New York in the 60's CD'S. that Table of the Elements put out a while back.
PROPER Sunblindnessmusic.

Word. I reckon Cale wins on these alone. Plus production work on Nico's 'Marble Index'. Eno loses points for fucking about with U2 for years when he should've been making himself useful.

Bloody close call though.

Isn't it strange that the album they made together 'Wrong Way Up' was so tepid.

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
just in sheer listening hours it's got to be Eno for me (current listening Ambient 3 by Laaraji with minor Eno input - loveliness!!) that said i haven't delved into Cale's stuff to any significant degree.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
LRJP! said:
current listening Ambient 3 by Laaraji with minor Eno input - loveliness.
if you like that then you should attempt to listen Ex-Cathedra (5.03) (recorded late 67 or early 68)
John Cale: Vox Continental Organ, it's on Dream Interpretation (one of the table of the elements CD's mentioned before)-it has a similar shimmering,hazy aspect but Mr Cale's piece is a lot ruffer.
(

D

droid

LRJP! said:
just in sheer listening hours it's got to be Eno for me (current listening Ambient 3 by Laaraji with minor Eno input - loveliness!!) that said i haven't delved into Cale's stuff to any significant degree.

Kinda with you on that. To add to the list of sublime and occasionally wacky Eno releases:

The Shutov Assembly (perfect 90's minimalism)
Music for White Cubes
On Land (again - cos its so bloody brilliant!)
Music For Prague
Memories of a medieval Manhattan
Smart - new composers
Discreet music
Cluster and Eno
Polysics
After The Heat
Possible Musics with John Hassell
Dream Theory In Malaya (generative music stylee)
The Pearl w/harold Budd
Headcandy
Spinner w/Jah Wobble

And the LP which wins it singlehandedly for me is, of course: My Life in the Bush of ghosts...

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
labrat said:
if you like that then you should attempt to listen Ex-Cathedra (5.03) (recorded late 67 or early 68)
John Cale: Vox Continental Organ, it's on Dream Interpretation (one of the table of the elements CD's mentioned before)-it has a similar shimmering,hazy aspect but Mr Cale's piece is a lot ruffer.
(

that sounds great! Cheers for the tip.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
the Obscure series Eno curated (yes curated) is all gravy in particular the David Toop/Max Easly contribution (and of course Sinking of the Titanic )

owen

eno

but its verrrry close- cale nearly got it for 'heartbreak hotel', the shimmering autistic snowscapes of 'the marble index'/'desertshore'/'the end', and for flagrantly romantic tendencies ('close watch' especially is heartbreakingly sentimental, and child's eye industrial travelogues like 'ship of fools'...arrrr)
and eno for remain in light, berlin bowie, writing wonderful lyrics (i somehow can't imagine her just planting rice all day) tho massive, massive points off for U2 and the Windows startup chime. so in the end its decided for me by aesthetics (suprise!)
enoducks.jpg

vs
xcalecool.jpg

no contest

In Moll

labrat said:
the Obscure series Eno curated (yes curated) is all gravy in particular the David Toop/Max Easly contribution (and of course Sinking of the Titanic )

I found four of those of those Obscure releases in a thrift store in a tiny town in Alabama, stuffed in the back of crates & crates of fundamentalist Christian records, for 25 cents a piece. Imagine my surprise. I wondered, who was the village outcast who owned these once upon a time?

blissblogger

Cale's got a new album coming out hasn't it, that' s influenced by modern R&B and rap production, the ultraminimalism and strange noises-- read an interview with him where he was raving about 'drop it like it's hot'!!!!!!!

c.f. vic godard -- all he listens to is modern rap and r&B and that's what his last album, or album before last (not sure) was all up in -- vic does R&B! when i interviewed him few years backit was at a dingy recording studio and i had to wait 40 minutes listening to him and the enginner trying to finesse the kick drum, get the 2step stutter kick just so!!!

Woebot

love cale, but he's trad at heart.

eno's stock riding quite high. loved the way he was the ghost in RIUASA, found that quite great to look up at him from street level as they did in the late seventies/early eighties. he became kind of over-exposed during the ambient techno era, yet failed to use it as a platform to release anything worthwhile.

i've seen him in the street a few times and (possibly i'm being delusional!) he always smiles and nods at me. oh and i met cale once too (gush gush)!

mms

sometimes
it's got to be eno -
he did the obscure label which was consistently excellent
alway found /developed interesting artists outside of pops mainstream (up to u2 anyway)
did conceptually better stuff than cale.
whoever said shutov assembley is on it
although marble index and the end are boss albums

jenks

thread death
tough choice - eno for pyjamarama alone against most people but bring cale into play and it's difficult to split them.

Cale - all that terry riley stuff - church of anthrax, his stuff with lamonte young ( which i've never heard but everyone reckons is the nuts), then , obviously the velvets, his work with nico (marble index yes, but is there much better than the end?)
paris 1919, that whole slew of great 70s albums - the high point for me being music ... which just contains soemof teh most intense music - his pronunciation of words like 'dirt' and rekejevik' (sp?!) startlingly dangerous then he slips into Chinese Envoy - (is this on cd? i've never located it onmy trawls through cd stacks?)
then there's the patti smith production for horses and that's just teh seventies - it goes on - what about that album with eno, nico and ayers?

Eno - roxy, the stuff with bryars, tiger mountain, green world, pussyfootin', harold budd, jon hassell, music for airports, the new yourk 77 production work, bowie/eno (including the under appreciated lodger), cluster, eno/byrne, REMAIN IN LIGHT, god it goes on and on.

i'd have to give it to eno on range (despite the whole U2 thing)

and i haven't even mentioned the greatness of eno's 'lectures' or his book - a year with swollen appendices

eno by a nose and a shiny pate

blissblogger

blissblogger said:
Cale's got a new album coming out hasn't it !

that's a typo not me doing a peculiar take-off of a welsh accent BTW

i forgot to say: Eno, by a fair distance, on the long haul, cos of Low etc, the postpunk productions, On Land, the stuff with Harold Budd, and yes, for his work with U2 (sorry kpunk), and just the massive influence in the late seventies and beyond. not forgetting the fripp stuff ('swastika girls'!) and a year with swollen appendices and his writing (his interview replies shame most music writing -- and i heard a rumour that he charges a fee to be interviewed, and quite right too -- time is money, and why should the journo get all the dough when he's providing most of the scintillation)

mind you, Marble Index and his own 'heartbreak hotel' and 'music for a new society' and the Velvets natch, make it a tougher choice than i'd imagine....

i prefer cale as a singer too

Last edited: