Wolfgang Dauner

Jim Daze

Does anyone have any stuff by this guy, (Matt,?), I bought an l.p on Brain called Rishikas Soul which kinda connects kraut with poppy/kosmiche jazz. After some cursory research on-line the albums 'Output' and 'The Oimels' seem to be the ones to get. :)

J

jimbackhouse

Definitely recommend them both although Output's probably more consistent. Output came out on ECM around 70' ish and it's very odd: 1 part atonal jazz skronk, 1 part dick hymen moon gas space groove and 1 part lets-mess-around-with-the-studio fx silliness. Really great stuff, if sometimes incomprehensible.

With The Oimels, you'll recognise the intro from 'My Man's Gone Now' from Nurse With Wound's 'Cooloorta Moon' since that loop is the basis of the whole track. Prefer the NWW tune though, cos Dauner's descends into cocktail-lounge jazz hell rapidly. The rest of the album treads a fine line between wide-eyed hippy idealism and cocktail jazz with strange elements which sneak in the side which seem to come from nowhere: the hyper-abrasive fuzz guitar and faust-like chanting echoplex vocals on 'come on in on in', for example, or the bliss-out sitar-psychedelica of 'take off your clothes to feel the setting sun'.

the cover art is phenomenal: warped crayon surrealism.

you will LOVE both albums, I'm sure!!

Jim Daze

Cheers jim, yeah I've got that NWW 12" it's a cracker. I'll have to keep a look out for those records, they're rare as hens though so it could take a while though :D

mms

sometimes
i've got "this is wolfgang dauner" also on brain 1974, nice album.
incidentally talkin loud put out a couple of comps of black forest jazz in the 90's which are both very good if u can track them down. his big tune "takes off your shoes to feel the setting sun" is on the second one

Woebot

Jim Daze said:
Does anyone have any stuff by this guy, (Matt,?)
not a clue who he is jim!!! but wow scary knowledge courtesy of jim b.

mms said:
black forest gateaux
yeah i always wondered whether there was any kraut crossover here inna (sharp intake of breath) kozmigroov stylee. one micro-fact i always cherished was that jaki liebezeit was a onetime member of alex von schlippenbach's globe unity jazz orchestra, and i always thought that must me some kind of indication of shared turf.

i suppose the distance to some of the more cosmic MPS offerings was probably small. also what was that "gluchlich" compilation like?

xero

was minusone
WOEBOT said:
also what was that "gluchlich" compilation like?

I have this ep compost records put out a few years ago called nitrogen with the unpromising subtitle 'trip hop sources from the past' - basically four tracks of 70s & 80s german strange jazz, I think the highlights are michael bundt's 'the brain of oskar panizza' & placebo's 'balek'

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
not a clue who he is jim!!! but wow scary knowledge courtesy of jim b.

yeah i always wondered whether there was any kraut crossover here inna (sharp intake of breath) kozmigroov stylee. one micro-fact i always cherished was that jaki liebezeit was a onetime member of alex von schlippenbach's globe unity jazz orchestra, and i always thought that must me some kind of indication of shared turf.

i suppose the distance to some of the more cosmic MPS offerings was probably small. also what was that "gluchlich" compilation like?

brain released the black forest jazz stuff like wolfie here as well as amon dull guru guru and soft machine so yes i think so.
and when did i say black forest gateaux, i didn't.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
black forest jazz. my mistake. black forest gateaux was the name of that neu! compilation.

yeah that was a spin.
you've made me think of how lovely black forest gateaux is tho and a trip to the shop beckons

redcrescent

WOEBOT said:
what was that "gluchlich" compilation like?
A Glücklich overview here. There's five of them, I think Vols. 1+2 are the best, with later Volumes veering too much toward downtempo for my liking.

Dauner also appears on Sugarcane Harris's Got the Blues (MPS) with Robert Wyatt and Volker Kriegel/Terje Rypdal. There's also the United Jazz + Rock Ensemble things.
Incidentially, his Girl from Martinique on MPS features Robin Kenyatta, the recently departed saxophonist.
From All About Jazz:
"After press time, we learned that the legendary jazz saxophonist ROBIN KENYATTA passed away at the age of 62 on Oct.26th in Lausanne, Switzerland while with family. He was scheduled to perform a sold-out concert in Lucerne, then return to New York (where he has permanently been residing since January of last year, after 20 years of expatriation, to play a highly anticipated concert event with vibist Warren Smith, drummer Victor Lewis, and bassist Curtis Lundy in the John Birks Gillespie Auditorium at the Baha'i Center). Such seminal recordings and associations as Roswell Rudd's 'Everywhere', Bill Dixon's 'Intents and Purposes', a pair of early '70s Alan Silva recordings, the Jazz Composer's Orchestra ('Communication'), recordings with Andrew Hill from 1967 for Blue Note, all graced his unique sound that carried with it obvious influences of Cannonball Adderley, Sonny Stitt and his teacher since he was 19: John Handy. Kenyatta's reputation has long been solidified as one of THE altoists to emerge from the '60s alongside Marion Brown, Jimmy Lyons, and Sonny Simmons, and his music along with his proud demeanor, immaculate dress, and wide contagious smile will forever live on in those that shared his genuine music and company."

RIP.

Woebot

WOEBOT said:
suppose the distance to some of the more cosmic MPS offerings was probably small.
redcrescent said:
Dauner also appears on Sugarcane Harris's Got the Blues (MPS) with Robert Wyatt and Volker Kriegel/Terje Rypdal.
thanks for the link redcrescent

heiku

yeah i always wondered whether there was any kraut crossover here inna (sharp intake of breath) kozmigroov stylee. one micro-fact i always cherished was that jaki liebezeit was a onetime member of alex von schlippenbach's globe unity jazz orchestra, and i always thought that must be some kind of indication of shared turf.
Another kraut crossover could be based around Embryo, who had both Mal Waldron and Jimmy Jackson (Amon Duul II) on their two Brain records, Steig Aus and Rocksession. Hey, Waldron even did a session for Japo with Jackson, Eberhard Weber, and Fred Braceful. The Weber/Braceful rhythm section also played on the first Et Cetera album (see below), as did Embryo's Siggi Schwab. And Braceful played in Exmagma, who went from freeform krautrock to Canterbury-like jazzrock in two albums... okay, I'll shut up.

Incidentially, his Girl from Martinique on MPS features Robin Kenyatta, the recently departed saxophonist.
I believe it was Kenyatta's Girl From Martinique on ECM that featured our man Dauner.

Also Rischka's Soul on Brain was reissued as This Is Wolfgang Dauner. They is one and the same album.

My Dauner picks are the three Et Cetera albums (S/T, Knirsch and Live) on MPS. There were some rumours of impending reissues but I've yet to see anything.

The first Et Cetera (aka Lady Blue on Brain, a label notorious for its repackaging moves) bears some traces of the dorky loungevity of the Oimels lp, but the two lengthier cuts are satisfyingly outside. The opener is particularly stonking, ripe with Dauner's overdriven keys, free dissonance and some primal rhythmic gyrations. Knirsch is acid fried jazzrock. Larry Coryell guests and contributes a much slower version of "Yin" than appeared on the muso-stricken Eleventh House debut. Bongs out, lads. Knirsch also has one of the most cracked MPS covers. Live is a double album that embraces eastern European folk themes, free electric jazz, addled blues and collective percussion. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem that far removed from Sun Ra's sides of the same era.

redcrescent

heiku said:
I believe it was Kenyatta's Girl From Martinique on ECM that featured our man Dauner.
You're right, of course. Thanks for spotting that. My third-generation taped copy has no musician credits, and I somewhat hastily attributed the recording to the wrong man. My apologies.

heiku

Matt, was I misguided to have repeatedly passed on a similarly cheap copy of this album years ago? Isn't it all acoustic piano solos?

Woebot

heiku said:
Matt, was I misguided to have repeatedly passed on a similarly cheap copy of this album years ago? Isn't it all acoustic piano solos?
yeah BUT theres loads of production on it and lots of little touches. think harold budd.

it may not be peak dauner (see jimbackhouse's comments) but its pretty sweet. a steal for 3 quid. obviously from someones collection who was into piano music, some rare MPS piano stuff to, one record with klaus weiss on it, but not enough drumming.

Woebot

Came across dauners "Rischkas Soul" on Brain this weekend, and something in the same bin he's done on mps. What a curious bloke!

iueke

other Dauner lps to check out:
Free Action
Requiem For Che Guevara
et cetera live

and i love this piece from the Calig lp 'für' with Eberhard Weber / Jurgen Karg / Fred Braceful