Geoffrey Jones

Jim Daze

Stunning but slight dvd of work by this guy out on BFI dvd. Editing and music incredible and light years ahead of it's time. Hard to imagine corporates like Shell commisioning such abstract work to promote their brand now. Daphne Oram contributes 'electronic editing and effects' to 'Snow' , Jone's masterpiece from 1963 which gained him an Oscar nomination. A must see for all lovers of Radiophonic Workshop, Basil Kirchin, Patrick Keiller etc. Seasons Project a bit washed out and can live without the last two pieces that were edited fairly recently. Otherwise genius !

Woebot

Jim Daze said:
Stunning but slight dvd of work by this guy out on BFI dvd. Editing and music incredible and light years ahead of it's time. Hard to imagine corporates like Shell commisioning such abstract work to promote their brand now. Daphne Oram contributes 'electronic editing and effects' to 'Snow' , Jone's masterpiece from 1963 which gained him an Oscar nomination. A must see for all lovers of Radiophonic Workshop, Basil Kirchin, Patrick Keiller etc. Seasons Project a bit washed out and can live without the last two pieces that were edited fairly recently. Otherwise genius !

sounds fascinating!

thats a great DVD. I'm thinking of checking out the other BFI DVDs of transport films, I think theres two volumes. I read an interview with mr Jones from just before he died this year He only ever made these corporate shorts, he couldn't face going into feature films because he thought it would involve compromising his art. Like you say, hard to imagine a time when a commisioned film for Shell gives you more freedom than making a feature film...
I think there was an era when the corporations in some way didn't know how to present themselves and left it to the designers and filmmakers. Just thinking of Paul Rands beautiful design for IBM, Charles and Ray Eames made some wonderful educational films sponsored by IBM. and it was intelligent stuff too - wouldn't happen now, the thing would be focus grouped into mush...