Lightning Bolt - Hypermagic Mountain

Has anyone heard it?

I guess it´s more metal oriented which is not a bad thing. The big surprise is the Dead Cowboy track: maybe the first harsh punk-rock tune that people can really dance to in the dancefloor...

dance, not slam-dance or pogo.

great track, great track

cheers

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Not heard it yet, but gagging too.

Two odd musical references which suggest themselves, very easily actually, with Lightning Bolt are jungle and Ornette Coleman. The former because of the general mashed up nature of the beats- it's the only rock music I've heard for a while which really seems to BROCK OUT; and Ornette Coleman because it's extremely melodic, albeit in an extremely chaotic, almost machine-gun like style.

Reminds me, anyone read that Wire interview with Coleman recently, where he tries to explain Harmelodics or whatever it's called? Did anyone find it enlightening? I couldn't get my head round it at all, although I didn't have time to reread it.

Yeah, I guess we can make a relation between some dance music and LB. Specially when we think about their live shows.
A recent video live footage showed people dancing without actually seeing the band playing. It seemed that the band visual presence wasn’t important at all. I guess LB makes music that’s aggressive and violent, but also benign and extremely joyful.
It impels movement without inducing aggression. And the mid section of Dead Cowboy captures exactly that.

mms

sometimes
brotherjames said:
Yeah, I guess we can make a relation between some dance music and LB. Specially when we think about their live shows.
A recent video live footage showed people dancing without actually seeing the band playing. It seemed that the band visual presence wasn’t important at all. I guess LB makes music that’s aggressive and violent, but also benign and extremely joyful.
It impels movement without inducing aggression. And the mid section of Dead Cowboy captures exactly that.

yeah i played them it to a die hard tattooed metaller and he thought i was mad , but a full on raver loved em - i think they have a strong element of industrial techno and joy about them . visual prescence being unimportant is one of the important things, like being at a rave where only the music really matters.

don_quixote

Trent End
since we're here, and the only thing i know is theyre on teh same label as lightning bolt, anyone know what noxagt are like?

C

captain easychord

lightning bolt are drum and bass, straight up.

funny actually, they played here in toronto last week and me and my friends described it as an "indie-rave", the crowd's usual sadsack countenence replaced by balls-out 'avin it, something you almost never see at indie shows.

BTW they are fucking incredible to watch, and i recommend that tour DVD if you haven't checked it out.

Here’s LB website: http://laserbeast.com/

I can’t find the live video footage though.

Noxagt are violin (as a riff machine), bass and drums. They made excellent instrumental noise-rock. Their last work has one or two tracks that could be made by stoner/metal My Blood Valentine clone.
Try also Sightings.

daren

don_quixote said:
since we're here, and the only thing i know is theyre on teh same label as lightning bolt, anyone know what noxagt are like?

Noxagt are a Viola, bass, and drum trio from Norway. I would say their influences are Nordic. Crush heavy music in not the heavy drone stoner way, but lighting fast punches. Their earlier material is fun to listen to although nothing like their current line-up.

daren

I never thought that rave would be a way to descibe LB's live experience, but that is very fitting. They are very positive and happy guys which also shows through their artwork and comic books.

Hypermagic Mountain is full on awesome.

daren said:
I never thought that rave would be a way to descibe LB's live experience, but that is very fitting. They are very positive and happy guys which also shows through their artwork and comic books.

Hypermagic Mountain is full on awesome.

I agree 100%. And I have no problems in considering them the best rock act in the last 4 years.

C

captain easychord

brotherjames said:
I have no problems in considering them the best rock act in the last 4 years.

I think they've gotta be the best band bar none. (By 'band' i guess i mean rock act.)

kingofcars

i saw lightning bolt + melt banana + pixeltan about 4-5 years ago...
hands down the best rock show i've ever seen...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
other fine load records bands:

men's recovery project- although the cd on load isn't their best (get the 7"s), they are one of the best h.c. of the past 10 years. fact.

vincebus eruptum- heavy and hilarious

khanate- ANOTHER doom/sludge/drone/sunn o))) band (pelican are better)

mms

sometimes
matt b said:

men's recovery project- although the cd on load isn't their best (get the 7"s), they are one of the best h.c. of the past 10 years. fact.

vincebus eruptum- heavy and hilarious

khanate- ANOTHER doom/sludge/drone/sunn o))) band (pelican are better)

khanate have a new one out on hydrahead and it's pretty soul stripping!
sort of like that stuff - it's really like heavy metal has alchemically turned into the brain and methods of industrial .

Woebot

Diggedy Derek said:
Reminds me, anyone read that Wire interview with Coleman recently, where he tries to explain Harmelodics or whatever it's called? Did anyone find it enlightening? I couldn't get my head round it at all, although I didn't have time to reread it.

apparently the only person who ever properly grasped harmolodics was james blood ulmer. once. and he wasnt exactly sure what he did right to grasp it.

i love ornette. him playing at the bar-be-can was one of the best shows i ever saw. but harmolodics as a concept is total bullshit.

deek, have you ever seen that mike mills film about "harmolodics". thats a pile of horseshit too. lots of "stars" like lou reed going on about the imnportance of coleman. not a single clear point made. possibly the worst documentary about music ever.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
matt b said:

Is that Sam McPheeters from Born against's band?