PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Bolt - Hypermagic Mountain

brotherjames
12-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Has anyone heard it?

I guess itīs more metal oriented which is not a bad thing. The big surprise is the Dead Cowboy track: maybe the first harsh punk-rock tune that people can really dance to in the dancefloor...

dance, not slam-dance or pogo.

great track, great track

cheers

Diggedy Derek
13-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Not heard it yet, but gagging too.

Two odd musical references which suggest themselves, very easily actually, with Lightning Bolt are jungle and Ornette Coleman. The former because of the general mashed up nature of the beats- it's the only rock music I've heard for a while which really seems to BROCK OUT; and Ornette Coleman because it's extremely melodic, albeit in an extremely chaotic, almost machine-gun like style.

Reminds me, anyone read that Wire interview with Coleman recently, where he tries to explain Harmelodics or whatever it's called? Did anyone find it enlightening? I couldn't get my head round it at all, although I didn't have time to reread it.

brotherjames
13-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I guess we can make a relation between some dance music and LB. Specially when we think about their live shows.
A recent video live footage showed people dancing without actually seeing the band playing. It seemed that the band visual presence wasnít important at all. I guess LB makes music thatís aggressive and violent, but also benign and extremely joyful.
It impels movement without inducing aggression. And the mid section of Dead Cowboy captures exactly that.

mms
13-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I guess we can make a relation between some dance music and LB. Specially when we think about their live shows.
A recent video live footage showed people dancing without actually seeing the band playing. It seemed that the band visual presence wasnít important at all. I guess LB makes music thatís aggressive and violent, but also benign and extremely joyful.
It impels movement without inducing aggression. And the mid section of Dead Cowboy captures exactly that.

yeah i played them it to a die hard tattooed metaller and he thought i was mad , but a full on raver loved em - i think they have a strong element of industrial techno and joy about them . visual prescence being unimportant is one of the important things, like being at a rave where only the music really matters.

don_quixote
13-09-2005, 09:57 PM
since we're here, and the only thing i know is theyre on teh same label as lightning bolt, anyone know what noxagt are like?

captain easychord
13-09-2005, 10:00 PM
lightning bolt are drum and bass, straight up.

funny actually, they played here in toronto last week and me and my friends described it as an "indie-rave", the crowd's usual sadsack countenence replaced by balls-out 'avin it, something you almost never see at indie shows.

BTW they are fucking incredible to watch, and i recommend that tour DVD if you haven't checked it out.

brotherjames
13-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Hereís LB website: http://laserbeast.com/

I canít find the live video footage though.

Noxagt are violin (as a riff machine), bass and drums. They made excellent instrumental noise-rock. Their last work has one or two tracks that could be made by stoner/metal My Blood Valentine clone.
Try also Sightings.

daren
13-09-2005, 10:18 PM
since we're here, and the only thing i know is theyre on teh same label as lightning bolt, anyone know what noxagt are like?

Noxagt are a Viola, bass, and drum trio from Norway. I would say their influences are Nordic. Crush heavy music in not the heavy drone stoner way, but lighting fast punches. Their earlier material is fun to listen to although nothing like their current line-up.

daren
13-09-2005, 10:23 PM
I never thought that rave would be a way to descibe LB's live experience, but that is very fitting. They are very positive and happy guys which also shows through their artwork and comic books.

Hypermagic Mountain is full on awesome.

brotherjames
13-09-2005, 10:27 PM
I never thought that rave would be a way to descibe LB's live experience, but that is very fitting. They are very positive and happy guys which also shows through their artwork and comic books.

Hypermagic Mountain is full on awesome.

I agree 100%. And I have no problems in considering them the best rock act in the last 4 years.

captain easychord
14-09-2005, 12:39 AM
I have no problems in considering them the best rock act in the last 4 years.

I think they've gotta be the best band bar none. (By 'band' i guess i mean rock act.)

kingofcars
14-09-2005, 02:04 AM
i saw lightning bolt + melt banana + pixeltan about 4-5 years ago...
hands down the best rock show i've ever seen...

Diggedy Derek
14-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Noxagt are really really really good.

matt b
14-09-2005, 11:02 AM
other fine load records bands:

men's recovery project- although the cd on load isn't their best (get the 7"s), they are one of the best h.c. of the past 10 years. fact.

vincebus eruptum- heavy and hilarious

khanate- ANOTHER doom/sludge/drone/sunn o))) band (pelican are better)

mms
14-09-2005, 05:18 PM

men's recovery project- although the cd on load isn't their best (get the 7"s), they are one of the best h.c. of the past 10 years. fact.

vincebus eruptum- heavy and hilarious

khanate- ANOTHER doom/sludge/drone/sunn o))) band (pelican are better)

khanate have a new one out on hydrahead and it's pretty soul stripping!
sort of like that stuff - it's really like heavy metal has alchemically turned into the brain and methods of industrial .

Diggedy Derek
14-09-2005, 05:30 PM
That new CD is very good I reckon. Something in those long, tunnel-like dark musical passages is rather like Coil i reckon.

don_quixote
14-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Noxagt are really really really good.

awesomeness, theyre playing cambridge in 3 weeks time, and ur, yeah, well i'm going along i just wanted to know what to expect

Woebot
15-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Reminds me, anyone read that Wire interview with Coleman recently, where he tries to explain Harmelodics or whatever it's called? Did anyone find it enlightening? I couldn't get my head round it at all, although I didn't have time to reread it.

apparently the only person who ever properly grasped harmolodics was james blood ulmer. once. and he wasnt exactly sure what he did right to grasp it.

i love ornette. him playing at the bar-be-can was one of the best shows i ever saw. but harmolodics as a concept is total bullshit.

deek, have you ever seen that mike mills film about "harmolodics". thats a pile of horseshit too. lots of "stars" like lou reed going on about the imnportance of coleman. not a single clear point made. possibly the worst documentary about music ever.

Melchior
15-09-2005, 09:20 AM

Is that Sam McPheeters from Born against's band?

matt b
15-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Is that Sam McPheeters from Born against's band?

certainly is.

wrangler brutes was his last band- early 80s style h.c.- good too.

matt b
15-09-2005, 09:30 AM
sort of like that stuff - it's really like heavy metal has alchemically turned into the brain and methods of industrial .

some is good and some is awful- seems like a fashionable bandwagon at the moment (alongside isis rip-offs), which puts me off.

huffafc
15-09-2005, 09:31 AM
yes men's recovery project is sam mcpheeters. great stuff too, kind of like eerily cogent writings of a schizophrenic with decrepit synth tunes in the back ground.

also, the new khanate record is soul destroying. I have to give them my vote for top of the doom metal heep, even above sunn o)), although I think they are doing very different things. as I think I said somewhere else on dissensus sunn o)) can almost be relaxing.

whereas khanate is one of those band that, to my ears, doesn't just signify 'scary' like many black metal bands. they actually produce fear and terror.

matt b
15-09-2005, 11:23 AM
yes men's recovery project is sam mcpheeters. great stuff too, kind of like eerily cogent writings of a schizophrenic with decrepit synth tunes in the back ground.

or men laughing and urinating etc.

to paraphrase "all music is shit to god, he thinks we're a bunch of crying babies"

infinite thought
21-09-2005, 11:56 PM
been listening to 'wonderful rainbow' lately (guess the lp before hypermagic mountain). curious about the whole providence scene after recently talking to jessica rylan (can't, works/tours with prurient, emil beaulieau, kites) .

she argued that noise went from uk-japan-us, deacade by decade (80s, 90s, 00s)....and that we were just about due for a folk-noise explosion. yay!

this lightning bolt record is energetic noise-prog...it's deeply addictive in the way that noise repeated becomes...like us maple in that respect....the shouty bits remind me of the boggs (brooklyn psychotic-folk, now defunct), and the guitar solos like ozric tentacles...it's ace...

seahorsegenius
23-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Folk noise explosion? Oh geez.

Yeah, I think this might be their greatest. I'm not sure. I like the experimentation near the end. I can't wait for Frenzy now.

daren
23-09-2005, 07:13 PM
she argued that noise went from uk-japan-us, deacade by decade (80s, 90s, 00s)....and that we were just about due for a folk-noise explosion. yay!

We're getting closer to that in the US. A really good recent release of the whole weird-folk-noise style is the By the Fruits You Shall Know The Roots 3xLP on Time-Lag that's super sold out.

In Moll
23-09-2005, 08:46 PM
for anyone who hasn't seen the ft. thunder site (http://www.fortthunder.org/), it's more than worth a gander...

seahorsegenius
24-09-2005, 09:24 PM
been listening to 'wonderful rainbow' lately (guess the lp before hypermagic mountain). curious about the whole providence scene after recently talking to jessica rylan (can't, works/tours with prurient, emil beaulieau, kites) .

this lightning bolt record is energetic noise-prog...it's deeply addictive in the way that noise repeated becomes...like us maple in that respect....the shouty bits remind me of the boggs (brooklyn psychotic-folk, now defunct), and the guitar solos like ozric tentacles...it's ace...
What do you want to know about the Providence? Surely you know about Paper Rad (http://paperrad.org). If not, check out the music videos on there, and check out the Pick A Winner DVD aslo, even though that isn't stricly Providence. Though the whole scene has really gone downhill lately, I don't even think it really exists that much anymore.

daren
25-09-2005, 12:25 AM
What do you want to know about the Providence? Surely you know about Paper Rad (http://paperrad.org). If not, check out the music videos on there, and check out the Pick A Winner DVD aslo, even though that isn't stricly Providence. Though the whole scene has really gone downhill lately, I don't even think it really exists that much anymore.

The Providence scene is getting weaker since the whole Ft. Thunder crowd decentralized itself after the fall of it. This doesn't mean that noise in the US is going down though. There's still a large noise scene in California and Michigan. If you meant it's going downhill in quality releases, that's a whole other issue.

seahorsegenius
25-09-2005, 02:22 AM
No no, I'm talking strictly Providence. Other places are booming.

seahorsegenius
26-09-2005, 02:15 PM
And, I'm sorry, but I don't get the whole metal thing attatched to LB. Is it the shredding (see: Bizzaro Zarro Land)? Or is there something else I'm missing? I always linked them to early Boredoms, and maybe Boredoms were inspired by metal, and of course LB by early Boredoms. Then again who doesn't owe something to them?

:mad: