"we invented the remix"

petergunn

plywood violin
was reading an article about Tom Moulton:

While P-Diddy Combs can legitimately talk about birthing the era of the hip-hop remix (his remix of Craig Mack's "Flava in Your Ear" had the same impact of Moulton's "Love is the Message" remix), Philadelphia Classics is a reminder that folks who held it down at Sigma Sound Studios three decades ago, were the one who truly invented the remix.

and i couldn't believe they actually compared P-Diddy's claim to Moulton's work, so i thought about it... and i concluded that "we DESTROYED the remix" would be more apt, or fairly "we CHANGED the remix", ie. before the Puffy era, a remix meant, most of the time, the same vocals as the original with a different beat... nowadays, it means the same beat, with WAY too many guest MC's... i won't deny, in the mid 90's, it was pretty cool to hear all your favorite rappers on one track, but that got beat into the ground pretty fast...

these days, a good reggaeton remix can save a bad song ("lean back"), but in general i think i really miss the "same vocals, different beat" remix days in hip hop...

nomos

Administrator
Maybe Puffy got it twisted and meant to say he invented the mashup. Like back when he used to take entire songs (eg: "Stairway to Heaven") by other people and awkwardly mix them into his own.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Remixing according to the didster is sitting down with lawyers representing the publishing arms of the big 4 (or is it now 3) and saying 'what have you got for me this month chaps?'

After all a hip hop ethic of street recontextualisation is all very well, so long as it's in sync with the broader marketing push.

Anyway, King Tubby invented the remix. And lots more besides. Genius.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Fixing The Mix

I think there are a number of approaches available to 'remix' a track and I'm not sure that they can be directly compared to each other.

In Hip Hop a 'Remix' could mean that new vocals are added or it could mean the beat is completely changed.

Tom Moulton would repeat/extend and highlight elements in the mix and he rarely added any additional instrumentation.

King Tubby would take a vocal track and using drop outs and reverbs create a 'new' track for MC's to toast over.

Tyro.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
Some might argue Ruddy Redwood and Byron Smith had something to do with the idea too in 1967 when they recorded the first instrumental "version" of The Paragons hit 'On The Beach'.

I would argue that Puff Daddy invented 'styling out my eyes being so close together by wearing sunglasses all the time'.

But cheesefest or not, I still rate what he did to Genius of Love by The Tom Tom Club.

gumdrops

how can you say lean back was a terrible song? both the scott storch original and the lil jon remix were two of the best hip hop tracks of last year!

joenice

Miriam Gonzalez lover....
Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
Anyway, King Tubby invented the remix. And lots more besides. Genius.
add me to this list. Brilliant !!!!!

all about "The Easy Dub"...