Hybrid bike suggestions

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I want to buy a bicycle and I'm not sure what brands to look for. I'm
interested in a hybrid road / mountain bike, fairly light, ideally under
£200. I've looked at a Ridgeback which was very nice and light but 400
quid was a bit steep. Anyone have any suggestions?

And is there a good place to buy second hand? ebay isn't turning much up
for me...

Woebot

get a good bike. get more expensive insurance. and get it stolen.

get a better bike. get more expensive insurance. and get it stolen.

voila.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Lol

Matt, howzabout I get a crap cheap bike? (And not get it stolen...)

Bear in mind I live in the safest place in Britain :)

I'm going down Dacathlon later to look at cheapo gear, if I can stay awake long enough...

ome

I got a claud Butler Levante hybrid from discountbicycles.co.uk for £300 (walked into thier wharehouse near brixton and offered cash) had it for a year do over 12m every work day on it.

(racing rims will eventually buckle and crack with potholes or curb jumps)

3underscore

ome said:
I got a claud Butler Levante hybrid from discountbicycles.co.uk for £300 (walked into thier wharehouse near brixton and offered cash) had it for a year do over 12m every work day on it.

I take it you mean 12 miles, otherwise it isn't much to brag about!

soup

I am also currently shopping around for a hybrid (having had yet another bike nicked) and have tried out various models and it sorta depends what you want and what your attitude to cycling is. I feel the need for speed but dont want to be hunched over my front wheel as I have a 16mile round trip everyday. Started looking round the £300.00 mark and nothing gave me that feeling of 'yeah I want to ride this - 'upped my guide price a bit and looked at some of the Marins and for the extra cash you rely do start to get more comfort and velocity. Dont know what your work situation is, but there is a government scheme which could save you about a third of the price due to tax rebates(could make your Ridgeback more affordable) and has been taken up by larger companies and the public sector check these two sites http://www.halfordsb2b.com/bikes4work-schemes.asp
http://www.publicsector.org/index-bikes4work.htm
A lot of bike shops are starting to pick up on this scheme though Halfords (who Iam not a great fan of generaly) do seem to have it pretty tied up and they can source most bikes for you

soup

and another thing

also found that you can get deals on 2005 models as the 2006 models have started to enter shops.

ome

soup said:
there is a government scheme which could save you about a third of the price due to tax rebates

my work couldn't do it: when they inquired they were told it was only applicable to companies with several hundred employies

Jim Daze

Marin Muirwoods is fairly cheap at 400 and you can pay it off in six months if you buy it from Cyclesurgery. I know bikes get nicked, it's happend to me twice but there aint no point in getting a too cheap bike they just dont last, I highyly reccomend this bike, it's not strictly a hybrid but this is good because the rims are much stronger. Or you could go down Brick Lane of course and buy a stolen one but is this right ?, I'm not sure.... :p

luka

don't whatever you do buy a cheap bike, they're dangerous. seriously. the way i seen them things buckle is not right.

xero

was minusone
ome said:

(racing rims will eventually buckle and crack with potholes or curb jumps)

i got this bike too & very happy with it. I always used to ride mountain bikes around town but this is really a road bike with straight handlebars rather than a mountain bike with bigger wheels like most hybrids. The rims are deep section which makes them strong - I still ride mountain bike style on it, hitting kerbs and such like. they could be had new for £250 around the end of last year which is excellent value for such a lightweight bike.

i pulled all the stickers off mine & blacked out the frame, tends to attract the attention of thieves less that way I reckon