which better: Hafler Trio or Nurse With Wound?

zhao

there are no accidents
I've enjoyed scattered pieces in both entity's discography, which are almost as messy as Coil's. and my knowledge of their respective histories is very choppy at best (Nurse came from Post-Punk/Goth territory, right? where did Hafler come from?) . but was wondering what other peole thought of them and the ways they changed through the past several decades. (I expect comparisons with Coil)

how do you do one o them damned polls?

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Both entity have more of 20 years of history and recording, sorry right now i don't have time for going on details. Also they are very prolific (by the way a Nurse comps 2cd it's just out in the shop). No real comparison with Coil, really, except John Balance friendship with Steven Stapleton.
Nurse with wound come from a love for krautrock and similar leftfield strange music (Stapleton hated punk rock), Hafler from Industrial (original founder Watson was in Cabaret Voltaire, McKenzie was cofounder of the label Touch).

zhao

there are no accidents
woebot help! I don't know how a double of this thread appeared... can you delete the other one?

I just bought Soliloquy For Lilith (Nurse) and Uterances of the Infinite Ventriloquist (Hafler)... so far I love Solioquy (played all 3 discs back to back... so nice! and haven't heard Utterances yet.

I seem to remember having an old Nurse CD and it was like goth-ish post-punk... lots of fuzzy feedback and stoic rhythms...

I'm not informed enough on Nurse with Wound to cast a vote, I'm afraid. I like alot of the Hafler Trio stuff though, esp. the earlier projects with Chris Watson (who's now an award winning natural history sound recordist, who sometimes releases his work on CD via Touch ).

martin

----
I don't think they sound similar, but then again I only ever heard one Hafler Trio CD and that was years ago...I'd say Nurse win in terms of flamboyance and interesting concepts, though it's not easy to assess it musically...if we're talking "Merzbild Schwet", "Insect and Individual" and "Soliloquy for Lilith", I think NWW beat a lot of their experimental contemporaries hands down.

zhao

there are no accidents
martin said:
Not sure, but yr right, it's brilliant

yeah and the reissue has a nice moire pattern package.

other must-listens besides Soliliquy?

oh and I just checked, the noisy post-punk I heard was the first album by "In The Nursery". :eek:

D84

Dunno which is better. I've got a few H3O CDs which I've enjoyed at some time or another - eg. Mastery of Money, Snuff w/ Willem De Ridder - whereas my mate swears by NWW.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
I’ve always had a soft spot for this….

(sellotaped together easy listening pedating Stock,Hausen & Walkman et al.)

adverb

the two halfler/autechre collabs are excellent - a bit pricey 'cos of the packaging - but well worth checking out.

shipwreck radio by nww is fantastic also.

i couldn't really decide who i prefer though.