New Wavers making music for kid's shows

Woebot

Bit of a Dad's thread this one.

cast.jpg

Ever notice Mark Mothersbaugh (ex of Devo) scored the music for Rugrats?

He's gone on to put all the music together for Wes Anderson.

backyardigans.jpg

Anyway, I was really surprised to see that Nickelodeons new thing, the actually quite endearing bucketshop 3D of Backyardigans, is scored by Evan Lurie (ex-Lounge Lizards). And dontcha know the music in it is actually rather fabulous, especially the rather loevly wistful theme song.

With this and my Vince Guaraldi thread, you know the writings really on the wall ;)

john eden

male pale and stale
JimO'Brien said:
Evan Lurie also does the music for Oswald the Octopus. Well worth listening to.

I didn't know that - it's a brilliant show and I always thought the music was superb.

There was something about Foetus doing music for the Cartoon Network in his interview in The Wire, iirc.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
There's a US toon which features bis.

The one with babies as an alien invasion (which from a toddler eye view is fair enough).

kingofcars

mark mothersbaugh turns up everywhere.

graeme revell (spk) does the music for all sorts of things, too.....mostly horror and sci-fi movies, but some kids stuff too (shark boy and lava girl).

don't know of jg thirwell (foetus) doing music for anything outside of richard kern movies...

carlos

manos de piedra
Mothersbaugh did the music for pee wee's playhouse in the 80s- i think that's where his kid-show career started

just checked the foetus website and he did the music for a show called "The Venture Brothers" (2003/2004) on Cartoon Network - did an original theme and used foetus and steroid maximus tracks for the soundtrack

Raw Patrick

The Venture Bros is a brilliant, scabrous, sometimes kinda moving, piss take of Hanna Barbara action cartoons like Johnny Quest and superheroes like the Fantastic Four and Dr Strange. It's not for kids though. I heartily recommend it.

BSquires

Sonny Sharrock - not exactly New Wave but may be of interest - apparently did the music for 'Space Ghost Coast to Coast' which seems to have been something on Cartoon Network. I haven't heard or seen it though... Has anyone here?

bassnation

the abyss
WOEBOT said:
Nickelodeons new thing

wandering wildly off topic here, but is the sky cartoons package worth getting for this stuff?

i went for the documentary package instead as i felt the kids already watch loads of cartoons.

mistakenly thought the documentaries would be educational but instead it seems to be "worlds most savage shark / crocodile" every bloody night. not exactly bbc standard!

beginning to think we should switch.

D

droid

Anyone know who did the Samurai Jack music and sound design? The attention to detail in the aural side of that show is consistently amazing...

JimO'Brien

wandering wildly off topic here, but is the sky cartoons package worth getting for this stuff?

The only ones worth having are Nick Jr and Cbeebies. They can keep a 2 year old and a 6 year old happy enough without making any adults in the room throw the TV out the window. The rest of the kid's channels are diabolical.

droid said:
Anyone know who did the Samurai Jack music and sound design? The attention to detail in the aural side of that show is consistently amazing...

one time I was watching that and heard the noise that Terror Danjah used for 'Sonar' and 'Radar'. True story - no lie.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
BSquires said:
Sonny Sharrock - not exactly New Wave but may be of interest - apparently did the music for 'Space Ghost Coast to Coast' which seems to have been something on Cartoon Network. I haven't heard or seen it though... Has anyone here?

Its one of the funnier things to hit Cartoon Network, and cable TV in general. They took an old cartoon character, Space Ghost, and gave him a talk show. His old nemeses are his producers, and the whole show has a kind of choppy, slow, and "unwritten" feel that makes it seem like its done live. I seem to remember very little music in it at all, or I dont remember the music at all. I remember a suprising lack of soundtrack and lots of silent long pauses.

Funny stuff though.