2005's Best Urban Hip-Hop?

Woebot

For some reason I've totally missed out on straight-up "banging" US Hip-Hop this year.

Every year I manage to pick up a few, especially when the Timbatunes thing was at its height, but somehow Lil Jon hasnt quite filled their shoes (I did like the Ying Yang Twins LP though, er, even though he didnt produce it).

What 5 tracks have been really scorching this year?

gumdrops

'urban' hip-hop? as opposed to the rural stuff?

some 'banging' hip hop tunes that come to mind - ying yang twins' wait (the whisper song), kanye west's gold digger, three 6 mafia's stay fly, paul wall's im a playa, slim thug's like a boss, mike jones' still tippin (although its been around for a couple of years, really).

C

captain easychord

the south was running it this year, but lil jon was kind of on the slow side. i would endorse the above recommendations and add young jeezy ft mannie fresh - "and then what".

NYC was really hurting this year, the success of 'lean back' has resulted in about a million knockoffs in that style.... excpet for dipset, they're still putting out some big ones. check out "the best out" on 12", as well as the two new juelz santana 12's "there it go" (the whistle song) and "mic check"

believekevin

i tag the many great tracks mentioned on this thread. must check "crunk muzik" off the jim jones lp for some more dipset. what about "soul survivor", the young jeezy/akon piece on the radio right now?

i prefer david banner's "play" over the whisper song. new ying yang twins is pretty gross.

Dubquixote

Submariner
The new Mobb Deep / 50 Cent collab 'Outta Control' is a major creeper. Got that infectious sample which you can listen to on loop all day kinda like the horns in 'Brand New Flava.' Definite in the club business.

Dubquixote

Submariner
Mike Jones 'Back Then' is another undeniable anthem, even if it's been rinsed to death. Mike Jones has pretty much owned this year, and alongside the whole Swisha House have repped Houston real big this year.

shudder

"hate it or love it" by the game w/ 50. i looove the way it goes back and forth between the two different beats...

Red Rooster

Loving 50 Cent this year.

also feeling

Mike Jones

and Ciara has been quite entertaining, alongside Missy Elliot who can't make a bad record.

juliand

If I had to pick five, they'd be:

Paul Wall, "Sittin' Sidewayz"
John Doe, "Rollin'"
The Team, "It's Gettin' Hot"
Three 6 Mafia, "Stay Fly"
Frontline, "What Is It?!!"

But there's a wealth of bangers out there, available on "Southern Smoke," "Got That Purp," and so on--though since records can float around in the mix world for months before ever getting onto an album, some of these might be older:

Rich Boy, "Get to Poppin'"
Dirt Bag, "Here We Go"
John Doe "You Don't Believe Me"
Baby, "Neck of the Woods"
BG, "Same Ol' Shit"
E-A-Ski, "Ride"
Turf Talk, "It's Ah Slumper"
Slim Thug, "Murder Weapon" & "Problematic"
Mike Jones, "Still Tippin'"
Young Jeezy, "And Then What"
Peedi Crakk, "Thug Love"
Trae, "What Can I Do"
Big Boi, "Oh No" & "808"
and Paul Wall's track with Freeway on "The People's Champ"

Jeezy's album is good, so's Paul Wall's, so's the Chamillitary album.
Turf Talk's OK; The Team's "Negro League" has a few great tracks.

They lack the image of "avant" still attached to grime but lots of wicked sonics on the stuff listed above--the distortion on the main riff in "It's Gettin' Hot", the half-time passages in "You Don't Believe Me, " the stutter on "Problematic" et cetera

Last edited:

tek tonic

slap dee barnes
most of the good shit has been mentioned, but don't sleep on Bun B - "Draped Up". in the same vein as "Sittin' Sideways" / "Still Tippin'" / "Back Then"; slow, syrupy with a chopped hook. also Webbie f. Bun B - "Gimme That" is kind of fun, if not terribly original.