when popular culture meets other culture...

treblekicker

True Faith
The audience looked kind of bemused didn't they?

In answer to the original question, I guess the history of popular culture mixing with other cultures - and as this is the music forum, classical music in particular has been somewhat patchy.

On one hand you have Phillip Glass remixing S'Express, Radiohead and Sigur Ros working with Merce Cunningham and the United Bamboo/freak folk tie-in compilation to name three.

However you also have Hooked on Classics, Bond, Charlotte Church and Il Divo.

I guess it boils down to who needs who more?

martin

----
David Baddiel and Rob Newman once did a Crass-related sketch at Wembley, and played 'Do The Owe us a Living'. (Really early 90s). There was some show Dominic Diamond (Celtic-supporting football pundit) did late night on Channel 5 where he was asking various football players what their favourite Fall songs were, and then they played a video clip of 'Hit the North'. Mark E Smith's also been on Jerry Sadowitz's shows a few times.

Last edited:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
I remember seeing Bernard Manning on the Last Resort doing a medely of Smiths songs(complete with daffodils) adverising a fictitious compilation.

treblekicker

True Faith
labrat said:
I remember seeing Bernard Manning on the Last Resort doing a medely of Smiths songs(complete with daffodils) adverising a fictitious compilation.

That sounds brilliant. A bit like this...
smiths.jpg

...with credit to The Man Who Fell Asleep .