Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music

blunt

shot by both sides
Has anyone seen this?

This site looks like it's going to be a piss take... and then turns out to be the work of a total facking genius.

<a href="http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html" target="_blank">Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music</a>

Nothing new, no doubt, for all the musos on this list - and no entry for grime as far as I can see - but the man deserves maximum props for the amount of time, effort and thought that's gone into this project; not to mention spreading the love :)

D

droid

I dunno. Theres obviously a lot of work put in, but its also a bit retarded... Apollo 440? Jazzstep? His comments on Jump up are reprehensible, and his categorisation seems more than a little arbitrary!

If youd never listened to any electronic music it might be useful as a beginners guide I suppose... :confused:

blunt

shot by both sides
droid said:
His comments on Jump up are reprehensible, and his categorisation seems more than a little arbitrary!

Sure, but surely there's room for the subjective in any such venture.

droid said:
If youd never listened to any electronic music it might be useful as a beginners guide I suppose...

Miaow ;) Useful as beginner's guide, yes. But also good for a trip down amnesia lane, I thought. And I found some of it pretty funny; like this bit, on Big Beat:

"Ahh, Big Beat. This is the genre that finally made the homephobic frat house crowd finally accept that pussy electronic music at their Saturday night kegger parties. I mean, they still thought it was gay, but not as gay as that faggot trance shit."​

Arf.

Oh, and there's no entry for Tripwire, either...

D

droid

blunt said:
Sure, but surely there's room for the subjective in any such venture.

Miaow ;) Useful as beginner's guide, yes. But also good for a trip down amnesia lane, I thought. And I found some of it pretty funny; like this bit, on Big Beat:

"Ahh, Big Beat. This is the genre that finally made the homephobic frat house crowd finally accept that pussy electronic music at their Saturday night kegger parties. I mean, they still thought it was gay, but not as gay as that faggot trance shit."​

Arf.

Yes - but more in a 'laugh at' than 'laugh with' kinda way...

Oh, and there's no entry for Tripwire, either...

That settles it. Its a fairly worthless endevaour if he fails to mention the most important cultural and musical movement of the last 20 years... :D

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
I'm having a seriously unproductive afternoon exploring this site. 9 out of 10, docked a point for spelling gabba wrongly.
On the contrary, one of the best things about it is that it's actually spelling gabber rigth.

C

captain easychord

i remember checking that site out last year, it's pretty fun (and subjective).

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Im intrigued, is that a joke or a genuine typo? :)
Ah, damn, rigth is wrong... but gabber is right. Actually, both spellings have existed for pretty much all of the genres lifetime, but most of the original dutch stuff use 'gabber'. Sounds and looks better too; 'gabba' just makes me think of the Ramones (something I prefer not to).

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
hamarplazt said:
Ah, damn, rigth is wrong... but gabber is right. Actually, both spellings have existed for pretty much all of the genres lifetime, but most of the original dutch stuff use 'gabber'. Sounds and looks better too; 'gabba' just makes me think of the Ramones (something I prefer not to).

Cheers, i didnt know that. I stand corrected. I've only ever seen it written as gabba.

He's putting 'gabber' forward as an american genre and relegates the dutch stuff under the title 'Rotterdam' (which is where he mentions the other spelling in passing), so i thought there was maybe a bit of revisionism going on but maybe its not that clear cut.

But a great site and very funny otherwise. Its a shame he couldnt have put the year of release in for each tune, that would have given a more exact sense of how things developed.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
He's putting 'gabber' forward as an american genre and relegates the dutch stuff under the title 'Rotterdam' (which is where he mentions the other spelling in passing), so i thought there was maybe a bit of revisionism going on but maybe its not that clear cut.
American producers (though (almost) only from New York) made important contributions to the development of gabber for sure, but I wouldn't say that they developed something separate. Much more interesting is the german part of the evolution: PCP, Mono Tone, Generator, Shock Wave.
But a great site and very funny otherwise.
My favorite is "Power Electronics".

I certainly could do without the usual mindless Detroit myth, though.

S

simon silverdollar

i spent quite a while on this site in early summer when i was meant to be finishing writing my thesis!

It's good fun, altho may be a very too sarcastic sometimes for me. (altho when he hates a dance subgenre that you also hate, it's fun reading him tear it apart!)

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
disclaimer of sorts

saw this about a year ago, wonder if it ever gets updated, the samples are really interesting, kinda makes you want to pickup some of this stuff from really obscure genres, it must be US/Canadian. The disclaimer is excellent, he doesn't care if you think he's got it all wrong! my favourite quote is 'Happy hardcore - music so infatile you feel like a paedophile just listening to it :p '

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
hamarplazt said:
American producers (though (almost) only from New York) made important contributions to the development of gabber for sure, but I wouldn't say that they developed something separate. Much more interesting is the german part of the evolution: PCP, Mono Tone, Generator, Shock Wave.

My favorite is "Power Electronics".

I certainly could do without the usual mindless Detroit myth, though.

Eh...what about the Midwest? Drop Bass Network and suchlike. Delta 9, Doormouse...

As for year of release, the background is a series of concentric circles that roughly dates the genres.

I discovered rio funk through that website and it was there way before it started getting hyped on the blogosphere. I wonder how he got wind of it.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
DigitalDjigit said:
Eh...what about the Midwest? Drop Bass Network and suchlike. Delta 9, Doormouse...
Delta 9 yes, he's the reason I wrote almost. But the rest of the hardcorps didn't make gabber, just very very hard acid. And Doormouse came later.

kingofcars

midwest hardcorps represent!
DBN and its sublabels are at least is interesting/innovative as the Shockwave camp, imo.

as far as the site goes...great idea, good interface, fairly well written, fun...lots of errors, tho, and i'm sure we all have plenty of genre-squabbles...

shudder

wow. I can't believe this site exists.

Last night, i was contemplating my massive ignorance about dance musicks in general, and the connections between everything. I was thinking how cool it would be if someone made a site in flash with all the connections shown, and descriptions, and samples. And well... someone did. fucking awesome! (so it's ugly, and most of his writing are annoying.. still!)

D84

I must have seen a previous incarnation of this site because this new flash one is great. That Big Beat quote is pretty much spot on..

I love how it can get past my work computer's SurfControl and I can hear the the tunes! : )

I'm streaming the Freeform Hardcore tracks right now (never heard of it before either). Quote:

"Freeform is a lot like Happy Hardcore, but without all the cheese... Or like NRG without all the stupid."

or re Techno:

"But what it lacks in soul it makes up for in purity of sound and a mythology so romantic that it can't possibly figure out what to do with itself anymore"

I hate how I can't cut & paste quotes though.