bLectum From bLechdom.....

Woebot

.....surely are to the 00s what The Velvet Underground were to the mid seventies!

Think about it. "The Messy Jessy Fiesta" (The Velvet Underground and Nico) and "Haus De Snaus" (White Light, White Heat) are the exemplars of what music should and could be like in the near future. I reckon part of the reason The Animal Collective have an aura of fascination, of latent possibilities is the way they echo that music. Profane and perverse, learned yet not stuffy (like practically all other Electronica), unimaginably eliptical, not tied to bulwarks like Rock or Rave (people are still talking about the collision of these two, i mean how irrelevant has this been since Liquid Liquid and 1980!!!!), in essence pungent with character and possibility.

Then theres the solo records of Kevin and Blevin, which are the equal of the stuff Lou Reed and John Cale put out in the seventies. With an wholly attractive existential weariness along the lines of "you fools still don't know what the fuck we're talking about".

Have you heard blevin's "Magic Maple" yet? (Thanks Derek!) Its a complete masterpiece, and I use that term advisedly. So much to celebrate, but "Last Track" must be about the only post-ardkore tune that REALLY conveys the rushed up murkiness of the rave. Then it struck me that Kevin's last one was fantastic as well. The way their work seems in step (like a lurchy tango) even though they're not collaborating is just the way Cale and Reeds records must have appeared in the years leading up to punk and beyond.

Both websites sheer genius:
http://www.kevyb.com/
http://blevin.lsr1.com/birds/

and here:
http://www.kevyb.com/eatmyinfo.html
Kevin's playing Live in London in October and I reckon I'm going to go down.

And Sagan! Itching to here that stuff now. On a Prog Rock tip (strokes beard and looks to the wings)

Last edited:

owen

heh that's the best comparison i've ever read on dissensus!

hurrah in general for the blectums, for the artwork in haus de snaus especially, the whole sick autistic children creating imaginary worlds thing...(didn't blissblogger compare them to 'heavenly creatures'?)

1041801010.gif

i love kevin's solo records, though they can be a little wracked (again in 70s cale/reed style i guess)- once played the cover of 'private dancer' on (college) radio and someone phoned in to ask what on earth it was (this was the only feedback we got in 4 years of doing said show)

there's bit of a scandal abt the cover for the new one- they've had to change the bosoms and offal image for US and UK, pah...

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Kevy Blechdom is serioous. I saw her live here in berlin and she finished her set with a cover of whitney houston's 'I will always love you' which everytime you thought it would end she would bring back the chorus warbling even more crazily until the whole thing went WAAAY past hilarious into some bizzarre and amazing territory of exhaustion and exhilaration. Very very deeep. I see her occasionally around Berlin and she's really nice, always a pleasure to talk to. We don't know each other well at all but I can say she is one of the cooler musicians I've met, look in the dictionary next to down to earth and there she is.

micmack

My Little Pony
Agree about BfB. Totally love and haven't got bored of listening to Talon Slalom. To me its one of those too few glitchy electronic records that is sonically engaging throughout the whole album. :)

Jesse D Serrins

I really don't have anything particularly constructive to add to this except to say that I'm totally psyched to see the pair addressed so positively on this forum. Bitches w/ Britches rocks my world whenever I put it on. The banjo can't be fucked with, and the cover of Private Dancer is heartwrenching. The way her voice is uncomfortably close to being beautiful in its awkwardness, it's almost too much.

monsterbobby

bug powder
SIZZLE said:
Kevy Blechdom is serioous. I saw her live here in berlin and she finished her set with a cover of whitney houston's 'I will always love you' which everytime you thought it would end she would bring back the chorus warbling even more crazily until the whole thing went WAAAY past hilarious into some bizzarre and amazing territory of exhaustion and exhilaration. Very very deeep.

I saw her do this at the ocean rooms in brighton supporting Dat Politics (who were also amazing). Somehow, the absurdly escalating key changes of her whitney cover wasn't quite as funny as seeing her sat down with Max Tundra singing a duet of Extreme's More Than Words on an acoustic guitar and a laptop. Tundra was dressed all 1940s public school boy and they sang in close harmony. the whole thing was strangely moving. (later in the evening we saw them kising on the dancefloor).

Woebot

if the vu comparison holds water then sagan must be the cale/eno/nico/ayers hydra

and owen OTM re the artwork. best artwork ever?

zhao

there are no accidents
I saw them in a tiny little space performing in front of about 15 people about 6 years ago and they were effortlessly brilliant. (whereas I don't have much patience for Dat Politics)

I can understand and even sympathize with their anti male/stuffy/academic/overly intellectualized approach to electronic music, but at the same time I appreciate the work by Kim Cascone, Alva Noto, etc...

used to be much more into glitch sound than now and have not listened much to the B+B and solo albums... must pull them from the shelves for a closer listen.

but honestly do you think these girls will be 1/100 as influential and culturally definitive as VU?

owen

'these girls'....why not though? i mean in 1971 people would surely have seen the VU as nowhere near as historically central as say, the grateful dead :p

what they need to start doing is producing other people in a Cale style---Blevin producing a 21st c Stooges or summat...their guest appearances are always fantastic- Blevin gawkily lsiping through Vanity 6's 'make up' on the 1st Soft Pink Truth LP is surely the sexiest vocal put to vinyl in the last 5 years...

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
i've gotta disagree on this one

had a copy of "haus de snaus" for a while, but soon sold it off

also saw one of em live at subtonic

i appreciated the earnestness of her peformance -- and she had this kinda innocent "nerdy" girl vibe about her, which could have been endearing, but i suppose i *expect* glamour and darkness, style and edge from rock/rave stars, not quirky innocence w/ a touch of the perverse

as for the music, i see it as parasitic on rave and other sounds

overly intellectualized, ultimately trifling stuff

not enough raw power or wickedness

and the little gal potty humor for me is too much of a gimmick -- and it seems to me a forced gimmick

in short, me no like

S

simon silverdollar

i've always dismissed them previously as self-consciously twee to an almost nauseating degree...but this thread has inspired me to dig out my cdrs of haus de snaus and talon slalom.

hope that i eventually fall in love with these records as much as other people here have done...

zhao

there are no accidents
it's the short attention span aesthetic of much of the Tigerbeat / Bay Area (or other area) IDM thing that I've completely out-grown... I want things I can sink my teeth into...