Surprisingly few ganja tunes in grime?

DonRuba

Stocktown man
Another thread in the same vein as the one about political grime...

I've been thinking about the fact that there is very few grime tunes that talk about smoking weed.

Isn't that weird, considering how much US hiphop artists and Jamaican dancehall artists like to talk about this subject, and that urban british youth probably smoke roughly as much as their American and Jamaican counterparts? I mean, compare it to talking about guns. On that subject grime MC's compete very well with hiphop and dancehall artists. But weed? Nope.

And yeah, I'm sure you can fill up this thread with quotes from tunes where weedsmoking is mentioned, but that's kind of not very interesting, since it's still a fact that it's pretty unusal.

So I'm more interested in if anyone has any good explanations for this. All theories are welcome.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
the primary focus seems to express that you're a badman more than you smoke weed, though it does come up more in lyrics than titles. chronic's 'blaze more than u' being the exception.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
luka said:
its blue brown and pink, not green and certainly not purple.

£20 notes most certainly *are* purple. you're too rich. you obviously don't fuck with anything under a fifty often!

luka

i haven't had anything over a fiver in my pocket for about 3 months! itsa still a weed reference though, i'm still the winner

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
luka said:
i haven't had anything over a fiver in my pocket for about 3 months! itsa still a weed reference though, i'm still the winner
If it's a reference to money, it's a reference to weed.

Massive hash shortage in Sheffield for three weeks now. Weed thin on the ground as ever. Sometimes it sucks being at the end of the supply chain.

gabriel

The Heatwave
stelfox said:
fivers are blue, you nutcase!

hmm yeah i see what you mean, on inspection i can see they're pretty bluish - but i'd never called them straight up blue. i always tend to see the green in turquoise before blue; the green/blue argument is a common one in colour disagreements it seems.

be interested to see how others view this one. maybe it's just me?!

picture here:
http://www.askcab.co.uk/money_site/mfiver.asp

luka

if fivers were green they'd be called greenies not bluies, innit, stands to reason.

there's certainly no drought where i'm from, according to the evening standard and the guardian the police are closing down on average, one skunk factory per day in newham and one day found 14 in a day, the tip of the iceberg apparently. maybe you should move.

petergunn

plywood violin
more weed- surgery
ganjaman- by surgery too, i think...

both produced by sticky, not quite grime tho, i guess...

DonRuba

Stocktown man
Shaun MGS said:
...and let us take time to count our blessings.

Absolutely, don't get me wrong, it's not that I mourn this lack of grime tunes about THC consuming. I just think it's very odd. MC's pretty much chat about what's going in their everyday life (a tired old cliché, I know, but which still holds pretty true I guess), and they all seem to be smoking. So how come they don't do songs about it?

Apart from this, lyrical content of grime pretty much follows patterns established in hiphop and dancehall. If you excuse me for simplifying things a bit, MC's in all this genres mainly talk about guns, girls, how good an MC you are and some other subjects. And in hiphop and dancehall, how much you smoke. But not in grime. I find this really, really strange.

A few weeks ago, Trim was here in Stockholm playing, and he actually talked pretty much about smoking inbetween his tunes, when he wasn't spitting proper bars but just shouting stuff over the instrumentals Karnage and Lickshot played. But write lyrics about it, release records on the subject? Nooo, not in grime. Why?

By the way, just heard a tune a tune that broke this rule, "Kronic" by Young Blood Militia (video at www.videosonroad.com), and it made me even happier that there's so few of these tunes around. Not very good...