Online (grime, dubstep) shops for a US citizen

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
I've been looking all over and can't find any though I'm sure there's lots. No way am I importing albums, or worse, singles and mixes for an extra $12. I need to get it somewhere in the U.S. Any recommends?

Brokeman

Living Too Late
None that I know of but I'd recommend doing the math for importing from the UK. I live in Canada and when I order from Rhythm Division, Juno, Independance, Base, or Dubplate, the prices are almost exactly the same as what I would pay in a shop here. That's including shipping and everything.

I know 12"s are a bit cheaper in the US than here, but the prices are probably still really similar to what you're used to. Check Rhythm Division or Juno's prices including shipping, honestly, they're so cheap when you do the math.

And ultimately, I REALLY doubt that you're going to find a distributor in the States that will get it to you much cheaper than ordering it yourself. These records are pressed in small quantities and only in the UK. There's no real way around it until someone decides to start pressing US versions, which I doubt will ever happen with the genre.

nomos

Administrator
Napiform records (http://napiformrecords.com/) has a small but good selection with most 12"s around USD $10. Forced Exposure has the odd thing and EBReggae.com has a couple of Hyperdub releases. Otherwise we're pretty much out of luck.

Still, Brokeman's right. Depending on the exchange rate and the shipping rate you get, you'll probably end up paying about what you'd pay for a 12" over here. Blackmarket and Juno are good because they don't charge VAT on foreign corders (nobody should, btw). Thanks the the strong CDN doallar I got 3 12"s from Juno last week by FedEx for about CDN $44. Locally I'd normally pay about $60 incl. tax for the same.

Last edited:

Brokeman

Living Too Late
Yeah, big up the exchange rate right now. :)

My most recent rhythm Division order was 4 records for $73 CAN, and that's on the high end of usual because the records were all more expensive promos.

I actually made 7 orders last week (!) and racked up the old Visa. :eek:

I can safely say that Rhythm Division is the best out there. Top notch selection, service and shipping. Prices a bit more than Juno, but they get everything a full week before them and the shipping is just as cheap.

Independance is more expensive, though they get some things a day or so before RD on some occasions. My major complaint about them is that they don't update their stock often enough and I've TWICE ordered from them and had one or more piece be out of stock.

Juno is definately cheapest, and they will deduct VAT as Autonomic said. Plus, you can't beat their organization and MP3 samples, I've never had a problem not knowing which tracks or mixes were on a 12".

I've ordered twice from Base Recordsand they were good; although one item was OOS and didn't ship.

Chemical Records is irrating me right now because I ordered from them a day before my other 6 orders and everything else has arrived except theirs. Hmm. Plus, they're only good for older stuff that may still be sitting around in stock. Still, great organization and MP3 samples.

Kuma

The Konspirator
Grime: Just order form te UK. the end result is going to cost you about the same as you would for an import in the local shop, maybe a buck or two extra per.

Dubstep: Talk to your local shop and see what they can do, you'd be very surprised what the north american distributors are carrying..

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Hey, new to this board, but Ive found it through researching grime, then bleep n bass (from Gutterbreakz site, somehow).

Anyway, Im in the US, and I have me best luck on ebay. Im prolly shooting myself in the foot saying this, but gotta spread the love. I just find someone selling a lot of grime, then get as much as i can at once to defray the shipping.

Also:
www.dubplate.net
http://milkrecords.net/ (more breaks, but occasionally dubstep)

oops, had the wrong link before.

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
seahorsegenius said:
Importing costs too much.

these things cost too much even if you're a block away from a record shop in london. i'm in chile (which is a lot farther away from the uk than where you are), i'm not rich and i can only attest to rhythm division's service. but prices, stock and delivery speed are excellent, just order more than one thing at a time and you'll find your money was well spent.