what does your girl listen to?

sapstra

what does your girlfriend listen to?

I know most people over here (including me) are serious about their music: grime, dub, dancehall, Krautrock, avant classical, whatever. But, what does your girlfriend (or any other significant other, pardon my heterosexual bloke point of view) listen to? Does she like your stuff, or does she think you’re an idiot to listen to such rubbish.
Mine has the latter point of view. And what does she like: Christina Aguilera, John Mayer, Norah Jones. But the ones I dread the most are Crowded House and Ry Cooder. Those I forbid, but still I find myself listening to a lot more stuff she agrees with, and to a lot less stuff I would listen to on my own.
Also, sometimes, when I play my stuff to her, I actually see her point about it being rubbish, and quickly turn it off. Does this sound familiar to any of you, or did I just choose the wrong girl?

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

well, she DOESN'T listen to grime, unfortunately, which makes recording late-night pirate radio shows difficult (altho she's quite partial to some of ruff sqwad's lighter moments). and she thinks that techno is boring.

but she's a great source of recommendations on what folk music is good.

i'm not sure there's any great gender divide in music, though: if you go to see musis that is often classed as 'male'- heavy metal, techno, grime- the audience is often split pretty evenly between men and women.

3underscore

Ah, the good lady is very much a Kanye West fan. Our taste differs significantly, but considering that she is from Indiana and me sunny Manchester, there will always be a touch of difference.

That said, she will listen to anything and really likes New York no wave stuff (working on the UK stuff and Neu Deutsche Welle, mind).

Mrs. Gutta hates pretty much everything I'm into. Music ain't really a priorty in her life anyway. She's more of a telly addict. On the odd occasion she fancies listening to music, it'll usually be a 'Best Of the 80s' compilation, or maybe Wham's greatest hits, or Madonna.

Kid Gutta likes McFly, most current chart pop etc. He thinks dad's music stinks.

Baby Gutta's pretty open minded. He'll dance to anything from 'Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes' to 'Request Line'.

jenks

thread death
the world service and radio4 (and i don't mean the gang of four rip off gang)

she owns a grand total of zero cds!!

makes long journeys in the car interesting, especially as now the kids are old enough they demand the music is turned up loud (they are grooving to a rather fine motown compilation btw)

C

captain easychord

thankfully my beaux likes all the same stuff i do, especially dancehall and hip-hop. she has a hard time listening to grime radio sets but she loves all the singles/album cuts.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
For the record, my current, um, girl listens to dancehall and hip hop , so lots of crossover there (but I don't think she's au fait with the Smiths or Gram Parsons, so maybe I'll have to introduce those surreptitiously). My long-term ex, on the other hand, shared with me a love of country. Sometimes it's useful having wide musical tastes - there'll always be some comonality to latch on to (except in extreme cases...).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
sapstra said:
I'll make sure the next thread i start is about all the links between Aleister Crowley, Coil, Brecht, avant classical and Barthes, because that is obviously more important than such mundane things as the music you hear in your everyday life or the reaction of important people to the music you love.

OTM - I thought it was the best question on here in a while...

owen

heh cheers for the summation of my interests there

sapstra, i have no problems with any of the things you've mentioned (and i'm cranky and hungover so sorry for the rudeness) but there's something so depressing and blokey about this, 'oh what do girls listen to' as if they're some sort of wierd incomprehensible other. there's something very Hornbyish about it.

btw, i could give a fuck about Aleister Crowley :p

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That wasn't addressed to me, but I'll just stick my tuppence in...

Fair point re 'girls', Owen, but it is interesting to see the disparity between musical tastes when one partner is pretty obsessed with music.

'i before e except after c'.... ;)

zhao

there are no accidents
funny funny thread! made me laugh!

Immryr said:
i couldnt take anyone who likes the libertines seriously

the Libertines are nothing. Christina Aguilera is pretty bad... but my girl actually owns, and it makes me want to upchuck every time I think about it, a Dave Mathews CD.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

but she is also totally into dancehall, loves techno, very much down with hiphop and grime, loves the Indian classical and Ethiopian funk and Sumatra pop and other "world" music, likes post-punk, folk, traditional jazz, even some improvised stuff...

so no complaints really... one of these days that Dave Mathews CD will just mysteriously dissapear from her apartment... for EVER.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
confucius said:
funny funny thread! made me laugh!

the Libertines are nothing. Christina Aguilera is pretty bad... but my girl actually owns, and it makes me want to upchuck every time I think about it, a Dave Mathews CD.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

but she is also totally into dancehall, loves techno, very much down with hiphop and grime, loves the Indian classical and Ethiopian funk and Sumatra pop and other "world" music, likes post-punk, folk, traditional jazz, even some improvised stuff...

so no complaints really... one of these days that Dave Mathews CD will just mysteriously dissapear from her apartment... for EVER.

Jesus, your Dave Matthews tale of woe just gave me an obscene and terrifying flashback. I feel your pain, brother.

But an Ethiopian funk fan - respect.