What does the music you listen to say about YOU?

sufi

lala
well?
i think that most of us would like to say that we listen to music on merit alone, but dig deep search yr soul, is that reeeeally true?
i'd say image, whether self-image or how we want to be seen by others, is as important a motive for which sounds we 'get into' as content, no? it's clear that music and style/coolness are so intimately bound up - can any of us say truthfully that we only choose our music for it's sound rather than place in the canon?
dat's the challenge by the way! :p

2 bullet points as follows: does that mean we're willing to listen to music that's ugly just for coolness, & how does the contextlessness of mp3s affect our impartiality towards assessing them??

rather than do a fly-by-night post thread & abandon it t o knotroversy, if y'all respond insightfully & interestingly i promise to come & explain what the music i listen to says about me.....promise :)

treblekicker

True Faith
I'd say that my music taste reveals that I have a short attention span. I tend to collect types of musc and then stop when I've got a certain amount becauase I'm bored with it. I really relate to that Peel quote "I'm more interested in the record I haven't heard yet."

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Ok here's the music I've been seriously interested in at one point or another (in rough chronological order):

death metal
punk rock
US hardcore punk
drum and bass
2step
hip hop
grime

What does that list say about me? That I wish I was tougher than I am.

nonightsweats

i'm constantly searching for music that will inspire me as much as the stuff i listened to in my youth once did. so, if i read any references to krautrock, post-punk, etc in reviews i give them a try. the only one that's really made it on that level in the past few years are the boredoms (but only occassionally). i also listen to a lot of electronic music just because i love the sound of synths. this has led me to shake off my hatred of techno - at least partially. what this says about me is slightly unclear - stuck in the past but still seeking the transcendental?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
treblekicker said:
I'd say that my music taste reveals that I have a short attention span. I tend to collect types of musc and then stop when I've got a certain amount becauase I'm bored with it. I really relate to that Peel quote "I'm more interested in the record I haven't heard yet."

How I relate to this... I am currently at somewhat of an impasse, not knowing which (micro-) genre to move onto next. So far this year, have seriously gone for Miami bass, desi, kwaito, Ethiopian funk, wyrd folk and reggaeton....but what to move onto next? Ho hum.

I guess I get a thrill out of collecting the 'key' tunes in a genre and working out the links between that genre and others. Does that make me restlessly inquisitive or a pedant?

PS re 'kontroversy' - like the nouveau spelling.

Johan

I definitely check out new music based on how cool I think it seems. But if it turns out I don't like it, I wouldn't keep listening to it. I don't think anyone would put up with music they don't like, no matter how cool it is.

And, as you point out, "music and style/coolness are so intimately bound up". Doesn't this mean that if the style attracts you, you will most likely enjoy the music too?