Various Production

treblekicker

True Faith
Apparently Warp, Skam, Rephlex, Planet Mu etc. are all chasing them. There was a website with some MP3s on but I can't remember where it is right now. I'll dig it out later when I get home.

treblekicker

True Faith
Cheers for that, I didn't actually know they had their own website (dunno why - all bands seem to these days). I remember now, I'd seen one of their tracks on this mp3 blog...

http://www.headphonesex.co.uk/2005/09/seven-inches-of-fun.html

The bloke behind it reckons it could be Milanese? Possibly - liked his mini album last year - one track, Flex was one of the most intense tracks I've heard i ages - d 'n' b in sheets of sound so thick it becomes something else entirely.

lenny

Yeah, that 7" is a split. Regardless of who's responsible for the track, it always comes out as Various Productions.

toastyghost

for all you kids interested in these mysterious guys, why not come see who they are for yourself? my housemate works for boomkat and has quite niftily managed to book them for a live set. details as follows:

cc23b.gif

sequence 2nd birthday do

18th february 06
10:00pm till 4:00am (late license applied for)
£8 advance tickets / £10 on the door

room 1: sequence
kosmik kommando dj set (rephlex, r&s)
dj cylob (rephlex, breakin')
michael forshaw - live electro set (smb, chan 'n' mikes)
ceephax acid crew live (breakin')
+ computer controlled djs & mark turner

room 2: ashocking hobby
vex'd dj set (planet mu)
various production live (various production)
andy stott - debut live set (modern love)
alpha 606 live (touchin' bass)
omen (tectonic)
+ u basstard (ploy) & the teknoist (planet mu)

the attic & thirsty scholar, oxford road, manchester
t: 0161 2366071

£8 tickets available from the thirsty scholar, taylors newsagent (fallowfield), pelicanneck, piccadilly records and eastern bloc

join our mailing list HERE
for more info on sequence: www.computercontrolled.co.uk
e-mail us: computercontrolledrecords@hotmail.com

sorry for the shameless promotion on the first post, but i personally think this is pretty big news. the other acts aren't too shabby either!

tate

Brown Sugar
toastyghost said:
room 2:
vex'd dj set (planet mu)
various production live (various production)
andy stott - debut live set (modern love)
alpha 606 live (touchin' bass)
omen (tectonic)
+ u basstard (ploy) & the teknoist (planet mu) !

well that lineup looks nice

i dropped "where i belong" into a couple of dubstep sets this fall. rmx of "i'm really hot" on the flip is good too

"hater" is nice, wish i had a copy

six releases so far, is it?

but that new tune "home edit" - wow! I want to hear more of that

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
skating over the last heresy quickly, yeh, jd alerted me to their stuff; it has a peculiar, uncanny quality. I meant to start a thread a while back asking folk here if they knew anything about them. The oddest, and most ha ha hauntological track I've heard by them is 'Queen Bee', which is this string-sumptuous Andy Williams-style croon, only very slightly glitched. It doesn't seem to be a sample so much as a barely adulterated deliberately jump-cut re-editing of the original (if indeed there IS an original, and this isn't some up-to-the minute simulation...)

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Ah, just messin there...I meant 'only better'.

Kind of regretting clicking on the link to Boomkat now though, for while the Various Production stuff is absolutely fucking fantastic (and getting me all worked up inna music geek stylee), it would have been much wiser of me to hold on to all the money that I somehow just ended up spending.

PeteUM

It's all grist
k-punk said:
skating over the last heresy quickly, yeh, jd alerted me to their stuff; it has a peculiar, uncanny quality. I meant to start a thread a while back asking folk here if they knew anything about them. The oddest, and most ha ha hauntological track I've heard by them is 'Queen Bee', which is this string-sumptuous Andy Williams-style croon, only very slightly glitched. It doesn't seem to be a sample so much as a barely adulterated deliberately jump-cut re-editing of the original (if indeed there IS an original, and this isn't some up-to-the minute simulation...)

And what about that Biker (Byker?) tune? What the hell is that all about?

tryptych

waiting for a time
I definately agree with the Junior Boys - type vibe going on. Their latest 7" is damn cool too, and they're not anyone else under a different name.

I might have to make the that trip up to Manchester.

Mike Powell

Revelatory
via Gutterbreakz, they did a DJ set on Breezeblock available <a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/dance/breezeblock/">here</a>; their portion is in the middle. I like their stuff alright, but I almost like the variety of style more than the songs unto themselves, the notion of "Various Production" as a pretense of anonymity, like a band that only makes compilations. Neat stuff though, for sure.