speedy j's "de-orbit"

dominic

Beast of Burden
picked up a copy of this the other day at A1 for $10 -- even though it was in the $3 bin

speedy j is dutch

but label is +8 -- came out in 92 -- must have been january 92, as i can recall first hearing this track

i think this is possibly the greatest detroit techno track ever

anyone agree?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Haven't thought of this tune for ages. When I first heard it I thought it was too abstract and undanceable to be proper techno, especially with the downtempo beat, but of course that's the point innit. But you get a similar but obviously superior version of this slow it down and check out the tweaks vibe on Carl Craig's Neurotic Behaviour, wouldn't you say?

Neurotic Behaviour's is very George Duke influenced as well, innit. Anyone else noticed that?

Always liked De-Orbit. Quite unusual at the time for a techno track to use downtempo breaks like that. Maybe not the greatest track ever, but still very enjoyable today.

treblekicker

True Faith
Yeah, not many people apart from Carl Craig were using breaks at the time. Personally in the same space Carl Craig's Desire (recorded as 69) trumps it but nevertheless ahead of its time.

Almost tempted to start a Detroit favorites thread. Has it gone away long enough to start a revival? :)

Last edited:
treblekicker said:
Yeah, not many people apart from Carl Craig were using breaks at the time.

A lot of the 'purist' types were avoiding breaks at that time, probably because they were so prevalent in the rave scene, which was considered mindless proletariate rubbish.

treblekicker said:
Almost tempted to start a Detroit favorites thread. Has it gone away long enough to start a revival? :)
I reckon so. Went through a little revivalist period at my blog a couple of months ago. Go ahead!

dominic said:
i think this is possibly the greatest detroit techno track ever

anyone agree?

Greatest? I dunno, but it's been one of my favourites for years. It sounds like the ocean bending up to kiss the moon or Jupiter, as all the worlds coral slam shut in surprise and then open once more to steal a glimpse.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Having given De-orbit another listen i still dont think its special. Rise is the best track on that EP by far.

And i could never see the fuss about Desire either, I always thought Microlver was a way superior track.

The breaks in both of them (Desire & De-orbit) are pretty lame by hardcore standards.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it's a great, great track. also to be found on a lot of old hardcore mix sets pitched way the fuck up, where it sounds very much like proto-jungle.

mr tom

dressed to ill
stelfox said:
i might go home and listen to ginger tonight. that record has a really warm place in my heart.

Yeah, me to, it's a real classic - the only other AI-series album I still listen to more is Bytes.

As for De-Orbit, definitely my favourite track of his ever and it would probably make it into my all-time top ten. Russ Gabriel always used to tell me it was his favourite tune of all time.

Top tip for a spine-tingling mix - De-Orbit with Kraftwerk's Muzique Non-Stop - they're in key and it's like they were always meant to be heard together. I discovered this by complete fluke at the end of the night at Club 69 once and still get goosebumps thinking about it...

labrat

hot on the heels of love
just wondering- did Fabio actally play Bug in the Bassbin at the wrong speed or is this another "rave myth"?

mms

sometimes
lovely track -
but as far as breakbeats go - i don't think the notion of breaks equals bad came from detroit - i mean everyone had breaks and did hardcore- kms uk had folk like manix and blame on them, carl craig did breaks tracks, model 500 has his hardcore label and underground resistance were breaky at times.
i think the anti break thing came from uk people trying to protect the sound they had created, some soulboy style snobbery on behalf of detroit and general underground snobbery as more and more people that previously thought dance music was shit got into e and raving.

i listened to an interview off an old tape of colin dales abstract dance about a year ago and there were all these massive strange london based allegiances to different sounds and memes, it was really very strange, all this micro infighting over labels and purisim, nothing changes eh?

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I don't know about Fabio, I read about the "bug in the bassbin" thing in an interview with Goldie. I don't see why not, there was a lot of stuff that was played at 45 to fit into hardcore sets. See also Todd Terry - This Could be Mine for another proto-jungle tune from an unlikely source.

The Mo Wax reissue of Bug in the Bassbin (from 1996) has a "Peshay Bonus Beats" track which is just the main breakbeat as it would sound at 45 only pressed at 33.