Achewood

tryptych

waiting for a time
www.achewood.com

In my humble opinion, the best online comic strip, and one of the funniest, way out but strangely touching bits of "literature" on the internet. It's about a bunch of cats and stuffed animals who lead secret parallel lives to humans...

There must be some fellow fans out there... it can be a little difficult to get into for the new comer, I suggest going to the archive and reading bits from the beginning, or following a story arc.

The back story is even more developed by the "blogs" for all the main characters, including the author, which merit reading in their own right.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
This gets better and better the more I immerse myself. Cheers, spackboy.

I checked the comic out after the guy who does Dinosaur Comics linked to it, but didn't find it so funny first time around.

Is it worth starting a webcomics thread? A lot of the serial type ones are pretty shit, but I find some of the more absurd ones really entertaining.

Last edited:

tryptych

waiting for a time
yeah, achewood is deep once you scratch the surface. Some of the story arcs are incredibly wierd, hilarious and poignant. and once you get onto the blogs... Ray's entry on "the rockstar died at 27" party is one of the recent gems.

sherief

Generic Human
I've been an achewood fan for a while now. It is so unbelievably good. The GOF was hella epic, and the fact that Onstad does blogs for all his characters is the extra step that pushes it far beyond anything else I've ever read.

tryptych

waiting for a time
sherief said:
I've been an achewood fan for a while now. It is so unbelievably good. The GOF was hella epic, and the fact that Onstad does blogs for all his characters is the extra step that pushes it far beyond anything else I've ever read.

Hella epic is true... the strip where Ray is knocking back the Christian Brother's and wondering if Roast Beef is "that much of my dogg" to take a beating is just amazing. The surreal pathos of the strip is incredible.

I think my all time fave moment is at the end of the Philipe kidnap story when Roast Beef drops the line about "if Tori Amos was here right now she'd get so many hugs from me". Although I have some favourite blog moments too...

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Achewood is my favourite "thing" of the past decade. It's hard not to see an online comic as being implicitly disposable. A comic, online. But for me it just trumps every recent book, record, and film I can bring to mind.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, better comic (as in funny) writing than any TV show or movie I've seen in the last decade, I'd say.

I loved the thing, ranted obsessively at friends etc. for years, but stopped reading about 6 months ago. Just got less and less frequent and when a new strip arrived I didn't find it very funny. I may well go back and catch up at some point, but pretty happy with the fond memories right now.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
The arc with Roast Beef developing greeting cards is one of my fave things ever.

"How sick is it to get a card from a dude? Sick as hell."