question for ukg experts

dominic

Beast of Burden
is anyone here familiar with the garage output of gavin mills aka dj face?

he was one-half of psychotropic = probably my all-time favorite rave act, if i had to choose just one

(proviso = this is treating shut up and dance as a production team, not an act -- is this a convincing distinction???? -- okay, i got ahead of myself, shut up and dance are of course peerless = all-time rave maestros -- which means psychotropic are like the best of the rest)

but the other day i picked up a copy, after barely listening, of this uk garage record by him under the banana republic moniker called "you can't go wrong" -- and this has proven to be really crap, in my opinion -- even at $3 a very poor purchase -- and a grim reminder of how crap garage/house had become by 1994

even so, i find it hard to believe that somebody who had made such brilliant records could suddenly go so wrong = you can go wrong???

however, i ask about his garage output b/c i'm trying to move into that area of second-hand record acquisition = uk garage 94 through 00

in fact, i wouldn't mind seeing people's opinions (i.e., i'd be very grateful for tips about which labels to watch out for!) about the best ukg records for the second half of the 90s, including 2-step records

i'm also looking to move into the "darker end" of broken beats in terms of second-hand acquisition

[many people on dissensus are forward-looking tastemakers -- but i fall into the strictly retrospective camp]

btw i also picked up a copy of psychotropic's "back from the dead" ep the other day = not bad -- but more on the 9 am vibe, kinda ambient, kinda idm almost

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
Logan Sama said:
Gavin Mills engineered some of the greatest "UK Garage" records ever made between 1995 and 2001

that's what i had expected!

but then "you can't go wrong" proved so disappointing

so he did "engineering" work for others as well as "production" work on his own stuff???

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
1995 "uk garage" was pretty much piss poor looped up or robbed US House and Gaage copies for the main part.

He engineered stuff for Tuff Jam and some stuff from Dreem Team

Tim F

Mis-Teeq - Why (Matt Jam Lamont & DJ Face Mix) - pop classic!

Also there's a great version of Frances James & DJ Face's "Girls Play Too" but I can't remember which - also that's from 2001 so maybe outside your sphere of interest dominic.

dominic

Beast of Burden
Tim F said:
from 2001 so maybe outside your sphere of interest dominic.

ha ha

i merely meant that i want to "update" my record collection slightly -- get outta the early 90s ghetto -- diversify -- mainly b/c the $1 bin at sattelite is heavy on late 90s stuff -- i.e., i'm suddenly in the mood for serious crate digging after taking several months off

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
in any case, thanks for the tips tim

and also logan -- though i already kinda know tuff jam and dream team -- i.e., i know the names, not the sounds per se

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
www.htfr.co.uk

Many sound clips on there.

Do not under any circumstances buy from them though.

He was uncredited on a lot of the releases cos they were just promos or white labels. He engineered a lot of big hits in the early boom period of UK Garage.

Last edited:

Badmarsh

gavin mills did a wicked mix cd back in 1998 - check that out for some proper ukg bumpy early style beats - slick sounding stuff - although as is with any ukg dj bar ez the mixing was utter pants.

For the blueprint sound - search Todd Edwards, 95 North, Jazz N Groove, MK, MAW etc...US flava's bumped up with more UK tuffness. And then further down the line when the UK started producing its own sounds - TuffJam, Dem2, Grant Nelson etc etc.

Back in the day - when the sound was in its prime it was awesome...well dressed people, into soulful, funky styles! When UKG started getting popular fast then the "chancers" i.e. producers with little talent tried a thing and make a fast buck...culminating in a snowballing effect in the UK G production scene.

Thank GOd for El B, Horsepower, Oris, Qualifide, MJ Cole, Zed Bias etc - who kept the standards up!

outraygeous

off the dome,

didnt he do alot of work at catch records? and maybe fifty first. i maybe thinkin of someone else thou

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
He was one of the two owners of Catch which he ran from his house in Middlesex back in the day. The other was Brian "Keys" Tharme who also worked with Nathan Lockett under the name "Baffled" and put out some of the most important and brilliant early garage tunes. Then sometimes they would all join up like in Power Rangers to form "A Baffled Republic", and then with Tuffjam to form "Tuffjam Republic"...

On Catch dig for:

Tuffjma Republic - Just Gets Better With Time
Baffled Republic - Bad Boys Move In Silence/I Wanna Ho
" " - Bad Boys RMX
Banana Republic - Catch The Feeling (with tuffjam rmx on the flip)
" " - Just A Feeling
The Dalkeith Crew feat Memhet Huessain (aka Memzee) - The Ride (if anyone can tell me who they were and why they were called that, I'll send em my copy)

Also on Catch was what was possibly the first UK garage record with an MC on it, a tune called "Easy" by Nuff People. It wasn't much cop though.

Gavin also signed an amazing tune called "Time" by a group called Smokecreen, it did 300 promos in 1997, was signed to Catch but never came out. But Gavin did do 100 promos, the Banana Republic mix is good but the original is amazing. That should have gone the distance.

As Logan rightly pointed out, he wasn't credited for a lot of the stuff he did in the early days like Dreem Teem Theme etc. He now does some pretty good house under the name Coffee Kids, if you like that sort of thing...

bassnation

the abyss
Logan Sama said:
www.htfr.co.uk
Do not under any circumstances buy from them though.

seconded. i once paid 15 quid for what i thought was the original of jonny L's "hurt you so" only to find they'd sent me their own repress with a novelty tune by another artist ("jungle bells" anyone?) on the flip.

rip off merchants.

gumdrops

ive ordered a couple of things from HTFR, not had any problems. maybe cos they were more recent records (some dumpvalve stuff), but nothing like a complete fake turning up...

Mr H

MATT MAson said:
The Dalkeith Crew feat Memhet Huessain (aka Memzee) - The Ride (if anyone can tell me who they were and why they were called that, I'll send em my copy)

they came from just outside Edinburgh??