the roots on saturday

luka

no one likes the roots. except me!
see you there
excpet, i won't, cos you're too hip to come!

B

be.jazz

I'm a ridiculously big fan. They're coming here on the 15th of December, but 28 euros is a bit steep for me... I've seen them 5 times already, though.

luka

even commons good, he just went a bit soft in a head temporarily. his second albums a classic and my guess is his new one will be good cos his recent guest verses on why, jesus walks etc have been really good. hes good on talib kwelis album too.

craner

Beast of Burden
a new erykah badu song called 'back in the day' is really good. "puff!" I like that one.

owen

she is generally pretty good, on record. but for god's sake don't see her live- the most tedious two hours of my life were spent in her company at the brixton academy in 2002...
'please erykah, tell us again in great detail about you and jesus...'

DavidD

can't be stopped
The Roots, simultaneously over and underrated but yeah they have some classic songs and are ALWAYS hot live, if the price is right.

"Silent Treatment" is an all-time classic.

as for Common - 2nd album's a classic and 3 and 4 are fucking great as well.

Erykah Badu....whatever.

B

be.jazz

Turns out I'll be going as a birthday present.

"Silent Treatment"... I've never really liked that song, even though I really like most of DYWM. I think it's the awful singing. The one song I think really sucks is "Hypnotic" (the bass line, ugh) on IH. I even bought the Men in Black OST 2nd-hand to get "The 'Notic", which is the infinitely superior version.

I'm relatively happy with the turn the last two albums have taken, though I could see them becoming a band in search of a purpose... (maybe others already believe this to be the case?)

B

be.jazz

Did anyone else go see them? The concert here was so good (if unnecessarily loud) that I felt like apologising for ever lending an ear to the doubters. No Scratch, though.

bassnation

the abyss
luka said:
no one likes the roots. except me!
see you there
excpet, i won't, cos you're too hip to come!

you'd be suprised!

i love that roots album - but mostly for "the web" and "boom" - riding over ruff rhythms, can't be beaten! btw, just working on a new mix featuring hip hop, miami bass and electro with some roots tracks on. should be ready early in the new year!