Young Dot EP

Woebot

Don't tend to buy Riddims in Grime (except a few choice Wiley, TD and Danny Weed ones I've picked up over the past few years) but Silverdollar's enthusisasm for this demanded I check it out.

And he's right its great. Full of fascinating detail, exquisitely polished yet poundingly brutal. Its a real "stand-alone" Grime riddim. I imagine the Grimm bods must love it.....

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I haven't got this yet, although I absolutely will, but that track that seems almost entirely made from voice-samples is totally [mouth] rinsing.

3underscore said:
Yeah. Sounds like it - one of the reasons I didn't pick it up. Beats sound so cheap on it.

I jus have to say that this isn't FL's fault....Young Dot is obviously still learning....

you like Ruff Sqwad right? well all their stuff is done on FL Studio.....well probably cracked copies but still you know what I mean...aswell as JME, Skepta, nuff of Beat Camp especially Dexplicit....all probably using cracked versions but you get me anyway....don't blame the tools...........

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Bon Jovi albums were made on hundreds of thousands of pounds of studio hardware. they still sound shit though.

a classic producer misconception is that expensive technology makes good music (or conversely that cheap equipment makes poor music).

Woebot

Blackdown said:
Bon Jovi albums were made on hundreds of thousands of pounds of studio hardware. they still sound shit though.

a classic producer misconception is that expensive technology makes good music (or conversely that cheap equipment makes poor music).

i couldnt agree more. i think that record sounds fantastic, and (for what its worth) i've been buying music for twenty years.

it appears like "the producers ear", thats to say being able to identify the synth/software/instrument/mixing desk might be a serious handicap (not dissing you Tactics, i mean, you may not like the record, fullstop!)

lee perry's stuff: masses of feedback and a bottom of the range mixing desk
holger czukay and can: four track mixing desk
dizzy rascal's "i wuv you": a sony playstation (wasnt it?)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
WOEBOT said:
dizzy rascal's "i wuv you": a sony playstation (wasnt it?)

no i'm pretty sure it wasn't and i wish people would stop saying this, it reeks of patronizing class snobbery (not having a go Woe, it's certain other style journalists who are the key perpetrators of this. the Roll Deep studio in Burmondsey had a massive digital desk and vocal booth).

Even before that Dizzee was using Cubase at school, so why would he bother with Playstation? Furthermore it has a full vocal. how many playstations do you know can record full vocal audio?

3underscore

Matt - it was more myself that didn't get the Young Dot - I kind of liked it, but didn't pick it up. To put it in context - at the time I was shopping and chatting with Youngsta, I went through about 5/6 dubstep tunes (including the newer DMZ at the time). In comparison, the drums on the Young Dot sounded so light and poppy it didn't work for me. I liked a whole lot of what was going on in the tune, but with a bigger drum sound it would have worked so much better for me.

I will go and listen to it again, and probably buy it (I have done this with countless other tunes when I didn't quite feel the mood the first time). It is more I look forward to future releases by Young Dot, hopefully when he gets a fuller drum sound. I will definitely never listen to it next to DMZ again, as DMZ have such a developed drum sound, I guess they are incomparable.

edit - as for what it was produced on, it doesn't matter at all to me. I just felt like a bit of tactics baiting knowing he is a FL freak.

Woebot

3underscore said:
edit - as for what it was produced on, it doesn't matter at all to me. I just felt like a bit of tactics baiting knowing he is a FL freak.

:) lol

Woebot

Blackdown said:
no i'm pretty sure it wasn't and i wish people would stop saying this, it reeks of patronizing class snobbery (not having a go Woe, it's certain other style journalists who are the key perpetrators of this. the Roll Deep studio in Burmondsey had a massive digital desk and vocal booth).

Even before that Dizzee was using Cubase at school, so why would he bother with Playstation? Furthermore it has a full vocal. how many playstations do you know can record full vocal audio?

ouch! :)

though hang on Blackdown, you're actually fucking with your own argument here! class snobbery! i thought you were saying there was nothing wrong with whatever platform people chose to produce their tracks on?

sure as the sun is in the sky there are grime tracks produced on the playstation....and peronally i dont have the slightest problem with that.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah i know, there's a hole in my argument.

i do believe however that it doesn't matter what you use to make music, it's about ideas. but when style journalists revel in the fact that dizzee 'uses a playstation' (which he doesn't) it smacks of the fact that they've assumed he's too stupid/uneducated to use anything else.

owen

yeah sure but paucity of equipment generally can cause very interesting music- imposed limits necessitating creativity and stuff (lee perry v good example)

funnily enough rapid/ruff sqwad generally are by a furlong my favourite grime producers at the mo precisely because of that cheap/nasty/electro sound, and its contrast with/fuelling of their vaulting ambitiousness

Mr H

Blackdown said:
yeah i know, there's a hole in my argument.

i do believe however that it doesn't matter what you use to make music, it's about ideas. but when style journalists revel in the fact that dizzee 'uses a playstation' (which he doesn't) it smacks of the fact that they've assumed he's too stupid/uneducated to use anything else.

isn't it more about journalists picking up on the playstation generation thing which dizzee mentioned when he picked up the Mercury Prize?? can't imagine anyone thinking that dizzee was daft ('i'm articulate / I'm not an idiot') although i suppose getting stabbed in napa wasn't a great idea..