Grime State

Woebot

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/reviews/story/0,13875,1347746,00.html

Dunno if you missed the above, Simon's cool review of "Run The Road" for The Observer. I reviewed the compilation for FACT, should be coming out sometime soonish. We (at FACT) have also done a 4-part study of some of the names of the scene, we've done likkle spots with Wiley, Terrah Danjah, Danny Weed, Target and Plasticman. I didnt do the interviews I just said who I thought theyd be good talking to, though i've penned the intro for the piece. Look out for it.

Its an exciting time believe. Rather frustratingly (Logan Sama you bastard!) there are great tunes out there which dont look like they'll see a release this year:

• Bruza's "Can You Feel The Rush" (Aftershock?)
• Trim's "Bad Boy Trim" (Aim High?)
• Dogzilla's "I Want Out" (Shot City Records?)
• Dogzilla's "Neverending Story" (Aim High?)
• Riko {the discoey one off Creeper Volume 2}
• Roll Deep's "Shake A Leg"

ALL THESE TRACKS are the measure of anything that's come out of the scene to date. Seriously that good. However there are some hot tracks that have hit the shops, most interesting of which is on a new label called "Unknown Genius" its a Dizzy Rasklat tune, but the beat he's riding is some hypercellerated shattered maracas Todd Edwards bizniss, he's chopped his voice up like crazy, "Dizzy, Dirt Skank, Dirt, Dirt, Dirt, Dirtee" I guess it's a post-Babycyakes thing, like TD's rabbit-out-of-its-skin nu-RnB an attempt to figure a way out of the looming Grime impasse.

Yeah an impasse. The thing is if this was American Hip-Hop you could expect Grime to fall into a decade-long holding pattern, a purple-patch of creative abundance (kind of like the stretch between De La Soul is Dead and Mobb Deep's The Infamous) but with Grime I wonder whether that will happen. Part of me hopes that we get such a stability, but you know the Pirate-Radio-Party feedback-loop is so nervous, so restless that I just dont see it happening. I guess it's possible Grime gets sealed in a bubble, much like Jungle has done, though much more profitably, while the grassroots scene wanders off. If artists like Dizzy and TD can keep ringing the changes then hey there'll be no trouble, but if theyre outmuscled by those who attempt to consolidate their power base, try and freeze up the evolution, lock out the youngsters, then Grime'll be in trouble.

Also good this week P's and Q's is out (again, blink and you would have missed it on white label), Wiley's "Colder" with it's gun-cock hook and Slew Dem Production 16-Bar.

C

captain easychord

yeah the scene is looking good these days. there are a lot more proper vocal tracks coming out. the production is getting more hi-fi in an excellent way (thinking of terrah danjah here...) raw blaze is back on, rinse is hosting some good shows. the only problem seems to be that all of the parties are getting broken up / not booked at all due to violence, or the looming threat of violence...

Woebot

boomnoise said:
Where can i get hold of a copy of FACT? I'm in London - where should i be looking out for it??

its free in loads of record stores. but dont let that put you off. its reet classy.

Woebot

WOEBOT said:
most interesting of which is on a new label called "Unknown Genius" its a Dizzy Rasklat tune, but the beat he's riding is some hypercellerated shattered maracas Todd Edwards bizniss, he's chopped his voice up like crazy, "Dizzy, Dirt Skank, Dirt, Dirt, Dirt, Dirtee" I guess it's a post-Babycyakes thing, like TD's rabbit-out-of-its-skin nu-RnB an attempt to figure a way out of the looming Grime impasse.

wondering if anyone has any thoughts re:the lack of danceable grime. thats what the aftershock nu-rnb and the rasklat track are experimenting with really. damn i miss dancing.

ambrose

dont really have any thoughts, cos i am dumb, but i am waiting for it to get more dancy. i would liek the tempo to go up a bit to get more dancy, rather than the other route of slowing down to obvious hip hop speeds.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Lack of danceable grime?! Get Me, Hype Hype, these are some of the most danceable tunes of the last few years! Just thinking about them gets me jigging in my chair.

Possibly the problem isn't lack of danceable tunes- it's that dancing is frowned upon, it's a bit girly, not tuff-e-nuff.

appleblim

agree with derek here....it all makes me move!

i've had the piss taken out of me at many diffrent raves for gettin down early in the night when everyones still standing around lookin moody...i deffo think theres a "if yr dancin without a girl to dance behind.for the benefit of u must be gay" kinda thing goin on.......it don't stop me tho! i don't give a shit, and i s'pose its each to thier own but for me its rave music...therefore rave to it!

appleblim

well excited about the pieces comin up from man like woebot, and i fully missed the observer piece....top one!

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
To go back the original post- why the impasse (gr-impasse?), how to solve it? I reckon there are two economic issues which would need to sorted to producers making more money from the game-

Usability. We need more CD compilations and DVDs, products which join the dots between the big tunes and the big names. Especially as it's rather more difficult to just stick on a peer to peer network.

Immediacy. We need products (ahem) that get closer to grime as an MC driven phenomenon. The mixtape format or perhaps even better the one-rhythm album. I know I'd buy a CD with Essentials, SLK, Lethal B, Crazy T and Dizzee Rascal doing back to back chat on Da Vinchee's Ps and Qs rhythm, say.

Also good this week ... Wiley's "Colder"

I'm confused about which track this is, as I thought Colder was the one with the extended Lethal B diss ("I was going 'pow!' in 2001..."). If it is that one, yeah it's great. If it's not, it's still probably great. How does Wiley find the time eh?

luka

on practice hours titch says
'mixtapes is whats really beating on the street'
so i guess if thats whats selling thats what you/ll see more of. mixtapes are definietely the way to go, clever djs with right contacts should start carving out a niche for themselves. who wants to be the uks doo wop?!

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I mostly find vocal tunes at 12”s as a paler version of what I hear on the radio. Hearing an mc spit live bars riding a dj set, boyed up by their crews the real deal for grime, the records (though I buy many) never seem to live up to this. The problem is, the home entertainment on offer at present doesn’t really have the means to transfer this experience to the individual, yes there’s radio, but not one that helps the scene along in a commercial sense
…. surely it won’t be long before we have pay-per-view crew battles

luka

Riko-me love that

'black playstation 2
me say me love that
pro evolution 3
me say me love that
rocky 4, halloween 5
say i love that'

this track is so big. theres another one i heard, rikos spurned lover song, thats big as well.
nangle.

originaldrum

from start till done
luka said:

lol!

but back to the danceability of grime , i always thought grime was more "brocky" than "dancey", this being one of the core competancies keeping it raw

Mix CDs would be much better than mixtapes for capturing the pirate radio experience. Not like the Jammer mix, but like The Nasty Show, mixed with live vocals. (and rewinds would be cool) Why aren't more being released? Isn't there a market for them?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Logan Sama Bonus Cd volume 2. In Uptown and Rhythm, and on all discerning forums, for free before xmas.

Don't say I'm not nice.