Serious questions for Americans

martin

----
I've recently discovered that my Irish grandfather obtained US citizenship in the 1920s. Really surreal black and white photo of him posing in a suit and cowboy hat. Anyway, I wonder, does this make me elegible for US citizenship too? Any info would be much appreciated.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Q. My daughter has lived all her life in France and cannot give American citizenship to her children. Is there any way they can become American through their grandparents?
Yes. When American citizens cannot transmit citizenship to their children born overseas because they do not have the required physical presence in the United States, they have two options:

1. They can apply for the expeditious naturalization of their children, if an American citizen grandparent has enough physical presence in the United States. This procedure must be done through the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service. The process takes longer (up to 3 years) and the child must go to the United States to be naturalized, but the end result is that the child receives a Certificate of U.S. Citizenship and is an American citizen. The process must be completed before the child is eighteen.
2. The U.S. citizen parent may file for an immigrant visa for the child. Under the Child Citizenship Act, once the child enters the U.S. on an immigrant visa, the child automatically becomes a U.S. citizen. The child must be under 18 and in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent at the time of entry. Immigrant visas may be obtained through the Embassy in Paris. The immigrant visa process usually takes no more than 6 months.

http://www.amb-usa.fr/consul/acs/passports/faq.htm