sugarbabes

boomnoise

♫
another one of those dissensus pop injection threads. what do people think? for me they are part of the current pop elite; faultless singles, an ability to reappropriate past pop greatness and ultimately sounding worlds more inventive than the majority of pop acts.

the new album is solid. an excellent cover version of animotion's 'obsession'. plus a pop sound that is comfortingly familiar yet ultra fresh. for me they continue the nonchalant pop of girls aloud; push the button is so lazy and apathetic, yet it drives on, repetitive and addictive! it's if you want me, i'm here, just tell me. not that i'm really that bothered. standoffish, on the back foot lust. love it!

anyone know if richard x is still producing for them? if not who is? it's really working. someone from work thinks i only like girl pop acts because i find them sexually desirable; i maintain that it's all about the music.

worrior

I agree, remember laughing at my little sis years ago when she was eagerly telling me about a band called the Sugababes playing at her school, but they're more than another teen band fad. Their greatest hits is going to be right up there. My fave is Situations Heavy from the Three album. I've only heard Push the Button twice and it's permanently stuck in my head (in a good way). Is Brian Higgins anything to do with it?

S

simon silverdollar

sugababes are the best british band of the past decade.

AshRa

I've got a white label called "One Touch Remix Promo" which is the best piece of electronic soul i've heard in my life. I don't know how different it is to the original, but if they only ever did one thing, they'd go down as legends anyway in my book!

Fiddy

new albums mainly dallas austin I think?!
I still love the live version of Lush Life from 1st album. big tune.

Tim F

Agree about "Situation's Heavy", an awesome and largely unheralded tune that one. I'm in the minority of having liked their last album <i>Three</i> more than the two prior. Strangely picked up on a sort of post-trip hop balladic vibe, and more strangely pulled it off with flying colours. Writing/Production mostly done by Xenomania on that one, but I think Guy Sigsworth was also involved.

W/R/T the new one, I've only heard "Push The Button" so far, but hold out high hopes (even though they've apparently largely abandoned Xenomania).

mms

sometimes
on an anecdotal tangent

a friend of mine won a competition to come and have them play at his house once
it was odd though as at the time he was working as Jimmy page's live in odd job man, a job he'd picked up as he morred his boat alongside page's house and his wife asked him if he could help with a few things which eventually led to permanently living there.
he moved out before they played though, which is a shame,he said they were lovely though.

boomnoise

&#9835;
And it's good! It works so well for them. Pitched just right, it will be another case of peole thinking its their own rather than a cover. Has to be a single.