jamaican jungle?

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
I was under teh impression that in jamaica itself jungle never took off.. that it was appreciated but not played so much... but in my recent lot of 7"s on the back of some remixs on the city dawgs label.. was this

http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=26FC9ISG27K3P2HZW1RFD48D6C

ID? thoughts?

the runout groove (all 3 milimetres of it - this track is pushing the limits of what can fit on 7"!) reads "chacha remix - jungle"

DonRuba

Stocktown man
I got a 7inch with a tune that could be considered a part of this obscure genre, "Slam Good" with Cobra. It's not exactly jungle, but it's definitely influenced by it. The beat just consists of a speeded up breakbeat loop repeated over and over again. Not very refined maybe, but still kinda junglistic...

D

droid

minikomi said:
Thats a version of the 'baba-boom' riddim, big in the 90's with slackness anthems like 'shine and criss' by Shabba, and 'hunt and seek' by Mad Cobra. The horns have been sampled a few times in UK jungle tracks... you can hear the original riddim here.

Do those reel to reel produced Greensleeves jungle remixes from the mid-90s count as JA jungle? Their remix of Bounty's 'down inna the ghetto' is pure shambling crackhouse stuff... nasty production and really badly cut up breaks.

Heres something interesting. Dave Kelly doing techstep. Mixes well with a bit of 31 records or Ed Rush...

gabriel

The Heatwave
droid said:
Do those reel to reel produced Greensleeves jungle remixes from the mid-90s count as JA jungle?

no, cos aren't they all made by uk producers?

what's weird about the bababoom jungle version is that it's on a load of 7"s pressed in jamaica. doesn't necessarily mean it was produced there, though, i guess. whoever makes those bootleg 7s seems to just use whatever master plate is nearest to them to whack on the b side!

droid - thanks for the link to the dave kelly tune; do you have any more info on that?

D

droid

xiquet said:
no, cos aren't they all made by uk producers?

Not sure. i thought 'John reel to reel' Amyer was jamican, but i think Im mistaken. Found a list of greensleeves jungle mixes (most of which are shit btw):

GREENSLEEVES JUNGLE

GRED 5001 Barrington Levy & Beenie Man - Under Mi Sensi (Jungle Spliff) X Project Remix // Barrington Levy & Beenie Man - Jungle Dub X Project Remix
Remixed by Rebel MC for Tribe Isacchar Productions
Original Production by Jah Screw (1982)

GRED 5002 Bounty Killer - Down In The Ghetto (Reel II Reel Jungle Mix) // Bounty Killer - Down In The Ghetto (Stringin' It Together)
Remixed by John 'Reel II Reel' Aymer for British Jungle Standard at the Music Factor
Original Production by King Jammy

GRED 5003 Ninjaman, Bounty Killer, Beenie Man & Ninja Ford - Bad Boy Lick A New Shot (Jungle Bullet) // Bounty Killer, Beenie Man, Ninjaman, Ninja Ford - People Dead (Jungle Dub)
Remixed by DJ Monk for KLP Productions

GRED 5004 Redrose & Rebel - Gun Talk (Jungle Dark Lick) // Redrose & Rebel - Gun Talk (Original Dub-Plate Lick)
Remixed by Michael King, Levi Santelli & Curtis Ingram for Brotherhood
Original Production: M. Bennett & P Lindsay A Two Friends Production

GRED 5005 Dawn Penn & Bounty Killer - You Don't Love Me (No No No) (Ambient Jungle Lick) // Dawn Penn & Bounty Killer - You Don't Love Me (No No No) (Reel II Reel Junglist Lick)
Remixed by John 'Reel II Reel' Aymer & Disk Man for British Jungle Standard at the Music Factor at Dream II Dream Studios
Original Production: King Jammy

GRED 5006 Cowboy Ranger - Gangster Jungle // Cowboy Ranger - Gangster Don't Joke (Drum & Bass)
Produced & arranged by "The Sensi Crew"

GRED 5007 Redrose - Jungle Tempo // Redrose - Hotter Junglematical Style (Drum & Bass)
Produced by DJ Monk for K.L.P. Productions

GRED 5008 Josey Wales, Beenie Man & Ini Kamoze - Jungle & Western Cowboy Style // Josey Wales, Beenie Man & Ini Kamoze - Build Me 3 Coffins
Remixed by New Blood Crew
Original Productions by King Jammy, Redrose & Malvo and Ini Kamoze

GRED 5009 Admiral Bailey & Mad Cobra - Jungle Punanny // Admiral Bailey & Mad Cobra - Skin Out (Drum & Bass)
Remixed by DJ Monk for KLP Productions
Original Production by King Jammy / Redrose & Malvo

GRED 5010 Bounty Killer - Dead This Time (Jungle Payback) // Bounty Killer - New Blood Spilt (Drum & Bass)
Produced by New Blood Crew

GRED 5011 Bounty Killer & Beenie Man - Borderline Mobster // Bounty Killer & Beenie Man - Borderline Mobster Drum & Bass
Produced & arranged by "The Sensi Crew"

GRED 5012 Action Man featuring Admiral Bailey & Frankie Paul - Jump Up (Sleeping Lion '95) // Action Man featuring Admiral Bailey & Frankie Paul - Jump Up Drum & Bass
Produced by "Ridley Don"

GRED 5013 Barrington Levy & Beenie Man - Two Sound Jungle // Barrington Levy & Beenie Man - Jungle Sounds Drum 'n' Bass
Remixed by Tom & Jerry
Original Production by Jah Screw A Time One Production

GRED 5014 Bounty Killer - See You No More (2004) Jungle // Bounty Killer - How The West Was Won Jungle
Remixed by DJ Monk

GRED 5015 Chakademus & Pliers - Gal Wine Junglist Grind // Chakademus & Pliers - Gal Grind Drum 'n' Bass
Remixed by XTC Nottingham

GRED 5016 Michael Prophet & Beenie Man - Gun 'n' Bass (Headshot) // Michael Prophet & Beenie Man - Gunman (Junglist Ricochet)
Remixed by Ridley Don
Original Production by Henry 'Junjo' Lawes

GRED 5017 Barrington Levy - Here I Come (Jungle) // Barrinton Levy - Here I Come Drum 'n' Bass
Remixed by Ridley Don

GRED 5017R XTC & DJ Keen Nothingham - Here I Come G-Funk Remix // XTC & DJ Keen Nothingham - Reload And Come Again
Vocals: Barrington Levy

GRED 5018 Ridley Don - The Terrestrial // Ridley Don - Extra Terrestrial
Mixed by "Ridley Don" for ELM Production
1995​

The remixers that i know of are all indeed UK producers. 'Monk' from 'Tasmin and Monk' on Whitehouse fame. Tom and Jerry AKA 4 hero. John Aymer is supposedly the brother of Cool Hand Flex, and we all know who Rebel MC is... the worst of all these mixes are from Ridley Don/New Blood crew/Sensi crew, none of which have any jungle cachet afaik...

what's weird about the bababoom jungle version is that it's on a load of 7"s pressed in jamaica. doesn't necessarily mean it was produced there, though, i guess. whoever makes those bootleg 7s seems to just use whatever master plate is nearest to them to whack on the b side!

Good point... in theory it could be very cheap to get your tunes pressed in JA

droid - thanks for the link to the dave kelly tune; do you have any more info on that?

I know it from a reggae hits compilation, and the wayne wonder/Bounty Killer tune on it 'criss pack of boots'. try a search on the site I linked to for 'Backyard' riddim and it should point you in the right direction of some more verisons.

DonRuba

Stocktown man
Yeah, the Backyard riddim! Had forgotten about that That's in the same vein as the Cobra tune I mentioned, Not really jungle but still based on a fast breakbeat.

I remember Baby Cham's "Boom Tune" being the version I liked best on Backyard.

Clubberlang

Rebel MC is Congo Natty/Michael West/et all. I like the New Blood/Ridley Don mixes, in fact, "Build Me 3 Coffins" is probably my favorite of all these mixes and the Jungle version of "Here I Come" is quite good. I don't think any of the remixers is Jamaican either way.

There is a Steely & Cleevie riddim which was pretty jungl-ish. I can't remember what it was called but the big tune was a Ninjaman one. Other than that and Backyard though I've always gotten the impression that Jamaica didn't truck much with jungle.

gabriel

The Heatwave
oh it's the backyard riddim, didn't realise that (can't listen at work) - thought it was gonna be some new, off the wall kelly production (he's remixed mia and jentina recently after all - obviously capable of anything! lol)

i love that riddim, the bounty/wonder, cham and alias tunes are all wicked on it. frisco kid's cut is good too. kelly's dugu dugu riddim (e.g. beenie man - new suzuki) is similar in style too though a little less jungly.

other jamaican jungle-ish riddims include shockwave (has that big jungle bass in it) and the takeover, from 2003 and 2004 respectively.

Last edited:

boosted

Lee Perry put out a few CDs in the mid '90s remixed by The Mad Professor, Dougie Digital, and Juggler that had his twisted interpretation of Jungle on it. Super Ape Inna Jungle was the one I saw most around the shops. Can't say it was that great, but at least an interesting experiment.

D

droid

Nearly forgot about the 'Matrix' riddim from 99. Its another weird steppy thing, with a crazy roll out at the end of every 8. Cant remember who produced it, but the tunes I recall on it are 'jailbreak' by sizzla and 'string them up' by Capleton...

Ill try and find a clip or encode a 7 (if I can find one)

ripley

I have a Lady Saw 7" from quite a while ago that has sort of a dubby jungle riddim under it.
"Oh Yeah" maybe?
or "strange feeling?" I can't remember, and I'm in a library so I can't listen!

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
tabla was kinda jungle-ish, as is indian summer (especailly the "drums and bass" edit of sizzlas cut) & ice cube this year....

this actual jungle track (actual drum edits) is on a number of jamaican 7"s though.. cha cha remix - jungle in the runout groove. google sez that city dawgs released an elephant man track called "cha cha remix"... anyone got this track? is it on the backyard riddim without the jungle edits?

ELEPHANT MAN - Cha Cha Remix (City Dawgs 7")