best pop song of the summer?

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date
S

simon silverdollar

with summer now over, in britain at least, let's reminisce about the songs that got us through that magical time.
what are yr favourites? what songs do you think will make you think of the summer of 2005 in years to come?

my nominees:
mariah carey, we belong together
gwen stefani, cool.

Dubquixote

Submariner
50 Cent w/ Mobb Deep - Outta Control
Amerie - 1 Thing
Yin Yang Twins - Whisper Track
Mike Jones - Back Then
Damian Marley - Jamrock
Rihanna - Pon de Replay
I-Wayne - Can't Satisfy Her
Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl

petergunn

plywood violin
it was a bit of a dry summer...

jamrock is in there somewhere...

my fav "popular" song over the summer was "stay high" by Three 6 Mafia, but i don't know actually how popular it was...

petergunn

plywood violin
HMGovt said:
I don't get this track. What makes it more than bog standard reggae?

1 thing for the fucked up percussion. Reminds me of destiny's child circa Jumpin'.

what makes "get up stand up" better than any song by max romeo?

nothing really... just a little more polish, a good vocal hook (that's understandable to non-patois speakers), and some marketing...

atomly

atomiq one
Missy Elliott - "Lose Control"
Amerie - "One Thing"
Mike Jones - "Still Tippin"
Kanye West - "Gold Digger"
Ying Yang Twins - "Wait (Whisper Song" and "Badd"

tate

Brown Sugar
Surprised no one's mentioned Teairra Marie's "Make Her Feel Good."

Though obv not pop, Seba & Paradox ft. Robert Manos' "Last Goodbye" was a gorgeous tune this summer. Elegant vocal performance, tasteful production, beautiful snares, etc

dHarry

Rihanna - Pon The Replay

but the real song of this summer (in the real world of prefab kapitalism):

James Blunt - Beautiful

- inescapable, ubiquitous, vomitous...

DavidD

can't be stopped
atomly said:
Missy Elliott - "Lose Control"
Amerie - "One Thing"
Mike Jones - "Still Tippin"
Kanye West - "Gold Digger"
Ying Yang Twins - "Wait (Whisper Song" and "Badd"

Heyyyy I know your friend Adam D. from the internet. I too am from Chicago. I saw you spin at ... tini martini? something like that. Some place on milwaukee near Western.

struggling to think of songs people didn't mention...I'm not sure when T.I.'s "ASAP" peaked but that was a great track. There's the remix of "We Belong Together" which isn't as massive as the original but incredibly great all the same, featuring Styles P and Jadakiss. There's the "Go Crazy" remix with Fat Joe and Jay-Z, although I'm not as big on that track as some. "Pon de Replay," "Outta Control (remix)" and "Stay Fly" are my biggest favorites. I'm not as wild about "Gold Digger" or Teiarra Mari or "Lose Control" as some. For me "One Thing" peaked early and though I do like it I'm kind of tired of talking about it now! "Sittin Sidewayz" made for a pretty cool track to hear blasting from passing cars with its weird-ish bassline. Damien Marley is the other obvious one, along with Lil Kim's "Lighters Up."

Last edited:

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Based just on the number of cars I heard booming it, Jamrock was definitely Brooklyn's summer jam this year. Whisper Song probably a close second...

atomly

atomiq one
DavidD said:
Heyyyy I know your friend Adam D. from the internet. I too am from Chicago. I saw you spin at ... tini martini? something like that. Some place on milwaukee near Western.

The show with DJ Funk?

Anyway, if I had to pick one summer jam from this year, I think I'd have to settle on "Still Tippin"