GRIM vs. GRIME : verdict?

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
i think grim is the lamest genre name in a long time... let it go already. Some of the tunes are ok though.

ToRMeNT

^^ heh. I just wanted to see what the reaction would be. I dont' differentiate the sounds too much, but I get the more overt industrial sounds, or influences. Its just a cheeky genre reference i'm sure.

I like the music regardless. I like it cold.

zhao

there are no accidents
I is working on another mix (not the one I need Lady Sov for) called Griminology. spiffy name donchathink

tate

Brown Sugar
My impression is that the Boxcutter tune falls on the dubstep-ier side of breakstep/'underground breaks' ?

The best way to get a handle on 'grim' would be to go to Boomkat and listen to all of the 'grim dubs' volumes.

The Boxcutter (hot flush) b-side is also lovely, though I really wonder what to call that. There's a nice mix that opens with it, followed by Digital Mystikz's Stuck (amazing as well) etc, here:

http://dubstep.forumsplace.com/message29.html&sid=113ee5beb12b2a1f215f8a145dc97522

Last edited:
Tate said:
My impression is that the Boxcutter tune falls on the dubstep-ier side of breakstep or 'underground breaks.' Though I look forward to Paul Rose's and Martin Clark's response. . .

The Boxcutter (hotflush) b-side is also lovely, though I really wonder what to call that.

I'm gonna be interviewing Barry very shortly. Hopefully we'll all get a few answers there. As for the Hotflush b-side...that features quite a bit of live instrumentation, Barry's an incredibily versatile multi-instrumentalist and 'Sunshine' was a bit influenced by Alice Coltrane. My latest GutterFM show kicks off with another Boxcutter exclusive.

tate

Brown Sugar
mms said:
this thread most retarded thread ever - verdict?

lol no disagreement there really

though discussing the recent boxcutter, like other recent 12"s on a similar tip (hot flush, storming, boka, whatever), doesn't strike me as particularly retarded

esp if a person is playing this stuff out and trying to spread the breakstep & dubstep sounds to stateside audiences

mms

sometimes
Tate said:
lol no disagreement there really

though discussing the recent boxcutter, like other recent 12"s on a similar tip (hot flush, storming, boka, whatever), doesn't strike me as particularly retarded

esp if a person is playing this stuff out and trying to spread the breakstep & dubstep sounds to stateside audiences

sure
nice one. :)