Finisterre

blissblogger

just reviewed this Saint Etienne presents project and wonder what people thought about it

i really enjoyed it but felt that in a weird way it over-aestheticized London, and in the process had to pretty much exclude the actual population of the city -- lots of deserted tableaus, attractively composed shots of buildings, hardly any motion or activity

there's doubtless a thousand ways of looking at London but it struck me that a truer one would be a lot less pleasant to look at

still given that Saint Etienne are supreme pop aesthetes it totally fits their way of walking through the world

blissblogger

oh i assumed it was if not a big deal in the uk then a medium-sized deal at least
(it's only just come out here),

it's this film that Saint Etienne started to go with their album Finisterre from 2002 but it escalated into a bigger project -- not directed by them but Bob Stanley co-wrote the voiceover (narrated in woody, prissy tones of act-or michael jayston) with kevin pearce of something beginning with O/Tangents fame and one of the directors, kieran evans. it's sort of a psychogeographic wander through London, heavily inspired by ian nairn's the london nobody knows and another guy's book on london (might have got the two mixed up) anyway they're both cited right upfront in the voiceover -- i suspect that film London (who done that again? someone was talking about here only the other day) was an influence, also iain sinclair no doubt. plus aesthetics of delapidation and bygone times wise it converges a bit with adrian maddox's Classic Cafes -- quite a few shots of greasy spoons.

oh yes, as well as the voiceover (which is nicely evocative if occasionally a bit sub-dylan thomas) there's brief interview chat with various sorts -- but none of them are ever seen (in keeping with the general thing of the film which is to keep human beings out as much as possible) , there's a couple of artists, vic godard and lawrence from denim are in there, as is mark perry -- shena mackay -- vashti bunyan -- ... and so forth... very much a saint etienne canon

as i say very enjoyable but not w/o flaws

Patrick Keiller is your 'London' man. haven't seen Finisterrre yet but was struck by how similar it seems conceptully, I imagine Keiller's film is an influence. St Etiennes next film looks interesting, its about the Lea Valley in East London, apparently the birthplace of petrol and plastic. I think they started making it before the Lodon winning Olympic bid was announced, its prescient now considering the transformation thats going to occur in the Stratford area. They're showing it at the Barbican with live music later this month

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Oh, I'm intrigued, can't believe this one has passed me by...

Jayston was in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and like everyone in that serial, has earned my eternal respect because of that...

blissblogger

blimey they'll already made another film it seems, here's a thing from tangents which i've cut and pasted wholesale as you can't link specific articles on their site for some reason.

"A Hymn To The Urban Romantics
Last night I had the great pleasure of seeing the new St Etienne film What Have You Done Today Mervyn Day? in their ‘Hymns to London Revisited’ show. Now I had loved their first film project with Paul Kelly, the marvellous Finisterre, so I was really looking forward to seeing what tricks the talented team would pull out of the bag this time. I wasn’t disappointed.

Now perhaps unsurprisingly, watching Mervyn Day immediately put me in mind of how I felt when I first saw Finisterre: it was like I was watching something I could have made myself. By which I don’t mean any old sod with a video camera could have made it, but rather that this was something speaking to me with a visual voice I could recognise as being similar to my own. And that’s a feeling that is both unsettling and comforting all at once.

Paul Kelly makes films with the eye of a stills photographer. He’s infatuated with surface detail, understanding that it’s through such detail that we can tell the bigger stories with so much more eloquence than with large expansive panning shots. He’s also intrigued by textual elements, and anyone who’s seen Walker Evan’s classic photographs of signs will understand the value of that. His visual voice is spare but full of a warmth that’s difficult not to be engaged by. It’s hard not to be pulled into his films, not to be carried along by the narratives that weave through them. Even (especially) in a film like Finisterre where there is no traditional narrative structure to hang on to. And even though there is a narrative of sorts within Mervyn Day, it serves more as a vehicle to carry something more lasting; and that is a snapshot of an environment, of a geographical location and of a people overlooked for so long, and whose world will be irrevocably changed by the coming of the Olympics to this part of London in 2012.

In Mervyn Day Kelly’s visual voice is again more than ably supported by the voice of scriptwriter Kevin Pearce, and of course by the aural voice of the St Etienne band who last night performed a live accompaniment that was as sublime as it was seamlessly integrated. Kevin of course is one of the great Pop writers of this or any time, and his clipped prose, full of natural rhythm and exquisite timing is perfectly in tune with the aesthetic that threads through the art forms of all those involved. David Essex and Linda Robson give glorious physical voice to much of Pearce’s concise and quietly clever script, though the talking heads of locals with their memoirs and thoughts for the future merge seamlessly and are every bit as evocative and powerful.

Similarly, the ghostly radio transmissions reporting the London suicide bombings that punctuate the film root it very strongly to its context. Eerily, the original premise of the film was always that it was to be set on the day after the announcement of the Olympic bid result: indeed when filming started no-one even thought London would be successful, and who on earth could have envisaged the other events of that day? It would of course have been easy to make more of the horrors, and perhaps even more tempting to sidestep them altogether, but it’s to everyone’s credit that all the threads, both planned and unplanned for, have been pulled together in such a sensitive and underplayed manner. Ultimately what this team have created is a beautiful capsule that pulses backwards and forwards through time. It plays the tricks of cinema by making the grim beautiful and the real unreal whilst simultaneously celebrating the most inventive of post-war British documentary traditions; presenting facts within a historical context that itself ducks and dives around a mediated fiction.

With delightful winks back to their previous film (the old baker’s bike ridden by paperboy Mervyn - perfectly played by Kelly’s nephew Noah - is a nod back to the boneshakers Vic Godard talked about in Finisterre), What Have You Done Today Mervyn Day? is further evidence that marks out St Etienne and their extended creative team as one of the most quietly adventurous and observant urban romantics of this time or any. We should treasure them all enormously.
© 2005 Alistair Fitchett"

Melmoth

Bruxist
Saw these this weekend. Finisterre is incredibly dull and cliched, The London Nobody knows, however, is extraordinary, like Sans Soleil crossed with Steptoe and Son.

Its on in the ICA tonight and tomorrow only I think. One for the psychogeographers.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I haven't seen all of Finisterre but the bits I've seen looked alright.

It was a medium-sized deal over here. There was a great piece on the Today programme about it.

Peter Keiller's stuff. Is. The. Fucking. Bomb.

Can we have a thread about our favourite bits of Tinker Tailor (mine is probably the bit at the end where Toby Esterhazy is listing his demands for co-operation, or possibly the bit with Smiley in the rain doing surveillance) together with a comparison of the book with Absolute Friends. Or at least a(nother) K-Punk exegesis about it on his blog.