riddim hunt

zhao

there are no accidents
are there any big big riddims from the past year or 2 you would recommend?

crucial like Red Alert or Diwali or Coolie Dance from around 2003.

also if there is anything from before this period (1990s? 2001? 2002?) that are just ace let me know... I would click on every link on Soundquake but just haven't the time! tanks!

boomnoise

♫
2005ish riddims i've had a lot of time for: scallahwah, applause, season, ice cube, cartoon, turmoil, bionic ras (obv.), fowl fight, dunn's river, driven kopa, state of emergency, move, siren and hello moto.

zhao

there are no accidents
I got Drop Leaf cuz I heard it mentioned in a positive light... but was very dissapointed. big snoozer! maybe I'd play it if people on the floor wanted to take a nap...

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
ivan, hammer, dreamweaver, mexican, assault rifle, indian summer, judgement, tabla, kasablanca, furnace, ceaser are all riddims i've seen people go nuts for...

you can go here and search the riddim names (sirene for example) to hear samples before you buy.. thats what i do, then i order from here:

http://oj36records.com/

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
confucius said:
I got Drop Leaf cuz I heard it mentioned in a positive light... but was very dissapointed.
As I said earlier, Drop Leaf sucks. It really does.

Top this year is Notorious riddim -- this is easily the best record of the year in any genre -- followed up by Bionic Ras.

For earlier stuff seek out the BoomBoom Bashment and Nervous Ragga mixes.

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
nah, the drop leaf is good - era-defining shit that people will remember that as THE riddim of late 2004/2005. i like the way it owes as much to hip-hop as roots and took the one-drop ball and really ran with it, especially when viewed in the light of all vendetta's other stuff: fast and rigid vs loose and swinging. do you mean the scallawah, when you say notorious paul. if so i'd agree but not enough versions on it.

john eden

male pale and stale
2stepfan said:
As I said earlier, Drop Leaf sucks. It really does.

The TOK cut is fantastic. :mad:

2stepfan said:
Top this year is Notorious riddim -- this is easily the best record of the year in any genre -- followed up by Bionic Ras.

"Notorious" is on Scallawah riddim, innit.

2stepfan said:
For earlier stuff seek out the BoomBoom Bashment and Nervous Ragga mixes.

You could do worse than check the mixes on Bassnation and Molex Roots also.

There was this really good blog called Breaking Ranks as well, but I think the guy has given up the ghost. :(

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
stelfox said:
nah, the drop leaf is good - era-defining shit that people will remember that as THE riddim of late 2004/2005.
Dave, since you are THE MAN I decided to listen to it once again. And it still sounds like just another light weight minor key arpeggio moaner to me. Are there two Drop Leafs? Cos it doesn't sound very One Drop to me.

stelfox said:
do you mean the scallawah, when you say notorious paul. if so i'd agree but not enough versions on it.
Yes. But then, this sounds like The End Of The World.

My other fave record of the year is Bump Bump, which I am given to understand has been out for chuffing ages, not least on the R Kelly CD -- which I nearly bought just to get it. Marvellous stuff.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
john eden said:
The TOK cut is fantastic. :mad:
Nah, don't know that. The cuts I've heard are wack though.
john eden said:
There was this really good blog called Breaking Ranks as well, but I think the guy has given up the ghost. :(
Yeah, he was giving it all that talking about doing some massive mixes but not many of them came through and, well, I reckon he just figured he wasn't big enough to stay in the game. Shame really.

john eden

male pale and stale
2stepfan said:
Nah, don't know that. The cuts I've heard are wack though.

A female colleague at work went mental for it at Carnival and has subsequently bought, and lent me, the album.

Maxi Priest is good too! :mad:

D

droid

Im having a hard time getting into most of the new riddims these days... ever since the first Greensleeves riddim album came out with the 'Bellyas' (when even Chris Goldfinger started complaining of too many versions on each riddim), I reckon things have been going slowly downhill creatively. Obviously stuff like summer bounce/applause/bionic ras etc are great riddims, and theres been a few classics here and there but Ive found that im only really into about 50 or so riddims from the last 5 years... and almost nothing hits in the way that the glories of 80s and 90s roots and ragga do...

Is dancehall in a bit of a rut - or is it just me? :confused:

gabriel

The Heatwave
confucius said:
I would click on every link on Soundquake but just haven't the time! tanks!

you have to make the time ... the only way to dig out the good stuff is to trawl through all the shit! :cool:

john eden

male pale and stale
Droid I thinkI agree with you in some ways, but I'm sure there were all sorts of rubbish riddims being produced in the 90s, it's just that the riddim LP thing means that all the rubbish riddims now come in 20 or 40 cuts which are readily accessible.

50 riddims in 5 years seems like a lot to me. :D

But my main problem with a lot of the stuff on Boom Boom Bashment was that even if you find a good riddim you have to trawl through some really bad vocals/lyrics to find 3 or 4 versions which are of the required brilliance. Mexican would be a good example - sounds great, but most of the vocals are dire.

What was that guy's name who did Breaking Ranks? :confused:

Dave?

Dave something...