Blunkett teleplay

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Did anyone see this on the new c4 digital channel on Monday?

I thought it was perfectly dreadful... not only were the characterizations witlessly pasteboard and devoid of any surprise, you ended up being sympathetic to Blunkett, which can't have been the point... More disturbingly, the production seemed - like the coverage at the time - to be shockingly misogynistic... Doon Mckichans's 'characterization' of Cherie consisted solely in pulling silly faces, but worst of all was the absurd savaging of Kimberly Quinn, who was so depicted as so unredeemably malevolent as to defy all credibility... her behaviour was totally erratic, switching wildly from scene to scene in accordance with no logic at all.. what was her motivation? what did she get out of the liaison with Blunkett? we were invited to conclude that her motives were entirely self-serving, but received no enlightenment as to WHY she perceived it to be in her own interest to have an affair with him...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
thank god we're agreeing on something at long last mark. it was so obvious and lacking in nuance that it made me think that it was actually political satire for hollyoaks fans. i hated the way they portrayed blunkett as some kind of retard - sure, the dude is blind and looks a bit funny but he is NOT stupid. that he's quite canny is the very reasons he had the potential to become one of the most dangerous home secretaries ever. the female characters weren't even characters - some so thin and vapid that they barely had any impact at all (carole caplin - possibly this is the case in real life with her, though - cherie blair etc) and kimberly quinn was just irredeemable, which i'm sure she isn't. in the end you felt blunkett was just a lovesick mental pygmy being played by this totally unsympathetic femme fatale figure, which i'm more or less positive wasn't the case. the fact is that blunkett's arrogance was his downfall, the fact that he thought he could get away with shit - not that he was a completely pussywhipped incompetent. even the jeffrey archer thing from a while back was better (mainly thanks to the scene where archer hit it from the back with margaret thatcher- a real triumph of grotesquerie as afr as i'm concerned). it's also funny that i watched this about two days after watching the entire first series of house of cards, which brought it into real sharp relief how good parliamentary satire can be when it's good and how ghastly it can be when its not.

Last edited:

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
stelfox said:
in the end you felt blunkett was just a lovesick mental pygmy being played by this totally unsympathetic femme fatale figure, which i'm more or less positive wasn't the case.

yes, it was completely implausible, and didn't even have an internal logic that would have made sense of Kimberly Quinn's conduct, which appeared random and unmotivated. I can't help thinking that the power elite would have been reassured by the whole thing .... the depiction of each of the characters (Boris Johnson - slightly scurrilous buffoon; Alistair Campbell, ruthless Machiavell) was so of a piece with their standard media images... we weren't being shown behind the scenes, we were being shown the SAME scenes, once again, this time as farce...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
actually yr spot-on - it wasn't satire, it was pure farce which is of course and entirely different thing. it was exactly like a brian rix version of the already received position.