Pretty funny review of a Prefuse 73 gig

petergunn

plywood violin
flex unger speaks!

my friend and occasional DJ and production partner wrote this review of a Prefuse 73 gig 2 years ago in Brooklyn:

yeah
i caught that show at southpaw
hello crackheads
this is Flex Unger
big ups to Small Change for adding me to the list

the show was pretty good
the guy who openned was the same drummer who is now playing
live drums for prefuse on the tour
but i forget his name
i think matt something
he did a cool one man show thing
that was good for me to see

then
manitoba hit the stage with matching red hoodies and animal masks
but there two drummers were off the hook
there were parts that lacked but over all the good out wieghed the bad
the teddy bears marching made my girl go awwwww
and there songs seemed together

then fourtet
rocked a completely different mood
and kinda chilled things a little
but it seemed like he realized he was bringing it to down tempo and
dropped
in more head nod shit to make you break yo neck
also
i liked how he gave the lighting guy a dirty look when he tried to do
flashy
rock show lights
and just gave him the no no finger shake
plus
its weird for a recluse like me to go out and see what the people who
make
this music look like
overall the experience for me was good cause i can no longer make it up
in my
head
speaking of heads that fourtet guys head is special
his head
i dont know its just weird

and finally
prefuse 73
took the stage with what looked like there entire studio
and my first thought was god damn
i would never take that much expensive shit into brooknam
but maybe that s cause i grew up here
and remember that area when you would get yo ass knocked out for your
jordans

anyway enuff social comintary
the music was bangin
everyone was bouncing and i felt like wow this is the first time in
along
time ive seen instrumental music make shit bubble like that
however
there sound was mixed mad tinny and harsh
it all sounded musically perfect but the shit was peaking
also ps
it would not be a true flex unger review if i do not mention some inane
shit
about
a female
so
i have to say there was this little posse of dark haired girls
with big noses (major turn on)
with the skin complexion of a lightly baked roll
i could nt help to think wow
women actually like this music
and cute cute cute ones too

on a scale of 1 to 10
i give it a 7

FLEX UNGER

toasted

what a douchebag.

no more rephlex comps for igloo. if you'd rather listen to inxs in a pub why work for a muso mag? c*ck.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
toasted said:
what a douchebag.

no more rephlex comps for igloo. if you'd rather listen to inxs in a pub why work for a muso mag? c*ck.

Haha.. that's only one writer out of quite a few ... and we're all volunteers. Well, I think so. If the others are getting paid I want to know about it. ;)

I think lots of contributors would get appropriately creamy over Rephlex goodies, so you're not wasting your time giving igloo that stuff. IMO.

D84

Ha ha I actually liked the review. Thanks, Michael. I can totally relate with the preference for sitting in pub sometimes. I *hate* standing in line for anything...

What's a download juke-box? Sounds interesting...

atomly

atomiq one
Haha.. I/O. I played at that place in like February at some wanky show with Kool Keith and Otto von Schirach and the dude at the door even tried to give me attitude. Such a weird spot-- a club with an outdoor patio right in the middle of a residential section of a shitty neighborhood.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
"do you know who i am!"

top tips: if this ever happens to you, it has to me fairly frequently, smile at the door person, be nice and say: "look mate, i'm sorry but i wouldn't be here if i didn't have to be. i'd rather be at home with the telly. go on, help me out here..." or something and they generally let you in pretty quickly.

also if you're going to be smarmy about someone, al least spell their name correctly: it's herren, not heron -if you want people to extend you journalistic privileges (such as they are!), at least do the job properly.

not many people know about small internet magazines. if you wanna be recognised, work for titles people are aware of and even then don't count on it.

Last edited:

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
It's kind of funny that review, but I hate anything which starts with the likes of "I picked up my mate Scott and his girlfriend Lisa at the train station, which was eerily quiet at the time". I don't want a stream of conciousness, I want a review!

dHarry

it wasn't so bad until this :

"One night we were getting ready to go home, so we put all the weird ambient and noise shit from Aphex Twin’s Drukqs on. Lo and behold, within mere moments there were a couple of John Deeres beating on the side of the box & hootin’ “Wot th’ haile’s wrong widdis thang?” We snuck out, snickering the whole way. "

- wow, he's both incredibly cool (knows all about that weird ambient and noise shit) :rolleyes: and funny (likes to snicker behind people's backs and then mock them publicly for their "ignorance") :mad:

D84

dHarry said:
it wasn't so bad until this :

"One night we were getting ready to go home, so we put all the weird ambient and noise shit from Aphex Twin’s Drukqs on. Lo and behold, within mere moments there were a couple of John Deeres beating on the side of the box & hootin’ “Wot th’ haile’s wrong widdis thang?” We snuck out, snickering the whole way. "

- wow, he's both incredibly cool (knows all about that weird ambient and noise shit) :rolleyes: and funny (likes to snicker behind people's backs and then mock them publicly for their "ignorance") :mad:

yeah good point.

mms

sometimes
michael said:
Haha.. that's only one writer out of quite a few ... and we're all volunteers. Well, I think so. If the others are getting paid I want to know about it. ;)

I think lots of contributors would get appropriately creamy over Rephlex goodies, so you're not wasting your time giving igloo that stuff. IMO.

prefuse ain't on rephlex anyway